Do your kids play "guns"? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Do your kids play "guns"?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:31 am

benjapage wrote:madison, when a child acts in this way, they are clamoring for consistent parenting. if this parent were consistent in her discipline, the child wouldn't have carried himself like this. lay the ground rules, revoke privileges, be stern, be consistent. from start to finish.

it's a tell-tale sign that the child had to be whacked to get under control. it's a hallmark of inattentive and spotty supervision.

I'm trying to come up with a response to this one but I am struck speechless by the sheer insanity and inanity of the whole thing...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby benjapage » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:30 am

it may be insane, but i'm just sharing what worked for me (and my parents) and how i plan to rear my own children.

b
brees (garrard, cutler)
LT2, Drew (turner, KJ, griffith)
holt, housh, rod smith (r.moss)
v.davis (stevens)
gould
patriots (bengals)
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:21 am

I agree with benja. The swat, while admired by Madison, was isolated, obviously. If it was not, a threat of the swat would have, at the very least, calmed the child down slightly. Instead, Madison described the child as unaffected by her 'pleads' to be still. Personally, I don't ask my child to behave, I tell him to behave. If he chooses not to, he's fully aware of what's coming...

Oh, and Madison....
The mother calmly tried to place their order and keep the little girl under some sort of control. Finally she said something to the little boy about him knowing better than to act like that, and for him to put his hands in his pockets, be still, and be quiet while she placed the order or he would get spanked for being rude and obnoxious to everyone around him.

Did she have 2 kids with her?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:12 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I agree with benja. The swat, while admired by Madison, was isolated, obviously. If it was not, a threat of the swat would have, at the very least, calmed the child down slightly. Instead, Madison described the child as unaffected by her 'pleads' to be still. Personally, I don't ask my child to behave, I tell him to behave. If he chooses not to, he's fully aware of what's coming...

Oh, and Madison....
The mother calmly tried to place their order and keep the little girl under some sort of control. Finally she said something to the little boy about him knowing better than to act like that, and for him to put his hands in his pockets, be still, and be quiet while she placed the order or he would get spanked for being rude and obnoxious to everyone around him.

Did she have 2 kids with her?

Nah, I fixed it. Was a boy. Was thinking of the little girl at Kroger (you heard my story about that, right?), talking on the phone, and exchanging emails when I wrote that post. I typically doublecheck my posts before submitting them, but obviously I didn't on that one. Lol. !+)

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:58 am

Madison wrote:Was thinking of the little girl at Kroger (you heard my story about that, right?)

Doesn't ring a bell right off-hand. Remind us would you?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby gablefan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:47 pm

benjapage wrote:
Madison wrote:True story: I was standing in line at Taco Bell one day when the lady at the front of the line's little boy went crazy. Pulling on her mother's dress, jumping around, making tons of noise, etc. The mother calmly tried to place their order and keep the little girl under some sort of control. Finally she said something to the little boy about him knowing better than to act like that, and for him to put his hands in his pockets, be still, and be quiet while she placed the order or he would get spanked for being rude and obnoxious to everyone around him. He didn't listen, and proceeded to try to jump onto the counter. So the mother grabbed his arm and smacked him on the butt twice. The other people in line stood there with their mouths hanging open while the kid started crying. I proceeded to applaud the lady. Another lady looked at me like I was nuts and I said something to the effect of "Hey, she told him it was coming, he didn't listen, so he got spanked. That's parenting ladies and gentlemen, and this country needs a whole lot more of it instead of parents who just don't care enough to do their job as parents." Then I looked at the mother, tipped my cap (baseball cap), said "Nice job", and nodded at her. She nodded back, and that was basically the end of it. :-b

madison, when a child acts in this way, they are clamoring for consistent parenting. if this parent were consistent in her discipline, the child wouldn't have carried himself like this. lay the ground rules, revoke privileges, be stern, be consistent. from start to finish.

it's a tell-tale sign that the child had to be whacked to get under control. it's a hallmark of inattentive and spotty supervision.

much respect,

b

But you cannot categorize ebery child and parent into one group.

Thats like saying "Since you smoked weed as a teenager your parents did a bad job raising you!" It just doesn't work that way. Sorry.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:55 pm

gablefan wrote:
benjapage wrote:
Madison wrote:True story: I was standing in line at Taco Bell one day when the lady at the front of the line's little boy went crazy. Pulling on her mother's dress, jumping around, making tons of noise, etc. The mother calmly tried to place their order and keep the little girl under some sort of control. Finally she said something to the little boy about him knowing better than to act like that, and for him to put his hands in his pockets, be still, and be quiet while she placed the order or he would get spanked for being rude and obnoxious to everyone around him. He didn't listen, and proceeded to try to jump onto the counter. So the mother grabbed his arm and smacked him on the butt twice. The other people in line stood there with their mouths hanging open while the kid started crying. I proceeded to applaud the lady. Another lady looked at me like I was nuts and I said something to the effect of "Hey, she told him it was coming, he didn't listen, so he got spanked. That's parenting ladies and gentlemen, and this country needs a whole lot more of it instead of parents who just don't care enough to do their job as parents." Then I looked at the mother, tipped my cap (baseball cap), said "Nice job", and nodded at her. She nodded back, and that was basically the end of it. :-b

madison, when a child acts in this way, they are clamoring for consistent parenting. if this parent were consistent in her discipline, the child wouldn't have carried himself like this. lay the ground rules, revoke privileges, be stern, be consistent. from start to finish.

much respect,

b

But you cannot categorize ebery child and parent into one group.

Thats like saying "Since you smoked weed as a teenager your parents did a bad job raising you!" It just doesn't work that way. Sorry.

I think what benja was pointing out that Madison was possibly implying that this parent did a good job raising and disciplining her child and that it was quite possible that this was not the case. She may have done the right thing in front of Madison by taking the necessary action, but this child's tantrum may have been an example of the lack of discipline that, more than likely, takes place.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby josebach » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:05 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
I think what benja was pointing out that Madison was possibly implying that this parent did a good job raising and disciplining her child and that it was quite possible that this was not the case. She may have done the right thing in front of Madison by taking the necessary action, but this child's tantrum may have been an example of the lack of discipline that, more than likely, takes place.

I don't know about that. One of my best friends has an 8 year old boy, a 5 year old boy and a stay at home wife. The 8 year old was extremly well behaved at age 5 yet the 5 year old is a complete and total hellion. Some kids throw tantrums and some don't. Just like adults, kids are genetically different from each other. I was a little terror when I was a child and my brother wasn't even though we were brought up the same way. An obnoxious kid is not necessarily indicative of bad parenting.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby gablefan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:15 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I think what benja was pointing out that Madison was possibly implying that this parent did a good job raising and disciplining her child and that it was quite possible that this was not the case. She may have done the right thing in front of Madison by taking the necessary action, but this child's tantrum may have been an example of the lack of discipline that, more than likely, takes place.

I think Jose just touched on it a bit above, but what I am saying is you cannot say "this child is acting that way because of this..." When you weren't even there. It is like saying all kids don't/ need to be spanked. My child will be, but I can respect the wishes of someone to not spank (As long as their kid isn't bopping me in the head with Play-Doh while the threat of "time-out" isn't working! :-b )

This is kind of like the Toys for Tots thread. You can have your own opinion and I can have mine, just don't force your opinion on me, because I won't force mine upon you.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:17 pm

josebach wrote:I don't know about that. One of my best friends has an 8 year old boy, a 5 year old boy and a stay at home wife. The 8 year old was extremly well behaved at age 5 yet the 5 year old is a complete and total hellion. Some kids throw tantrums and some don't. Just like adults, kids are genetically different from each other. I was a little terror when I was a child and my brother wasn't even though we were brought up the same way. An obnoxious kid is not necessarily indicative of bad parenting.

Very true. It’s hard to paint parents with a broad brush when a set of parents can have two or three very different children. The child plays a huge role in how they behave. My parents raised my sister and I in exactly the same way, but we turned out to be two very different people. A huge burden lays on the parents for the behavior of their children, but as we learned in Cool Hand Luke:

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk