Plindsey Def rankings/method? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Plindsey Def rankings/method?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Plindsey Def rankings/method?

Postby EagleFan68 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:18 am

what is this, I've been here all year and I often see references to it
[b]QB's [/b] E. MANNING / KITNA / CUTLER
[b]RBs[/b] R BROWN / WESTBROOK (R BUSH / MCGAHEE / L BETTS / D WILLIAMS )
[b]WRs[/b] ROY WILLIAMS / T OWENS / A JOHNSON / BERRIAN
[b]TE[/b] WITTEN / WATSON
[b]K[/b] GRAHAM
[b]DT[/b] PANTHERS
EagleFan68
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Plindsey Def rankings/method?

Postby bklik » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:21 am

EagleFan68 wrote:what is this, I've been here all year and I often see references to it

Ive talked to him about it. He pretty much just makes a bunch of numbers up, then justifies it by mentioning a secret formula.

:-b
TEAM A
LEINART, farve
HOUSH, ROY WILLIAMS, DRIVER, hackett, bennett, marshal
RUDI, BUSH, JORDAN, green
HEAP

TEAM B
PEYTON
WAYNE, BOLDIN, MARSHALL, gonzalez, marshall
PARKER, GREEN, chester, betts
WINSLOW
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby The Lung » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:25 am

EagleFan68 wrote:what is this, I've been here all year and I often see references to it

Check it out in the Who to Start/Bench forum. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby EagleFan68 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:28 am

The Lung wrote:

Check it out in the Who to Start/Bench forum. ;-D

Thanks
[b]QB's [/b] E. MANNING / KITNA / CUTLER
[b]RBs[/b] R BROWN / WESTBROOK (R BUSH / MCGAHEE / L BETTS / D WILLIAMS )
[b]WRs[/b] ROY WILLIAMS / T OWENS / A JOHNSON / BERRIAN
[b]TE[/b] WITTEN / WATSON
[b]K[/b] GRAHAM
[b]DT[/b] PANTHERS
EagleFan68
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby biju » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:29 am

If you, or anyone else reading this thread, is interested in how he comes up with these numbers here's the thread (look about half-way down the page):

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=103758

Granted, he's likely changed up the formula just a little since this post was made but it's the baseline.

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:11 pm

A little history...

About 3 season ago I got to thinking that while individual fantasy performance is somewhat unpredictable, the nature of playing team defenses is such that there is a certain degree of mathematical predictability to how certain defenses will perform against certain offenses... Being somewhat of a stat junky and math geek I decided to develop a mathematical formula to predict how fantasy defenses will perform against the offenses they face every week... The formula started out fairly simple (as posted above), but over the course of 3 seasons I have tweaked it dozens of times to account for an ever expanding group of variables...

The theory is simple - why play one defense all year long (good matchups and bad) when you can play a different defense off the waiver wire each week based on their matchup...

The current incarnation of the formula takes into account 10 variables per matchup, and I post the results in a stickied thread each week in the "Who to Start" forum.

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:57 pm

I can say, ive been using this formula, and for the most part it works. The key is learning to identify the "trap" games, where more than just the #s are concerned.

For instance, as plindsey points out in this weeks thread, the oakland/KC game could be a trap game.

Oakland is bad, and statistically, the teams they play usually put up good fantasy #s. But, Oakland vs KC is typically always a tuff game, lots of scoring, etc, despite how each team is doing. Its one of those games where you can "throw the records out the door". If you can indentify those games, which mathmatically there really is no way to account for, then the system works great. I started Seattle D this past week based on those rankings, and it got me 19 points.

So, while its not foolproof, its a good reference if you dont have chicago or Baltimore as your Defense.

Now, if only someone could come up with a system to rank place kickers weekley. Plindsey, not sure if you ever thought about it, but are there teams that give up more FGs than others? say a few teams that cant seem to stop anyone, but once they get in the redzone, the defense cracks down and holds the offense to 3?

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SniperShot » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:17 pm

biju wrote:If you, or anyone else reading this thread, is interested in how he comes up with these numbers here's the thread (look about half-way down the page):

Granted, he's likely changed up the formula just a little since this post was made but it's the baseline.

;-D
Am I the only one getting: The topic or post you requested does not exist
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:19 pm

SniperShot wrote:
biju wrote:If you, or anyone else reading this thread, is interested in how he comes up with these numbers here's the thread (look about half-way down the page):

;-D

Nah I'm getting it as well, just too lazy to say something.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby biju » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:29 pm

aaawall91 wrote:
SniperShot wrote:

;-D

Nah I'm getting it as well, just too lazy to say something.

Weird, I'm getting it too although when I posted this earlier it was certainly there. It's been in my "Favorites" for well over a year.

It's a conspiracy!

:-D

Regardless I have that old formula written down at home (for just that case) so I can build on it using my "homegrown" league's scoring system.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk