Art Shell - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Art Shell

Moderator: Football Moderators

Art Shell

Postby ateam » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:11 am

My gawd, this dude looks as inspirational as a morgue.

As a lifelong Raiders fan, this is dis-freakin-gusting.

Al: Can you please sell the team to someone competent, and not senile?! Please!

It's crazy how pathetic this franchise has become, I can go on and on, but that would show more care than anyone of these embarassments of "players" that are collecting checks.

:-t 8-o :-# :-t
I hate LJ Smith!
ateam
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bravos of Steel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:17 am

I'm not sure if their downfall is his fault, but man do I feel bad for the guy. I can't help but cringe when I see post-game interviews, hanging his head low, quietly reading off the things his team didn't do that particular game. It seems like an every week thing, nowadays (except for when they looked like Super Bowl Champs against my Steelers :-# )
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ateam » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:28 am

I certainly didn't mean to imply it's Art's fault. But my goodness, Al Davis is too in love with himself and his ego, to let go of Gruden and Shannahan, and those are the types of personalities that are in order here.

In order of blame:

Al Davis
Al Davis
Al Davis
Players
Art Shell and his staff (including the bed & breakfast Off. Cordinator).
I hate LJ Smith!
ateam
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SniperShot » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:57 am

Art Shell is a great coach IMO. There is a point where the players have to take the field and perform. He may in fact have very productive practices and good gameplans. But if your players can't take the field and play, it's useless.

It all begins at the offensive line. (Doesn't it always?) Until these guys learn how to block nothing is going to turn around for the Raiders. What's his name, Gallery, played like somebodys grandmother. He was getting run over more than half the offensive snaps. The defensive players were pressuring Walter so much on EVERY play it was almost sad to watch.

I dunno the problems are many. There were some bright spots though, the Raiders did put together a nice drive (Lamont, Lamont, Lamont) and there were a couple of holes made with some nice run blocking but no way was it enough to start any kind of consistancy.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby dgan » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:58 am

I don't know...if I dare agree with Theismann for a nanosecond 8-o the coaching staff completely gave up on that game IMO. Either that or they are totally incompetent. They watched their QB get sacked 3 times in a row before he had even set his feet, and they started the following drive off with a first down pass that resulted in a...you guessed it...a sack. I think there is plenty blame to go around that Shell and staff deserve as much as anyone else.

I mean, you could see it. It only takes one guy to mess up an offensive play. That means, you only have to give up once every 11 plays...and if everyone does that, you never run a single good play the whole game. Which is pretty much what Oakland did. The line gave up trying to block anyone, there was no max protection sent in from the sidelines, the WRs stopped trying to get open, and then when all those people actually did their jobs, Walter was completely unprepared to make a decent throw...who could blame him? Jordan nearly had less carries than Walter was sacked...how can you not blame that on the coaches?

All I know is that is the most embarrassing offensive performance I have ever seen by an NFL team in a primetime game. Ever. Not even a question.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby mattb47 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:07 am

I dont blame Shell for the Raiders lack of success this season. He has done very well with what he has had to work with which is one of the least talented teams in the NFL. I apologize to Raiders fans but you just don't have the kind of talent at enough key positions to really compete many weeks. The defense has been pretty solid for the most part recently, but the offense just can't score. I'm actually pretty amazed that Art has won 2 games with this team, far better than I expected at this point in the season.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 2ksports » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:12 am

need a new OC
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby a4ce » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:18 am

Al Davis needs to stop calling the shots. He needs to turn it over to someone who is not living in the past. He can just be the figurehead of the Raiders. Kinda like the Queen of England. People associate her with England but she has no power whatsoever running the country.

Next, the OC Walsh should go back to where ever he was the mayor and leave football for good. He too is living in the past with his playcalling. It was crap before and it's crap now.

As far as Art Shell goes, he can stay. Not as the OC but just the HC. He did alright with the discipline aspect and being a Raider aspect.

As a longtime Raider fan, I'm not about to jump ship but this f'n sucks big time. Win, lose, or tie, Raiders till I die!
Cash Money Brothers! - PPR
QB: Romo and Luck
RB: Shady, Spiller, Sproles, Joique, Giovani, Miller, and Le'veon (IR)
WR: AJ Green, Wayne, Bowe, Thompkins, and Gordon (IR)
TE: Witten
K: Prater
D/ST: 'Hawks
Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K and D/ST
a4ce
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 6)

Postby DrSpackle » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:02 am

The NFL needs the Raiders to be the Raiders -- the team eveyone loves to hate. The Raiders (used to) have a reputation of outcasts, villians and other unwanted players who put these pieces together and played good football. They were feared, they cheated, they were bullies, they would punch you in the mouth and then kick your dog. And they were good at it!

But now it's just sad. No one fears them and everyone just feels sorry for them.

The NFL needs the Raiders. There is no other team that fills that role! When the Raiders are winning and playing Raider football, people tune in just to root against them. The NFL needs the Raiders. The Raiders are good for the NFL.

And it is Al Davis' fault the Raiders have fallen so far. He is the Raiders.
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Matthias » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:07 am

a4ce wrote:Al Davis needs to stop calling the shots. He needs to turn it over to someone who is not living in the past. He can just be the figurehead of the Raiders. Kinda like the Queen of England. People associate her with England but she has no power whatsoever running the country.

God save Art Shell? ;-)
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk