Do your kids play "guns"? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Do your kids play "guns"?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:42 pm

I was pointing out what I thought benja meant by her post. No, I don't think 'naughty' kids are indicitive of bad parenting, all the time. Benja was pointing out, at least the way I interpreted it, that this parent was not necessarily a good parent just because Madison saw her make one good decision. It is likely that this child does this on a regular basis and the parent lets her get away with it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:07 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
gablefan wrote:
benjapage wrote:
Madison wrote:True story: I was standing in line at Taco Bell one day when the lady at the front of the line's little boy went crazy. Pulling on her mother's dress, jumping around, making tons of noise, etc. The mother calmly tried to place their order and keep the little girl under some sort of control. Finally she said something to the little boy about him knowing better than to act like that, and for him to put his hands in his pockets, be still, and be quiet while she placed the order or he would get spanked for being rude and obnoxious to everyone around him. He didn't listen, and proceeded to try to jump onto the counter. So the mother grabbed his arm and smacked him on the butt twice. The other people in line stood there with their mouths hanging open while the kid started crying. I proceeded to applaud the lady. Another lady looked at me like I was nuts and I said something to the effect of "Hey, she told him it was coming, he didn't listen, so he got spanked. That's parenting ladies and gentlemen, and this country needs a whole lot more of it instead of parents who just don't care enough to do their job as parents." Then I looked at the mother, tipped my cap (baseball cap), said "Nice job", and nodded at her. She nodded back, and that was basically the end of it. :-b

madison, when a child acts in this way, they are clamoring for consistent parenting. if this parent were consistent in her discipline, the child wouldn't have carried himself like this. lay the ground rules, revoke privileges, be stern, be consistent. from start to finish.

it's a tell-tale sign that the child had to be whacked to get under control. it's a hallmark of inattentive and spotty supervision.

much respect,

b

But you cannot categorize ebery child and parent into one group.

Thats like saying "Since you smoked weed as a teenager your parents did a bad job raising you!" It just doesn't work that way. Sorry.

I think what benja was pointing out that Madison was possibly implying that this parent did a good job raising and disciplining her child and that it was quite possible that this was not the case. She may have done the right thing in front of Madison by taking the necessary action, but this child's tantrum may have been an example of the lack of discipline that, more than likely, takes place.

Lots of deep thought. :-b

Here's what I was getting at. In this one case, the lady did what she should have done. She told the child what would happen if he didn't behave, stayed calm, and then followed through with it. While everyone else in line thought it was shocking, inappropriate, wrong, or whatever, I wanted to make sure she knew that what she did in that situation was correct, and I did. ;-D

Now as to what she did before that day, I have no clue. Maybe, just maybe she learned something with that experience though.

ORS, here's the Kroger story. I posted it awhile back on the baseball side:

Madison wrote:Might as well tell this story since the topic has been brought up.

A couple of weeks ago I was at Kroger's (supermarket) picking up a few things. While I was checking out the chips trying to figure out what I wanted, this woman said "Madison don't do that!". She was a good 10 feet away or so and I could see she had a little girl with her, so I figured it out and just tried to ignore her. Anyway, the mom kept on with the "Madison this" and "Madison that", so I finally turned to her and said "Would you please shut up and leave me alone?"

Stark wide eyed look of terror from the mother. :-b

So I said something along the lines of: "While I appreciate that you named your daughter after me, I don't need you repeating my name over and over and over again. It's unoriginal and unimaginative people like you that are sending the country down the toilet!".

Still the same look on her face.

So I said something like: "Do I have to spell this out for you? God America has really become dumb. MY name is Madison, so shut the hell up! Do you understand now, or do you have a lack of upbringing problem that's preventing you from being able to concentrate, and need me to repeat it again?"

The look of horror faded and I get this meek little reply of "I'm sorry.....I didn't know that was your name too.".

So I said, "Too? I was named long before your daughter in case you don't realize that fact. Doesn't matter though, just tell her whatever you're telling her and quit repeating my name like it's something special, or something you thought long and hard about and came up with on your own. It isn't. You pulled it out of a book for crying out loud self edited as it could be offensive, so shut up!".

And proceeded to leave.

Parents who constantly refer to their kids by name annoy me. "Jeffry Jeffry Jeffry". :-P Just so happened that I was already annoyed, and in this case it happened to be my name being used, so I let her have it. :-b
Last edited by Madison on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:15 pm

Madison wrote:Might as well tell this story since the topic has been brought up.

A couple of weeks ago I was at Kroger's (supermarket) picking up a few things. While I was checking out the chips trying to figure out what I wanted, this woman said "Madison don't do that!". She was a good 10 feet away or so and I could see she had a little girl with her, so I figured it out and just tried to ignore her. Anyway, the mom kept on with the "Madison this" and "Madison that", so I finally turned to her and said "Would you please shut up and leave me alone?"

So I said something along the lines of: "While I appreciate that you named your daughter after me, I don't need you repeating my name over and over and over again. It's unoriginal and unimaginative people like you that are sending the country down the toilet!".

So I said something like: "Do I have to spell this out for you? God America has really become dumb. MY name is Madison, so shut the hell up! Do you understand now, or do you have a lack of upbringing problem that's preventing you from being able to concentrate, and need me to repeat it again?"

The look of horror faded and I get this meek little reply of "I'm sorry.....I didn't know that was your name too.".

So I said, "Too? I was named long before your daughter in case you don't realize that fact. Doesn't matter though, just tell her whatever you're telling her and quit repeating my name like it's something special, or something you thought long and hard about and came up with on your own. It isn't. You pulled it out of a book for crying out loud self edited as it could be offensive, so shut up!".

And proceeded to leave.

Parents who constantly refer to their kids by name annoy me. "Jeffry Jeffry Jeffry". :-P Just so happened that I was already annoyed, and in this case it happened to be my name being used, so I let her have it. :-b

My good freind, just (today) became the proud father of a baby girl named Mary Madison.
madison this and madison that gimme my dang preserver back 8-o
Last edited by Redskins Win on Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:20 pm

And proceeded to leave.

Wow! That may in fact be the rudest, most unwarranted diatribe I've ever heard of. 8-o
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby danleroi22 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:24 pm

:-b That's classic.
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:26 pm

josebach wrote:Wow! That may in fact be the rudest, most unwarranted diatribe I've ever heard of. 8-o

Unwarranted how :-? ? The lady showed a total lack of respect for her fellow shoppers, along with a total lack of consideration for anyone else named Madison since she kept repeating it for absolutely zero reason. :-?

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:41 pm

Redskins Win wrote:

And proceeded to leave.

My good freind, just (today) became the proud father of a baby girl named Mary Madison.

mmmmm hmmmm
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:44 pm

Redskins Win wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:

And proceeded to leave.

mmmmm hmmmm

Yeah, another girl with my name. Lovely. ;-7

Congrats to your friend though. Hope everything went well and everyone's healthy. ;-D

As to the preserver, tough noogies. :-b
Last edited by Madison on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:45 pm

josebach wrote:

And proceeded to leave.

Wow! That may in fact be the rudest, most unwarranted diatribe I've ever heard of. 8-o

Uh... yeah. Did you really do that, Mad? And if you did, I just have to ask, "Why?!?!?!" What possible good could that have done?

8-o
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:05 pm

knapplc wrote:
josebach wrote:

And proceeded to leave.

Uh... yeah. Did you really do that, Mad? And if you did, I just have to ask, "Why?!?!?!" What possible good could that have done?

8-o

Yes, I did do that.

Does anyone think she will go around saying "Madison" every 5 seconds again? I'm going to say no. Parents who call their kid by name every 5 seconds annoy me (as stated in the original post), and I know I'm not the only one. Who is it, Chris Rock that's got the whole "Jeffrey, Jeffrey, Jeffrey" thing in one of his standup routines? It's annoying, plain and simple. Even more annoying when it's your name being used.

Good that came from what I did:

Saved everyone from having to hear her say "Madison" every 5 seconds for the rest of the kid's life when they are out in public.

Showed her that she showed a lack of consideration for those around her, and how some would react to her lack of consideration for others.

Pointed out that she wasn't being original with the name choice. She's not cool, or Ms. Awesome Mom or anything, as Madison has been a super popular name for baby girls the last few years. While her daughter is special to her, the name is not anything special, so there's no need to emphasize it constantly.

Maybe she will teach her daughter common courtesy, since she now knows what common courtesy is. Prior to this, she had no clue about being courteous to her fellow shoppers, so someone failed to teach her that. Maybe now she will pass along that learning to her daughter.

Was I rude? Absolutely. I could have been a whole lot nicer, but at the same time, I have no regrets about teaching that lady a little common courtesy for her fellow shoppers. Had someone taught her that before, this never would have been a problem. ;-) You guys act like I jumped her simply for saying my name once. She said it a whole bunch of times before I told her like it is. :-b
Last edited by Madison on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk