Thinking of joining a money league? Read here. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Classifieds

Thinking of joining a money league? Read here.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thinking of joining a money league? Read here.

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:20 pm

Quite a few people play in money leagues where there are entry fees and payouts based on a variety of things. A few things to consider when thinking about joining a money league:

Have you read all of the rules? If not, it's in your own best interest to do so. If the commish refuses to give you a full copy of the rules before you join the league and pay your money, that should send off a bell in your head. Make sure you have a copy of the rules and have read them completely, before sending money.

Do you trust the person holding the money? Check and do as much researching as you can before sending someone you don't know, money over the internet. Just a friendly reminder.

Best of luck and have fun! ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thinking of joining a money league? Read here.

Postby warehouse1990 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:45 pm

Such a good point! Last year I got in a league, where I think the regular season was over after 11 weeks. I had Alexander (foot injury), so I was screwed. This year i'm being very careful to know the ALL the rules before entering. Also, Waiver Wire rules are very important.
Founder of GotFantasyFootball.com - Home of the 1st Online Drafting Tool!
warehouse1990
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby commish of 30 years » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:56 am

good points above.. I have ran leagues since before the internet was born.

I may add be sure to check teams. Several leagues stack teams to where new owners don;t have a chance. Check transactions and rosters.

There are a lot of bad bad $ leagues out there. I play in 15 to 20 every year.
There are commishes that will take your $ and run! There are commishes that will stack his teams getting studs from uncle, brother, best friends, dad in law ect.

But for every 1 bad league there are 9 good leagues out there.

my best advice is ask some of owners privately before you join an existing $ league. Pick them at random or get references. I have also had some very good commishes go bankrupt. Always that chance! Getting married, divorced, or haveing kids is a warning sign they could run with your $$$.
commish of 30 years
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby bootster21 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:06 pm

Also, as a note, if you are going to play in money leagues with people you meet over forums, your best bet is to make sure that you use PayPal. If the person does happen to up and run with the money, it is insured through PayPal and you will at least be able to recover the money that you paid for the league.
bootster21
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby HomeyJJ » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:28 pm

I am in the 5th year as Commissioner of my league and we just voted and decided to impose an entry fee to the league so we could reward the league champion with a trophy and a first and second place payout. I already have printed out copies of the league rules and regulations and I believe it is only fair for any commish doing a league with friends to do so.

When your team is losing, stick by them. Keep believing." - Bo Schembechler
--HERE WE GO LIONS, HERE WE GO!
HomeyJJ
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby cbower4545 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:02 pm

I like pay pal, but this looks like a good option too, I am going to use it for my League this year. It's called League Safe, it's put on by the fanball founder. I like it because the league money is put into a bank where you can see it through the year, and you can set the rules up so that any payment must be authorized by a majority league vote, so the commissioner can't run off with the money. Check it out for yourself:

https://www.leaguesafe.com/more.aspx
cbower4545
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby unclemeat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:07 am

Definitely check the transaction rules... there should at least be a league vote for trades. I get nervous if there's no vote or all transactions are left up to the commish. I've been in a few leagues where around week 12 or 13, suddenly the last place guy is making trades like Randy Moss (circa last year) for some Tim Couch quality player.
unclemeat
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby mzkp54 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:20 am

Make sure you PM your email address and don't post it directly in threads. I've been hearing some stories of scammers going through posts with emails listed and sending out fake leaguesafe invitations.
mzkp54
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 243)

Postby fiforce » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:15 pm

How well does leaguesafe work?
fiforce
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 15)

Return to Classifieds