Art Shell - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Art Shell

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:12 pm

SniperShot wrote:Art Shell is a great coach IMO. There is a point where the players have to take the field and perform. He may in fact have very productive practices and good gameplans. .

Art Shell is a great coach? The man is STUPID. Productive practices and GOOD GAMEPLANS?!? Have you been watching the games? I've seen better gameplans written up on binder paper at a youth recreational flag football league hosted at the local middle scchool. Shell has had the same offensive gameplan in place since week 1 of the NFL PREseason. It got dominated in week 1 of the regular season, and Shell stubbornly (or ignorantly) expects it to "click" or something.

I have a strong belief, that if I was the coach of the Oakland Raider's for one Sunday, the team would put more points on the board. Hell, probably half of the cafe could play coach for the day and you would see a marked improvement. I realize that I would most likely completely suck, as I have no football coaching experience, but even I can see the Art Shell's system is inherently flawed and outdated in today's NFL. I know they are the worst offense in the NFL at this point in pretty much every aspect, I think it goes futher than that. Is this the worst in the history of the NFL that we are witnessing?

Until Art Shell learns how to design an offense, or hires someone that does, the Raider's O-line will continue to look like the worst in the league no matter who is blocking and who is throwing the football. I really feel sorry for Gallery and CO. because they are just not being put in a position to succeed at all. The media likes to blame them for the failures of the head coach and the OC to design an intelligent plan. And the player hurt the most in all of this is Andrew Walter, once a pretty promising 3rd round QB prospect, who is most likely a ruined player after this season and out of the NFL in 3 years.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:37 pm

I feel sorry for Art Shell. He may have been great for his discipline and work ethic aspect but half of the staff he assembled is utter shite that should go back to whatever jobs they held previously and never return to football. I kind of see the hiring of Shell like Detroit and their hiring of Marinelli. Both have reputations as hard-line discipline guys. But Marinelli gets Mike Martz and Donnie Henderson as his OC and DC respectively, guys proven to be successful in those roles and current at that.

Rex Ryan as the DC wasn't that bad of a pick. Being the LB coach for the Pats is good experience, plus his brother is the DC of the Ravens and his dad was the creator of the feared '85 Bears defense. His defensive unit right now is at least respectable. But the offensive side is horrendous. Walsh and his offensive staff have done absolutely nothing and actually seemed like they regressed the progression of the offensive players. Shell screwed up on the offensive side by dredging up an old Raiders relic from the past instead of getting someone with current experience.

Would anyone be surprised if Shell gets fired after this season or maybe even resigns? I think he should get a pass this year, but he definitely needs to fire his offensive coaches.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:03 pm

beanoX3 wrote:
Would anyone be surprised if Shell gets fired after this season or maybe even resigns? I think he should get a pass this year, but he definitely needs to fire his offensive coaches.

I think Oakland should pull an Arizona and demote his ass to a paper pusher. Ok, maybe that is a little harsh, make Shell an O-line assistant coach. Keep Walsh on as a towel boy, after all he does have hotel management experience..Promote Ryan to interm head coach and then let him bring Fassel in as an assistant head coach on offense to finish out the season. Stop the embarassment.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby skinsfan » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:07 pm

I love the sideline report last night: "Art Shell was tight-lipped when I interviewed him..." Really? I've never seen the guy talk during a game, actually.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Midway » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:08 pm

What's up with the Raiders playing TWICE on MNF? That had to be one of the worst, lackluster, pathetic games I've ever seen. The Raiders looked worse than an arena league team.

That said, they're offense is archaic and way too simple. No motion, not shifts, no roll outs. They have a statue of a QB that does a great Bledsoe imitation. It's just sad to see how far Randy Moss has fallen.

Art doesn't exude any command or control of the situation. The Raiders have talent on defense, Sapp is actually playing pretty well. But that offense is way too simple for the NFL. They've put up an average of 3 pts in the second half of games all year.

Raiders fans, time to get out the paper bags.
Midway
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk