Are the Chargers the best team in the AFC? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Are the Chargers the best team in the AFC?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Are the Chargers the best team in the AFC?

Postby mothaudio » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:14 pm

Sure the Colts are 9-0 but does anyone really think they'll do anything in the playoffs? SD is the more balanced team, have the best player, the most potent offense and when they get their starters back a nasty DEF. I'm going on record saying they go further then the Colts. I luv Dungy but history isn't on their side.
mothaudio
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bomb Squad » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:49 pm

With a full Def. on the field, S.D. will beat Ind.
Bomb Squad
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby nameless1 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:52 am

They came back and beat a 4-5 team, with the second worst defense in the AFC in terms of points allowed, after giving up 41 points on defense; that doesn't suddenly make them a great team, they're just a hot bandwagon pick right now after winning an exciting and highly publicized game.

Now tell me guys, how many teams with a winning record has San Diego beaten so far this year...c'mon it shouldn't take you that long to count to ZERO! The only times this season, they played teams who currently have a winning record they lost, both times at home (Baltimore and Kansas City).

That said, I'm still for LT as MVP even against a powder-puff schedule ;-D .
nameless1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mothaudio » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:54 am

nameless1 wrote:Now tell me guys, how many teams with a winning record has San Diego beaten so far this year...c'mon it shouldn't take you that long to count to ZERO! The only times this season, they played teams who currently have a winning record they lost, both times at home (Baltimore and Kansas City).

And they lost those two games by a combined total of six points.
mothaudio
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby mattb47 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:06 am

mothaudio wrote:
nameless1 wrote:Now tell me guys, how many teams with a winning record has San Diego beaten so far this year...c'mon it shouldn't take you that long to count to ZERO! The only times this season, they played teams who currently have a winning record they lost, both times at home (Baltimore and Kansas City).

And they lost those two games by a combined total of six points.

A loss is a loss is it not? Great teams win the close ones.

A fully healthy SD team is better obviously, but so is a fully healthy Colts team. The Chargers are not the only ones struggling with missing players on defense, the Colts are missing such players as Bob Sanders and Gary Brackett for parts of this year, both are integral parts of that defense, Sanders especially. You add in also that the Colts have been without Brandon Stokely for much of the season as well and there have been some key injuries for the Colts.

A fully healthy SD defense still can't defend the pass, their secondary just isn't that good and it's really being exposed right now. The Chargers have given up 30 pts /game over the past 4 games.....not even the "terrible" Indy defense has given up that many points (22.3) in that span. The problem with this argument is that the chances are that we wont see either team fully healthy this year, injuries just happen all the time.

I think the Colts will do well in the playoffs this year despite what everyone else may think. This Colts team from this year beats the Steelers in the playoffs last year because of one reason.....Adam Vinatieri. He is the reason they are a better team and as Addai improves over the course of the season, he will be great for them once the playoffs start. Part of the reason Rhodes is still a factor right now I'm sure is so that Addai can be relatively healthy when the playoffs come. The Colts are 9-0 and still haven't played their best yet....I think people will be surprised this year.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:26 am

Not sold on the Colts yet. Still I think they are the best team. They have been barely winning games but at least they're winning. I think they've average less than a touchdown margin of victory for each game. Pretty amazing for a 9-0 team. Also only team in history to start 9-0 twice in a row I believe.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:15 am

SD is a great team but I'm sticking with the team that beat three of the better teams (NYG, DEN, NE) in the league all on the road.
Sp_Da_Man
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby danleroi22 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:17 am

No... not over the Colts. They are probably the second best team in the NFL though.
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:35 pm

I'm not completely sold on the Colts this season. They have won 3 games over 3 mediocre teams (Jets, Buffalo, and the Titans) by a total of 5 points. If the Colts were the 'Best' team in the NFL, I don't think that they would have won those 3 games by a total of 5 points.

Beat the Jets by 3
Beat the Titants by 1
Beat the Bills by 1
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby mattb47 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:01 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:I'm not completely sold on the Colts this season. They have won 3 games over 3 mediocre teams (Jets, Buffalo, and the Titans) by a total of 5 points. If the Colts were the 'Best' team in the NFL, I don't think that they would have won those 3 games by a total of 5 points.

Beat the Jets by 3
Beat the Titants by 1
Beat the Bills by 1

Yea....let's just ignore that they beat the Giants, Broncos, and Pats all on the road this year. They do what they need to do to win, that's what good teams do. You learn to win even when you don't have your best day....and then you win your tough games as well.

Who is the best team in the NFL then?

The Broncos who lost to the Colts, lost to the Rams, and nearly lost to the Raiders?

The Chargers who lost to the Chiefs and who have given up 30pts per game in the past 4 game?

The Pats who lost to the Colts and also lost to the Jets at home?

The Ravens who also barely beat the Titans, but gave up 26 pts (twice as many as the Colts gave up), and also lost to Denver 13-3 who lost to the Colts?

The Bears who nearly lost to arguably the worst team in the NFL right now (the Cards) on monday night football and who lost (badly) to the 3-6 Dolphins?

The Giants who lost to the Colts and the Bears both?

The list goes on with teams that don't come even close to the Colts. I don't see how an argument can really be made that they AREN'T the best team after wins against 3 good teams on the road. No team plays perfect all the time, but being able to win when you struggle is the sign of a good team.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting