Is there anything unethical to this Yahoo move? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is there anything unethical to this Yahoo move?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VHawk15 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:53 pm

Challie wrote:I'm just trying to sneak this by cause my league only has a 1-day waiver period. Since he waived Plummer yesterday, we find out at midnight (or whenver I fire up the computer tomorrow).

What's also nice about Yahoo is on the team & couches list page when you see your waiver priority, you can also see the date of last activity for each owner. Of the 5 teams ahead of me only one has made a move in the last 20 hours, so it's probably going to be me or him getting Plummer.

This is very unlikely to work closer to game day or in a league with 2- or 3-day waiver periods.

In a league in which the members aren't super-active, this tactic could work very well. Even if there is a 2 day waiting period.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dazedncnfz » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:57 pm

I don't see anything wrong with what you did...Just because you know how the system works and are trying to use it to your advantage, thats good for you. If they don't do their own reseach and see whos dropped and how player move off the front page thats their problem not yours..

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:28 pm

I agree with Dazed. There is nothing wrong whatsoever with what you did. If you are willing to throw out 1 of your guys for other people to pick up so that lazy owners who don't look at the "view all transactions" page can see all the changes that are being made then that's the lazy owners problem--not yours. You are always taking the chance that the guy that you drop will be picked up by someone else.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
mtarail
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TFM » Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:45 pm

hehe - i did the same thing to get the Seattle defense when the team that had them dropped them on their bye week. I had just done a waiver the day before, so i was bottom of the list. So i did a couple of transactions with no-names that didn't amount to anything to get it off. And sure enough, i got the Seattle def on waivers

Of course, it could just be that nobody else knew that when they were dropped, they were the second highest producing def behind KC at the time. But i never considered it unethical ... just working the system to my advantage.
"Please don't quote me in your signature" - Anonymous
TFM
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BradtheImpaler » Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:46 pm

good idea....i hope yah get plumber....my yahoo is messed up cause until somebody makes a waiver move we all stay in the same place, or course im #1 on the list, so hooray for me.
Angel Corpse, Vader, Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Krisiun, Malevolent Creation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Satyricon..........

"Anything less would be uncivilized"
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 4Pack » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:00 pm

Nothing wrong with what you did. In any Fantasy game....the managers that stay on top of what is happening in the league stand the best chance of having a successful season. Over the years I have gotten more than my share of great fantasy players with a low (8-12) waiver priority. I just picked up Rod Smith off of waivers with with the 10th waiver priority. Smith is not as good as fanatasy player that he once was...but he is worth a starting spot in almost any fantasy lineup.
4Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ottawa Man » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:31 pm

I would say there is nothing at all unethical about what you propose in a 3 day waiver league. You are just being smart. But in a 1 day waiver league you are basically forcing people to log in continually for them to not be disadvantaged. Everybody loses when it gets that way. On the other hand, the problem lies with the 1 day waiver rule, as opposed to what you are doing. If nobody complained about the 1 day waiver thing, they aren't in any position to complain now.
Ottawa Man
Water Boy
Water Boy

its their fault for not checking

Postby irishboy » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:08 pm

we dont have waivers in my league but if we did thats a good and fair strategy; their are other ways to check for available players ie the available players list; if they checked that plummer would be at the top
IRISH PRIDE (WHAT'S WRONG WITH ALL CAPS)
irishboy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Challie » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:15 am

FYI: I did indeed get Plummer while I was stumbling around last night (I live in San Diego and went to the Tequila Expo in Tijuana).

I agree, the 1-day waiver period is a little too short.

It still mystifies me that the guy who dropped Plummer is holding on to Brunell, 2 Ks, and 2 DEFs. Go figure. He's 4-1 right now with a marginal team and thinks he's King Sh*t of F*ck Mountain at the moment. I'm predicting a 6-10 finish for him.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The_Dude » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:29 pm

I'll keep this in mind in the future... not unethical at all... kind of clever if you ask me...

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk