Toys for Tots - Christ Not Welcome For Christmas - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Toys for Tots - Christ Not Welcome For Christmas

Moderator: Football Moderators

Toys for Tots - Christ Not Welcome For Christmas

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:33 pm

From their official website:

U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program

MISSION: The mission of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program is to collect new, unwrapped toys during October, November and December each year, and distribute those toys as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community in which the campaign is conducted.

GOAL: The primary goal of Toys for Tots is to deliver, through a shiny new toy at Christmas, a message of hope to needy youngsters that will motivate them to grow into responsible, productive, patriotic citizens and community leaders.

News:
Toys for Tots rejects talking Jesus dolls

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A talking Jesus doll has been turned down by the Marine Reserves' Toys for Tots program.

A Los Angeles company offered to donate 4,000 of the 1-foot-tall dolls, which quote Bible verses, for distribution to needy children this holiday season.

The battery-powered Jesus is one of several dolls manufactured by one2believe, a division of the Valencia-based Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Co., based on biblical figures. (Watch to see and hear the Bible-quoting dolls -- 1:52)

But the charity balked because of the dolls' religious nature.

Toys are donated to kids based on financial need and "we don't know anything about their background, their religious affiliations," said Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Virginia.

As a government entity, Marines "don't profess one religion over another," Grein said Tuesday. "We can't take a chance on sending a talking Jesus doll to a Jewish family or a Muslim family."

Michael La Roe, director of business development for both companies, said the charity's decision left him "surprised and disappointed."

"The idea was for them to be three-dimensional teaching tools for kids," La Roe said. "I believe as a churchgoing person, anyone can benefit from hearing the words of the Bible."

According to the company's Web site, the button-activated, bearded Jesus, dressed in hand-sewn cloth outfits and sandals, recites Scripture such as "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again" and "Love your neighbor as yourself." It has a $20 retail value.

Grein questioned whether children would welcome a gift designed for religious instruction.

"Kids want a gift for the holiday season that is fun," he said.

The program distributed 18 million stuffed animals, games, toy trucks and other gifts to children in 2005.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gablefan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:38 pm

They could deliver those to the people that say "Christmas" and not deliver them to those that say "X-Mas"....
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:44 pm

It's amazing to me how often people forget that Christmas is a holiday ABOUT CHRIST.

Someday, if trends like this continue, the Super Bowl will simply be one huge extravaganza of a halftime show, and the game will be played on a different day. That would make the same sense as taking Christ out of Christmas.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:49 pm

its also funny because a Marines heirarchy is god, corps, country, family.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:50 pm

knapplc wrote:It's amazing to me how often people forget that Christmas is a holiday ABOUT CHRIST.

Someday, if trends like this continue, the Super Bowl will simply be one huge extravaganza of a halftime show, and the game will be played on a different day. That would make the same sense as taking Christ out of Christmas.

If you take Christ out of Christmas....that just leaves you mas...

OK so apparently mas = Lord in Javanese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAS)

So Christmas = ChristLord - isnt that a little redundant? ;-7
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:54 pm

knapplc wrote:It's amazing to me how often people forget that Christmas is a holiday ABOUT CHRIST.

Most of that has already happened, and its starting to happen to regular season games too. 8-o :-t

I dont want to get into any sort of argument here so I'll keep it light. What do you guys think Jesus would think about a 1 foot doll in his likeness that quoted bible verses? He prolly wouldnt care I guess. And who decides who gets to be the voice of Jesus? Those are some pretty big shoes to fill. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby danleroi22 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:54 pm

Agreed. I feel strongly like Knapp in this matter.
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby knapplc » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:54 pm

Redskins Win wrote:its also funny because a Marines heirarchy is god, corps, country, family.

Not for long! How DARE they imply that there's a god out there! It's so horrible! ;-7
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:04 pm

Metroid wrote:I dont want to get into any sort of argument here so I'll keep it light. What do you guys think Jesus would think about a 1 foot doll in his likeness that quoted bible verses? He prolly wouldnt care I guess. And who decides who gets to be the voice of Jesus? Those are some pretty big shoes to fill. :-b

I would imagine he probably doesn't care too much. Kind of irrelevant to His whole message, really. :-b Then again, maybe He feels like any method of transmission of the message (within reason, of course) is OK, too.

It's awfully hard to predict the wants/desires of a Supreme Being, you know. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby josebach » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:06 pm

Does Toys for Tots ONLY give children gifts that celebrate Christmas? Are Jewish kids not entitled to benefit from this charity? If so, and Toys for Tots is specifically for Christmas, than I agree that it's kind of silly that a Jesus doll is not allowed. On the other hand, if they give gifts to Jewish kids and other children that don't celebrate Christmas than I can understand it.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk