Car help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Car help

Moderator: Football Moderators

Car help

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:09 pm

Figure there are some car buffs here. Basically I got this new car, one of those new fangled Corolla S types-ones with the spoiler and ground kit. It's that cool dark metallic blue color, and I tinted the windows and put custom black tailights on it. I might put a grille on it too. Here is the question-I will probably only have 500 at the most to spend right now. It is a 1.8L engine, and I want to know anything you guys suggest doing and what priority I should put on them. I was thinking air intake to start. Performance or appearance works, but I really only see performance since the only thing I see left with appearance are wheels, which are lost of $$$.
Thought some people here would know a thing or two ;-D
Keep in mind, I will only have it for 4 or so years, until I get my college grad car.

Thanks!
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:36 am

You might wanna give Blue LT Colt a PM. He is definately into car and knows a good deal. But if you are looking for a small upgrade, then either a cold-air intake system or cat-back exhaust system wouldnt break the bank.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:05 am

Here are some things to consider:

1. A Corolla isn't really meant to be a fast car
2. Future buyers might be turned off by a lot of modifications as the market for a Corolla isn't the tuner crowd

When I was looking at a car two years ago, I was looking at used Civics and the like. If I saw one that was modified in any way (rims, tint, spoiler, ground fx, etc.), I moved on and didn't consider it. Modifications are usually done by younger individuals and they usually drive more aggressively and that equals more wear and tear.

If I were you, I'd either save the money or upgrade the sound. When I mean upgrade the sound, I don't mean put in 2 subs and annoy your neighbors. I'm talking about replacing the speakers and head unit. If the stock stereo system is pretty good, I'd just save the money.

When I bought my car, I upgraded the head unit and speakers. Got a great deal on the parts and did the installation myself.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:30 am

On my first car, which got totaled when someone smashed into me, I just upgraded the sound. The thing I was worrying about was putting too much into this car, my dad warned me about the buyers not liking mods as well. Right now I kept the old tail lights if I need to throw them on when I sell it, and tint can be taken off fairly easily. I dont like to pound out the bass, I like crisp speakers, I would put new ones in, but it came with the upgraded system. That's still something to consider though. Good points ;-D
Maybe I should spend it on something cool, then wait for all this when I get my new car :-?
Then again I'll be a poor college kid ;-)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:32 am

NittanyLions wrote:On my first car, which got totaled when someone smashed into me, I just upgraded the sound. The thing I was worrying about was putting too much into this car, my dad warned me about the buyers not liking mods as well. Right now I kept the old tail lights if I need to throw them on when I sell it, and tint can be taken off fairly easily. I dont like to pound out the bass, I like crisp speakers, I would put new ones in, but it came with the upgraded system. That's still something to consider though. Good points ;-D
Maybe I should spend it on something cool, then wait for all this when I get my new car :-?
Then again I'll be a poor college kid ;-)

I would save it for when I got to college, and wait for this when I got my new car. There will be plenty of cool stuff to spend your money on at college.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby duckmonkey » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:33 pm

Trying to make a tiny 1.8L engine fast is a losing battle. If you do enough to it to make *decent* power, the engine won't last very long.

If you want a fast car, sell the Corolla and buy a used car with more engine displacement...at least 6 cylinders. Yes, 4-bangers CAN be made to be "quick" but that has a lot to do with that fact that the car it's in is small and light to begin with. Larger engines can be made powerful and STILL maintain reliability for a long time. Everyone I know who's tried to make an economy car fast ended up with a dead engine not too far down the road.

Put your money to something better.
duckmonkey
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:57 pm

That is the plan, I came so close to a JEtta VR6, but the rents didn't want me going too fast at the time. So I think I will save my money, and get a bigger engine when I get my grad car ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:18 pm

Whatever you do, just don't put a fat exhaust/muffler on it and add a bunch of stickers to it. Loud cars that can't outrun a V6 Mustang is just plain silly.

But like some others have said, unless you plan on putting thousands of dollars into your Corolla, it really isn't a car that you can make faster easily with some bolt-ons. Best thing to do then is just focus on electronics and style. Get some decent rims and a sound system, maybe some xenon headlamps, although real ones are pretty pricey. A new suspension setup may be a good upgrade on a Corolla, but it's been a while since I've been interested in tuning imports so I don't remember much on Corollas. If you had a Civic or an Eclipse, I'd recommend a Tein system, but I don't recall much on Toyotas besides Supra and MR2.

And also don't lose or sell the original parts you replace because if you ever plan to sell or trade later on, you may need them.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LT Blue Colt » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:19 pm

What year is your Corolla, NittanyLions?
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:57 pm

I just got an 06' 5.3 liter SS Impala. 8-o
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk