So Oakland is the only team to be shutout... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

So Oakland is the only team to be shutout...

Moderator: Football Moderators

So Oakland is the only team to be shutout...

Postby twofoolwho » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:06 pm

... twice in one season on Monday night.

Maybe I'm dating myself here, but in my day, a team like Oakland wasn't given the chance to humiliate themselves on Monday night once in a year... let alone twice. Whats up with that. Its not like they were good last year.

One theory: ESPN has taken over Monday nights. I remember often wondering why ESPN always got all the bad games last year on Sunday night... now they're still getting all the bad games on Monday night. Is that in ESPN's contract?
twofoolwho
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:17 pm

Seems like a lot of people forget when the TV schedules are made. It's hard to judge how bad a team will be in week 9 when the schedules are drawn up in the offseason. MNF probably wasn't thinking about Oakland when they scheduled this game. They likely thought Seattle would be the feature and ESPN could hype SA like crazy. Instead, Oakland is competing with Arizona for "Worst in the NFL" and Seattle has no SA and Hasslebeck.

But I don't know why Oakland got the MNF season opener. I didn't think SD was that big a draw and we all knew how bad Oakland was last year. Eh, at least this year we don't have to watch 4+ MNF games of GB stinking up the place.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:23 pm

beanoX3 wrote:Seems like a lot of people forget when the TV schedules are made. It's hard to judge how bad a team will be in week 9 when the schedules are drawn up in the offseason. MNF probably wasn't thinking about Oakland when they scheduled this game. They likely thought Seattle would be the feature and ESPN could hype SA like crazy. Instead, Oakland is competing with Arizona for "Worst in the NFL" and Seattle has no SA and Hasslebeck.

But I don't know why Oakland got the MNF season opener. I didn't think SD was that big a draw and we all knew how bad Oakland was last year. Eh, at least this year we don't have to watch 4+ MNF games of GB stinking up the place.

but we still have to watch the Seattle vs GB stinker this year
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:42 pm

Alkaholik wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:But I don't know why Oakland got the MNF season opener. I didn't think SD was that big a draw and we all knew how bad Oakland was last year. Eh, at least this year we don't have to watch 4+ MNF games of GB stinking up the place.

but we still have to watch the Seattle vs GB stinker this year

Hey, 1 is totally fine with me. At the very least, we don't have to hear Madden gush over the size of Favre's hands. Theisman's gushing may not be much of an upgrade, but at least I've learned to tune him out and it's likely Kornhole will force him onto at least one contradiction.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:10 pm

I bet if oakland didnt have RANDY MOSS, they wouldnt have 2 MNF games. Its all about the big names

I mean, it just wouldnt be Monday night football without guys like Randy Moss and charles barkley, and the countless other actors and celebs that they have on as guestss....

I am sure that 9 months ago when they decided who would be on MNF, they werent thinking of seneca wallace vs Andrew Walters.

It was probably more like Shaun Alexander vs Randy Moss.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby RJ24VC15 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:19 pm

I'm suprised Redskins/Cowboys wasn't the monday game, both those teams wer hyped so much in the off season.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby Smee » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:34 pm

I'd really like to see all of the Primetime games subject to flex scheduling. That way we'd be able to avoid these stinkers.

I don't think that will be practical, changing days could be a real pain in the butt for teams....much more so than playing a day or night game on Sundays.
Smee
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:57 pm

Smee wrote:I'd really like to see all of the Primetime games subject to flex scheduling. That way we'd be able to avoid these stinkers.
I don't think that will be practical, changing days could be a real pain in the butt for teams....much more so than playing a day or night game on Sundays.

I thought they were. Is it only the day games then?
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:08 pm

Monday Night Games (ESPN) arent subject to flex scheduling.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Re: So Oakland is the only team to be shutout...

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:17 pm

twofoolwho wrote:... twice in one season on Monday night.

Maybe I'm dating myself here, but in my day, a team like Oakland wasn't given the chance to humiliate themselves on Monday night once in a year... let alone twice. Whats up with that. Its not like they were good last year.

One theory: ESPN has taken over Monday nights. I remember often wondering why ESPN always got all the bad games last year on Sunday night... now they're still getting all the bad games on Monday night. Is that in ESPN's contract?

A good defense... A potentially good QB in Aaron Brooks... A stud RB from last year in Lamont Jordan... Randy Moss... A very good number 2 in Jerry Porter... Warren Sapp... A good secondary... I could see why the scheduling folks at ESPN would have thought a game like Oakland/Seattle would be a good matchup this year... I guess no one considered their offensive line to be one of the worst in NFL history going into the season.. Unfortunately once the MNF games are set before the season, they can't be changed...
Last edited by Plindsey88 on Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk