Matchup Meltdown question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Cafe Games Talk

Matchup Meltdown question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:13 am

Mookie4ever wrote:With the new rules I think that is will be very difficult for that high a percentage of people to get the icon. I always thought of MM as you vs the games not you against the other pickers (until it gets down to just two of you that is).

btw - how come you still have the old icon and my old one has been replaced by the icecube? Do you keep the old one until you win the new one and then your old one gets replaced by the new one?


perzactly ;-D

Oh, and I love the new system proposed Menyak. ;-D
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Postby Madison » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:13 am

Mookie4ever wrote:btw - how come you still have the old icon and my old one has been replaced by the icecube? Do you keep the old one until you win the new one and then your old one gets replaced by the new one?


Exactly. ;-D

Those who have preservers and didn't get an ice cube get to keep their preservers.........for now. }:-)
Image

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

User avatar
ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5979
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby danleroi22 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:57 am

I don't know about the percentage idea. It kind of makes strategy for bye week much more difficult and I think overall makes the game much harder. If you think about it, we're already limited (when we get down to one pick) to pick one of three games, which are typically not very easy games to predict.

And let me make one thong clear: There are NO easy games to predict in the NFL. There is so much parity that anyone can lose on any given Sunday, Saturday, Thursday, or Monday.

So... I don't really like the idea... but heck, I'll play with anything. ;-D


(As long as I get to keep my little life preserver that I worked very hard to get...)
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4846
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: SO CLOSE to "da hall" (Cambridge, MA)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:14 am

danleroi22 wrote:I don't know about the percentage idea. It kind of makes strategy for bye week much more difficult and I think overall makes the game much harder. If you think about it, we're already limited (when we get down to one pick) to pick one of three games, which are typically not very easy games to predict.

And let me make one thong clear: There are NO easy games to predict in the NFL. There is so much parity that anyone can lose on any given Sunday, Saturday, Thursday, or Monday.

So... I don't really like the idea... but heck, I'll play with anything. ;-D


(As long as I get to keep my little life preserver that I worked very hard to get...)


As for the bye week strategy, you will know the number of people that will get the icon after like week 2 and I am assuming that it will be posted each week as to how many are left in, so that will help cause you will still have a "goal" to shoot for.

Secondly, why would you want to make a clear thong. :-? Ummmm . . . . . oh nevermind.
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Postby menyak » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:50 am

Mookie4ever wrote:I always thought of MM as you vs the games not you against the other pickers (until it gets down to just two of you that is).

I know why you're saying - that's why I put up this thread. Fact is though that the number of players remaining in the game is just a benchmark to figure out how hard the season is - instead we could also use some kind of indicator derived from Vegas spreads/results. That would be too complicated of course, but the idea is simply to give the icon a more stable value, and not just give it out to basically everyone who participated in some years like it happened last season. So although it looks like you'd be competing against other players to get the icon, that's not really the idea behind it. ;)

danleroi22 wrote:And let me make one thong clear: There are NO easy games to predict in the NFL.

Well, last year definitely proved that wrong. :-?

As for being already limited, it looks like the new rules work great to get that number of players down by week 17, but for the first season half it's not that effective. The actual reason why only a reasonable number of players survived week ten wasn't for the new rules, but for the MAJOR upsets in weeks 9 and 10 (where 56% of the players still in the game bit the dust - in each week). Hadn't it been for those, the whole picture could have looked quite differently.

All boils down to the question whether or not we care if in some seasons, half of the people participating get the icon. In my mind, the people who got the icon this year did a great job dodging those upsets, and getting those icons was a big achievement. I don't think it's a good idea to give it out like candy next year (or any other year). The icon should be a reward for playing well, not for playing in the right year. (At least that's what I think when I see the life-preserver icon - I don't assume that that person is good at predicting upsets, but that he probably played in the 2005 season :-b ).

But in the end, it's a game for you guys. If there's a majority leaning in one direction or the other, I'll go that way (not that the Cafe is a democracy :-D ). But if there isn't, I'll probably go and tip the scales. O:-)
Image
Image
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 3444
Joined: 4 Jan 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Offline on even days

Postby danleroi22 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:33 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
danleroi22 wrote:I don't know about the percentage idea. It kind of makes strategy for bye week much more difficult and I think overall makes the game much harder. If you think about it, we're already limited (when we get down to one pick) to pick one of three games, which are typically not very easy games to predict.

And let me make one thong clear: There are NO easy games to predict in the NFL. There is so much parity that anyone can lose on any given Sunday, Saturday, Thursday, or Monday.

So... I don't really like the idea... but heck, I'll play with anything. ;-D


(As long as I get to keep my little life preserver that I worked very hard to get...)


As for the bye week strategy, you will know the number of people that will get the icon after like week 2 and I am assuming that it will be posted each week as to how many are left in, so that will help cause you will still have a "goal" to shoot for.

Secondly, why would you want to make a clear thong. :-? Ummmm . . . . . oh nevermind.


lol... well you know... O is right next to I... :-b
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4846
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: SO CLOSE to "da hall" (Cambridge, MA)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:47 am

menyak wrote:All boils down to the question whether or not we care if in some seasons, half of the people participating get the icon. In my mind, the people who got the icon this year did a great job dodging those upsets, and getting those icons was a big achievement. I don't think it's a good idea to give it out like candy next year (or any other year). The icon should be a reward for playing well, not for playing in the right year. (At least that's what I think when I see the life-preserver icon - I don't assume that that person is good at predicting upsets, but that he probably played in the 2005 season :-b ).

But in the end, it's a game for you guys. If there's a majority leaning in one direction or the other, I'll go that way (not that the Cafe is a democracy :-D ). But if there isn't, I'll probably go and tip the scales. O:-)


Perfect explanation and that is why I say YES

By all means, let's go for it. Keep the coveted icon well, to be coveted. :-b
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Previous

Return to Cafe Games Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 23:15 hours
(and 44 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact