Faux News, Or Fox News? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Faux News, Or Fox News?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Faux News, Or Fox News?

Postby The Balanced Man » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:29 pm

Saw this on MSNBC. The memo was leaked by a Fox News insider...

Huffington Post has obtained an internal Fox News memo written by the network's Vice President of news. The memo details Fox's game plan the day Democrats won control of both the Senate and the House.

The fact is, daily life at FNC is all about management politics. I say this having served six years there - as producer of the media criticism show, News Watch, as a writer/producer of specials and (for the last year of my stay) as a newsroom copy editor. Not once in the 20+ years I had worked in broadcast journalism prior to Fox - including lengthy stays at The Associated Press, CBS Radio and ABC/Good Morning America - did I feel any pressure to toe a management line. But at Fox, if my boss wasn't warning me to "be careful" how I handled the writing of a special about Ronald Reagan ("You know how Roger [Fox News Chairman Ailes] feels about him."), he was telling me how the environmental special I was to produce should lean ("You can give both sides, but make sure the pro-environmentalists don't get the last word.")

But the roots of FNC's day-to-day on-air bias are actual and direct. They come in the form of an executive memo distributed electronically each morning, addressing what stories will be covered and, often, suggesting how they should be covered. To the newsroom personnel responsible for the channel's daytime programming, The Memo is the bible. If, on any given day, you notice that the Fox anchors seem to be trying to drive a particular point home, you can bet The Memo is behind it.

These are not isolated incidents at Fox News Channel, where virtually no one of authority in the newsroom makes a move unmeasured against management's politics, actual or perceived. At the Fair and Balanced network, everyone knows management's point of view, and, in case they're not sure how to get it on air, The Memo is there to remind them.

News experts are outraged about this, and calling for heads to roll. When you start instructing news people to cover with a certain slant, follow a certain script, etc, it becomes acting instead of reporting.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:04 am

I must be missing the part where it said what Fox is doing differently than CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS and any other major or minor "news" source. :-?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:13 am

knapplc wrote:I must be missing the part where it said what Fox is doing differently than CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS and any other major or minor "news" source. :-?

Except The Jon Stewart Show and The Colbert Report, they tell it like it is. :-b ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:16 am

Metroid wrote:
knapplc wrote:I must be missing the part where it said what Fox is doing differently than CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS and any other major or minor "news" source. :-?

Except The Jon Stewart Show and The Colbert Report, they tell it like it is. :-b ;-D

Amen, brother!

Those two "news" shows may be the most honest sources of news out there. At least with The Daily Show and The Colbert Report they make no bones about being slightly left-of-center.

If all of the other "news" providers would declare their left- or right-leaning agenda up front I may have more respect for them. :*)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:18 am

knapplc wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Amen, brother!

Those two "news" shows may be the most honest sources of news out there. At least with The Daily Show and The Colbert Report they make no bones about being slightly left-of-center.

If all of the other "news" providers would declare their left- or right-leaning agenda up front I may have more respect for them. :*)

I totally agree. ;-D

and being funny would help too. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:50 am

CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS do not put out memos instructing anchors and reporters the slant to report from.

If you write a script and direct the talent to act a certain way, it becomes acting instead of reporting.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eman » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:16 am

Fox will just play it off as nothing like always....but if anyone didn't already know Fox News was corrupted, biased, and crooked, they have probably been living under a rock.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dgan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:52 am

eman wrote:Fox will just play it off as nothing like always....but if anyone didn't already know Fox News was corrupted, biased, and crooked, they have probably been living under a rock.

Crooked and biased - at times...they should cut the "fair and balanced" crap and just call it what it is. Even as a conservative, that has always turned me off. Fox is the alternative to the liberal fixtures in the other common media - they are just as biased as any other media, just on the other side. I normally can't stand to watch anything because they are just as hypocritcal as CNN or MSNBC.

Corrupted? I don't think catering to your audience in both content and presentation is corruption, unless you want to call all media outlets corrupt. They all do it. News is ratings driven...not "news" driven. Anyone who believes otherwise has been, as you said, living under a rock.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:59 am

The Balanced Man wrote:

CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS do not put out memos instructing anchors and reporters the slant to report from.

If you write a script and direct the talent to act a certain way, it becomes acting instead of reporting.

They don't put out memos that you and I know of maybe, but there is absolutely a slant to the way they report the news. Anyone who thinks any of the major anchors from any of the major news sources is actually anything more than a stuffed shirt reading a script - essentially an actor - has not been paying attention to the state of the news in the past 20-30 years.

I'm not condoning what Fox is doing. You couldn't pay me to watch Fox News. BUT, the end result of what they're doing is no different than what any of the other news sources is doing and has been doing since Watergate.

Which simply leaves the question - who is reporting on this memo, the Pot or the Kettle?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:10 am

The Balanced Man wrote:

They don't have to, it's assumed.

Edit: Let me expand a little on this. If the memo is accurate, which I can't tell from the image of it, what Fox is doing is wrong. But it's also wrong to pretend that Fox is somehow alone in slanting the news. The other news people who are supposedly horrified by the memo are probably doing the same things themselves, they're just more discreet.
Last edited by Goatwhacker on Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk