Matchup Meltdown question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cafe Games Talk

Matchup Meltdown question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Matchup Meltdown question

Postby menyak » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:21 pm

Fact: Getting a Survivor Icon for Matchup Meltdown is much easier in some years than it is in others. E.g. hadn't it been for the major upsets in the last 3 weeks, we could have easily wound up with 100+ icon winners again (in spite of the new rules).

Question: Wouldn't it be fairer to level the playing field, i.e. give out the icon as soon as 80% of all players have bit the dust? That could already be after week 9 or after week 12 but it would make the icon stage equally difficult to reach every year. We could set the bar right at the beginning of the season ("133 players remaining in the game; icons will be given out at or below 47").

Thoughts? :-?
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:12 pm

I think that would definitely keep the prestige of the icon better. I'm sad I never got in this year, but next year I'm definitely in, I love the game ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:14 pm

What if you do say 90%, and of course you couldn't have the total number of players till week 2, because some people may miss week 1, and that would be considered their bye week if they were to start playing week 2 correct?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby SniperShot » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:27 pm

Very good idea.

But what happens if it's like week 15 and I'm playing AWESOME but only 70% have bombed out then I lose and get no icon. Maybe there should still be a set week. Just set it back a few weeks or something.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby menyak » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:30 pm

aaawall91 wrote:What if you do say 90%, and of course you couldn't have the total number of players till week 2, because some people may miss week 1, and that would be considered their bye week if they were to start playing week 2 correct?

Yeah, shouldn't become rocket science though. Take this year - judging from the number of posts in the Week 1 thread the magic number was probably 47, but there were 48 players still in the game after week 9, and in week 10 it was down to 21. So the limit at 80% doesn't actually mean that 20% would get an icon. ;)

You are right with those starting in week 2, but then again you'd probably also have to subtract that handful of members that plays in week 1 and never comes back. In the end, I'd say the week1 signups are a fairly solid figure to work with, and if we really want to count in the week2 signups we could simply do an estimate - 22 +2 % or something. Basically what I want to do if we go down that road is to present a real number right from the start so people have something to count down to. Much better than turning it into a mathematical exercise.
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby menyak » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:35 pm

SniperShot wrote:Very good idea.

But what happens if it's like week 15 and I'm playing AWESOME but only 70% have bombed out then I lose and get no icon. Maybe there should still be a set week. Just set it back a few weeks or something.

Well, if 30% of players are still in the game after week 15 then you can assume that you didn't play AWESOME (sorry to point it out :-D ) - it just means that the season was really predictable and the favorites kept winning. Like it or not, that's no real achievement. I mean it is, but not any better than being amonth the last 30% when the rest has already bombed out by weeks eight or nine. ;)
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SniperShot » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:45 pm

Ok fair enough. I'm winning next year so it doesn't matter anyway. ;-)
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:13 pm

i agree; i think that a percentage is good, but if there's still more than 20% left by week 10, 11, or 12, then the icons should be given out then because staying in that long is a pretty big accomplishment.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby menyak » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:58 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:

i agree; i think that a percentage is good, but if there's still more than 20% left by week 10, 11, or 12, then the icons should be given out then because staying in that long is a pretty big accomplishment.

Haha, no you can't have it both ways. :-b

The die is already cast. After week 1, the Webhamster will determine the Melting Point (according to a more or less secret formula ;-) ), and that's the number of players that's supposed to be left in the game so the survivors get their icon.

You'll just love this. :-D
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:57 am

With the new rules I think that is will be very difficult for that high a percentage of people to get the icon. I always thought of MM as you vs the games not you against the other pickers (until it gets down to just two of you that is).

btw - how come you still have the old icon and my old one has been replaced by the icecube? Do you keep the old one until you win the new one and then your old one gets replaced by the new one?

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Cafe Games Talk