Dude, Where's my Leg? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dude, Where's my Leg?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dude, Where's my Leg?

Postby kid a » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:57 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=1634325

When rookie coach Jack Del Rio placed a stump of oak and an ax in the Jacksonville Jaguars locker room a few weeks ago as a motivational technique, symbolic of his theme to "keep choppin' wood," it was viewed as a sophomoric technique by some veterans.

Now the move is likely to be regarded as a huge mistake.

The Jaguars on Thursday lost Pro Bowl punter Chris Hanson for an undetermined amount of time -- ESPN.com has learned that he will be sidelined 4-6 weeks and could well miss the balance of the season -- when the fourth-year veteran was accidentally gashed on his right (non-kicking foot) while wielding the ax.

Hanson, 26, was taken to a local hospital for what Del Rio before practice termed "a gash of some sort." As it turned out, the injury was severe enough to require surgery. It is not known how long the surgery lasted or what steps were taken to close the gash.

The wound, agent Drew Rosenhaus told ESPN.com, was self-inflicted.

"Chris said that everyone else had been taking a swing with the ax, chopping the wood, and he finally decided to do it, too," Rosenhaus said. "Unfortunately, the ax either went through the wood, or bounced off it, and went into Chris' foot. Chris told me it is a pretty significant injury."

While it is likely that the injury will be fully healed before the end of the season, the Jaguars might be reluctant to carry two punters, using Royals but keeping Hanson on the roster as well. Team officials hinted Wednesday evening to Rosenhaus that they might place Hansen on injured reserve. That would end his season.

"They basically said," acknowledged Rosenhaus, "that there is a chance Chris might not punt again this year."

Jacksonville quickly signed veteran punter Mark Royals, released by the Miami Dolphins two weeks ago. Royals will punt on Sunday against his former teammates.

The accident apparently occurred during a team meeting that the kickers were not mandated to attend. Hanson departed the team's training complex on crutches.

Not surprisingly, the ax was removed from the locker room Thursday afternoon, and the tree stump will soon be gone as well.

It is somewhat surprising that franchise officials, and the league, would permit the tree stump and the ax, given the potential for the kind of incident that transpired Thursday. The stump had garnered plenty of media attention.

Said Del Rio: "I'll find another slogan. The message was understood. The thing was on its way out soon, but not soon enough. It was symbolic more than anything else."
kid a
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:44 pm

the rest of Dell Rio's quote: "I'm just glad I decided against the chainsaw!"

What an dope! You never give football players weapons!

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby deftdelivery » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:03 pm

LMAO
That's the dumbest story I've ever heard. Stupid DelRio
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:40 pm

hey isnt the "ax chop" jeremiah trotters thing?
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:25 pm

This has got to be "Goof of the week" and the games have not even started.

Friendliness: %

Postby AF » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:51 pm

I'm speachless because of the stupidity of this... Wow.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:10 pm

moochman wrote:the rest of Dell Rio's quote: "I'm just glad I decided against the chainsaw!"

LOL I tried like crazy to come up with a good response for this story but came up empty... good job! :-b
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby BradtheImpaler » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:13 pm

i first saw that at the bottom of the screen on espn...on that part where stats and info scroll by, and it said something like...."season ending injury due to injury by an axe"

WTF.....i had to watch outside the linbes for about 15 minutes just waiting for it to come back on so i could see who and what it was about...

Not surprisingly, the ax was removed from the locker room Thursday afternoon, and the tree stump will soon be gone as well.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-b
Angel Corpse, Vader, Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Krisiun, Malevolent Creation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Satyricon..........

"Anything less would be uncivilized"
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Homeless » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:15 pm

moochman wrote:the rest of Dell Rio's quote: "I'm just glad I decided against the chainsaw!"

LOL ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

removed the stump?

Postby cg482 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:32 pm

what if the surgery is not successful? Won't he need a peg leg?
cg482

Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Football Talk