Yet Another Frivolous Lawsuit - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Yet Another Frivolous Lawsuit

Moderator: Football Moderators

Yet Another Frivolous Lawsuit

Postby knapplc » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:36 pm

Ugh. People who file lawsuits like this should be prosecuted when they're thrown out of court. :-t

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- An Arkansas man filed a federal lawsuit against NBA star Kobe Bryant claiming the Lakers guard deliberately elbowed him during a game last year against the Memphis Grizzlies.

Bill Geeslin was a spectator in the stands Nov. 14 when the Lakers played the Grizzlies in Memphis. His three-page lawsuit filed Tuesday claims that Bryant came off the court during play, landed on Geeslin and "without provocation" committed assault and battery when he violently struck Geeslin with his elbow.

Geeslin claims seeks more than $75,000 in damages for unspecified injuries that required medical attention.

Geeslin's attorney, Robert Coleman, declined to elaborate on the filing Wednesday but said he had not been in contact with Bryant's attorneys or agent.

A call to Bryant's agent seeking comment was not immediately returned.

The game ended with the Grizzlies winning 85-73.

So this doofus is alleging that Kobe Bryant A) Picked him out of the crowd when he dove off the court, B) deliberately attacked him, C) caused him an injury and D) this injury resulted in $75,000 worth of medical bills/mental anguish (I'm throwing the anguish part in there - I'm assuming, I guess).

Why would a judge even allow this kind of lawsuit? Are the rules in Tennessee so lax that you can file this kind of suit without having to show prima facie (obvious injury)?

I'm no Kobe Bryant fan, so don't get the impression I'm sticking up for my guy or anything, but this is just totally ridiculous. :-t
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Yet Another Frivolous Lawsuit

Postby Keyser_WV » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:45 pm

[quote="knapplc"]Ugh. People who file lawsuits like this should be prosecuted when they're thrown out of court.[quote]

I couldn't agree more. I think it should be the responsibility of the judge to say this has no merit and then sanction the blood sucking lawyer trying to make a buck off a ridiculous claim.

I don't know what oath or creed a lawyer follows but they should be held accountable in these types of situations.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby gablefan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:45 pm

This is the reason we stopped doing referrals for Memphis! I cannot stand that city!
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:46 pm

Absolutely, ridiculous. But not surprising. People will do what ever they can to try and make money. I forget how much it went for, but when someone bough that grilled cheese sandwich with Christ's face in it for like ten thousand dollars off EBAy,I've heard it all.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby dihall » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:18 pm

I would bet a lot of money that that lawyer sought that guy out and put the seed in his brain of filing a lawsuit. :-t When you sit that close to the floor, you gotta expect something like that may happen. I blame the lawyer for probably 95% of this. I hate to say it, but these men and women that practice personal injury law are bottom feeders! :-P Sorry if I offend any of you who might be lawyers, but call a spade a spade! Right there with those da#$ed realtors! :-b
Don't ever underestimate the girls!!

Let's go DAWGS!!
dihall
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:41 pm

What do you think the chances are that this guy Didn't even contact a Lawyer, that the Lawyer contacted him somehow.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:47 pm

Is Bill Geeslin a young white girl? Because, if he is, then I totally believe this account word-for-word and think he is entitled to every penny. !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:55 pm

I don't like Kobe but that is riduculous- so many people try to accuse him of things he doesnt do.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:05 pm

umm I think he did it.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sandrock » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:53 pm

I bet most of the people in the world would try to get in on some free money if they actually had a case they had a chance of winning.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk