Are the Chargers the best team in the AFC? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Are the Chargers the best team in the AFC?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:45 pm

biju wrote:
mrblitz wrote:In my opinion the best team in the AFC, is the Ravens. I expect we (Eagles), will meet them in the SuperBowl.

It's interesting to me the different philosophies that exist at the FFC. I'm of the mind that the Ravens aren't even going to make it past the next round let alone beat the Chargers in the AFC Championships.

8-o
I just think that the Ravens imo, are the most rounded team on offense and defense. I also think that McNair is the guy that will finally get them over the hurdle.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:01 pm

mrblitz wrote:
biju wrote:
mrblitz wrote:In my opinion the best team in the AFC, is the Ravens. I expect we (Eagles), will meet them in the SuperBowl.

It's interesting to me the different philosophies that exist at the FFC. I'm of the mind that the Ravens aren't even going to make it past the next round let alone beat the Chargers in the AFC Championships.

8-o
I just think that the Ravens imo, are the most rounded team on offense and defense. I also think that McNair is the guy that will finally get them over the hurdle.

I do think that McNair is the reason Baltimore even has a shot at this year as he certainly pushed them over the hump offensively.

If Baltimore can put a good amount of pressure on Manning and Indy running defense doesn't hold up this week I think the Ravens will have a good shot. But Bob Sanders makes their run D happen and if Manning gets on a roll offensively it could turn ugly fast as I still don't have confidence in Baltimore being able to consistently get downfield with that offense.

It should be a good game though.

As for San Diego however, I think those guys are just too good for any team to beat this year. If Baltimore gets a chance to play them they are going to have to be nearly flawless on offense and defense where the Chargers can have an off game offensively and still put up a high score. Just too many weapons IMO...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:19 pm

I agree, on paper the Chargers are the best. But their secondary is certainly beatable. As is a number one defense,(Ravens), containing LT. Then forcing first year, inconsistent qb Rivers to beat them.
Last edited by mrblitz on Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby tfunky14 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:50 pm

I like
Chargers
Colts
Ravens

It could all change after this weekend...
tfunky14
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 20)

Postby benb18a » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:02 pm

tfunky14 wrote:I like
Chargers
Colts
Ravens

It could all change after this weekend...

How so? You are guaranteed to have one of those teams in the championship game, and likely two?

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

And the Colts looked sooooo scary today

Postby mothaudio » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:33 pm

mothaudio wrote:
i didnt see anyone say it was a convincing victory, but it was a victory.

I didn't say anyone did. *I* was just emphasing/noting that it was not a convincing victory whether anyone chooses to reconize that or not. We lost two [road] games this season... by a combined 6 points. That was real point.

i dont like it when people throw out that it was barely a win...a win is a win. the better team came out ahead, end of story. if the chargers were that good they shouldnt have been within striking distance in the end of the game, and shouldnt have allowed that last drive, which i might add, was nearly perfect.

I was just qualifying how they won. A win is a win but not all wins are equal in all aspects. I agree that good/great teams find a way to win close games and I give them all the credit for a great winning drive.

we did contain LT2, as we have with most premier RBs this season. also you are forgetting when we played you guys we had fassel as our OC. the ravens have been a completely different team since billick took over play calling.

Again, that game was our 3rd game of the year with a "rookie starter" at QB. As you pointed out, both teams are different than the ones that took the field that day. The Ravens have been more effective on offense and no one has really stopped LT the last 10 weeks... and Rivers has matured.

to call mcnair "the same guy" is a compliment in a sense. he has been to the playoffs. he has been to a super bowl. he has played in big pressure games (which rivers has not). he has been to pro bowls (not that it matters) and even been a co-league MVP. is that supposed to be a bad thing? also, dont forget he has been in a completely new system this season, the more time he has had under center, the better off he is, even if he is 2 months "older" than the last time he beat you guys.

I like McNair but all those accolades are past-tense. He is no longer that "MVP/Pro Bowl" player. He was a great player but comparing their stats this season he threw for 3050 yds with 16 TDs and 12 INTs. Rivers threw for 3388 yds with 22 TDs and 9 INTs. McNair's passer rating was 82.5, River's 92.0. Rivers had the better season by any standard you wish to use and has much better weapons to pitch/pass to.

i dont care how well rivers has played as of late, the playoffs are a whole different monster. the chargers have a bit of history of not performing in the playoffs, regardless of their seasons. and i dont really care if he made the pro bowl...romo even made the pro bowl so that basically proves that pro bowls are a joke. not saying that he doesnt deserve a place on that team, but the way you threw it in the sentence, it looked like that it meant he is now some good player because he became popular.

I agree. In a one game playoff anything can happen. Given our players, HFA and winning streak I like our chances. I think the Ravens won't even make it past the 2nd rd, just a gut feeling but should they it would be great to get another crack at them when it matters most.
mothaudio
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby biju » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:40 pm

biju wrote:

8-o

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mothaudio » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:53 pm

biju wrote: I'm of the mind that the Ravens aren't even going to make it past the next round let alone beat the Chargers in the AFC Championships. 8-o

Similar minds: I just felt that the Ravens wouldn't generate enough offense in the playoffs. I was surprised they didn't do more on defense. Granted they had a few bad breaks on INTs.
mothaudio
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby onnestabe » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:46 am

They are the number 1 seed, and it's awfully hard to argue against it. I think they are #1 in the AFC until they get beaten.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby zevon » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:22 am

No.
zevon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext