Depending on Horn's injury... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Depending on Horn's injury...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Depending on Horn's injury...

Postby Bravos of Steel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:15 am

Is it possible Devery Henderson could be, ironically, the new version of Marques Colston? Obviously, Colston would move to the WR1 on New Orleans. The way Drew Brees is playing down there, he incorporates everyone to his offense.

If Horn were to miss a good chunk of time this year, could Devery Henderson make a similar impact to how Colston started the year? I'd like to see the Cafe's opinion on this...
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gablefan » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:40 am

I would say Henderson would be a deep threat kind of guy and Colston would be the possession/ big play guy.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:53 am

gablefan wrote:I would say Henderson would be a deep threat kind of guy and Colston would be the possession/ big play guy.

I would agree with this statement. If anything, I think you should look at the past model of Joe Horn and Donte Stallworth when thinking about the roles of Colston and Devery Henderson.

Joe Horn was always the guy you went to when you needed a first down, but he also made a lot of big plays for TDs. Colston could slip into that role.

Stallworth was a deep threat, but he was not very reliable - making drops in key situations. He was effective at stretching the field, and he would have big games every once in a while (just enough to keep the offseason sleeper talk alive), but he was nto consistent in the least bit. Devery has had problems catching the ball at time, but he has good size and very good speed, so he will really add a vertical dimension to the offense.

So my expectations for Henderson (should Joe Horn miss significant time) are that he will have a few big games, but he will also disappear at times. You may be able to play matchups with him, but I think most of his value lies in dynasty leagues, with the possibility that Joe Horn may retire this offseason or next.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby TaDa » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:55 am

Brees definitely likes airing it out. I think Henderson would be a good start as he proved this Sunday. Thing is, everything I'm seeing says that it's very likely Horn will play week 10.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:54 pm

Drew Brees + Reggie Bush/Deuce McAllister is a deadly combination. McAllister pounds it, Bush draws coverage all over the field, and Brees' tears up the man coverage and finds the soft zone.

You just can't stop Colston in man. And no one seems to be willing to dare the Saint's running game to beat them. Whatever is happening, the Saint's WRs are getting open all day long and Brees is hitting them. I don't know that you can play a base defense and stop the Saint's passing game. The scary part is that the Saint's TE rarely even goes out into a pattern.

When will someone figure out that you need to play nickel versus the Saint's and dare McAllister to beat you? I guarantee you that his knee is not 100% after 25 carries.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:22 pm

I would go as far to playing Colston at TE and Henderson at WR if Horn is out another game(depending on how deep your league is)
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby mrblitz » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:24 pm

I like Devery, but to put him at Colston's unbelievable tear, I think may be premature.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:39 pm

I thought I read somewhere that the Saints were really iffy about Henderson in a more prominant role, so they kept him the WR3 and put some rookie/unknown in Horn's spot. Henderson did only get 3 receptions, which wasn't all that much more than normal. He only open some eyes because of of 2 TDs and 100 something yards.

Eh, but I haven't really watched Saints games this year, so I have no clue if Henderson's role was always as the deep threat when Horn was in the lineup or whether he got more looks this past Sunday than normal.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mrpu » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:41 pm

I'm thinking of picking up Dervey as a 3/4 wr, any idea how many looks he's been getting???? Thanks.
Mrpu
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk