Faux News, Or Fox News? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Faux News, Or Fox News?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Karoz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:40 pm

josebach wrote:One thing the left does is to make damn sure that EVERYBODY knows that Fox News is right leaning. Because of that, how many people that don't already lean to the right actually watch it? As I mentioned before, I don't think the core audience of Fox News would have any problem at all with it.

Besides, is this really a suprise? Is anbody shocked at all to think that Fox did this? Was anybody really naive enough to think that the reason Fox has the slant that it does is because they only hire Republican anchors?

Really not a big deal to me. My faith in all media was lost long ago.

As you said, I think it's obvious to anyone who has ever watched Fox News, that they lean towards the right. This probably won't get a huge amount of play, because it only confirmed what most people assumed anyway.

I personally prefer to watch Fox News, and this doesn't bother me at all. I am a Republican, as I'm sure the majority of the Fox viewers are. To me, it has always seemed as if Fox was the conservative news source, and CNN was the liberal one. In terms of viewers, Fox seeks to appeal to the republicans, and CNN seeks out the democrats.

I don't think Fox is attempting to push their agenda, they are simply trying to get the largest audience possible. The majority of the nation is Republican, thus being a conservative news source would allow you to appeal to the majority of the viewing public. It is really a good strategy, especially considering that they are one of the only major news sources that leans to the right.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TTTBone » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:36 pm

I watch Fox because they make all the women on the morning fun-bunch news show wear mini-skirts.
The anticipation of somebody un-crossing their legs (ala Sharon Stone) really gives my morning coffee that extra kick I really need to wake me up.

News?
C'mon, Rupert Murdoch's vast media conglomerate are the people publishing OJ's book, and then putting him on the air for a two-part "interview" promoting it.
Is Rupert Murdoch the anti-Christ?
Probably not, but he's really pushing the envelope.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Matthias » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:47 pm

I disagree with the whole, "liberal media" and the, "everybody does it" arguments.

Yah yah, Jayson Blair. Whatever. He was canned as soon as it became obvious. And the Times took the extra step of installing an obudsman to try to better deal with this and their relations with the public. Faux News doesn't give a damn.

There are obviously columnists and journalists with their political viewpoints. Olbermann is obviously liberal. Some of the Op-Ed guys from the NY Times are obviously liberal (and some obviously conservative). But these are people in the opinion and analysis industry, NOT the news-reporting arm.

And what about RatherGate? He got fired because the evidence he relied upon was not an original, but only a facsimile, of something that actually existed. But it still ended his career. There's no way the same level of journalistic integrity or accountability would be present at Fox.

It wouldn't irk me so much if they didn't pretend to be the only true journalists out there. "Fair and Balanced." "We Report. You Decide." And some people actually believe it.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goatwhacker » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:55 am

Matthias wrote:I disagree with the whole, "liberal media" and the, "everybody does it" arguments.

Yah yah, Jayson Blair. Whatever. He was canned as soon as it became obvious. And the Times took the extra step of installing an obudsman to try to better deal with this and their relations with the public. Faux News doesn't give a damn.

There are obviously columnists and journalists with their political viewpoints. Olbermann is obviously liberal. Some of the Op-Ed guys from the NY Times are obviously liberal (and some obviously conservative). But these are people in the opinion and analysis industry, NOT the news-reporting arm.

And what about RatherGate? He got fired because the evidence he relied upon was not an original, but only a facsimile, of something that actually existed. But it still ended his career. There's no way the same level of journalistic integrity or accountability would be present at Fox.

It wouldn't irk me so much if they didn't pretend to be the only true journalists out there. "Fair and Balanced." "We Report. You Decide." And some people actually believe it.

Yes, the NYT has an ombudsman, who's main purpose is to say "We shouldn't have done that" months after they've already run the story. And yes, they do have a token conservative among their op-ed writers. But implying that the NYT is unbiased is just not accurate. You can look up the party affiliations of their editorial board on-line. Gee, what party do you think they all belong to? And how many GOP did the NYT endorse this past election? Oh yes, that would be zero. In fact, they endorse Democrat candidates overwhelmingly every election.

On Rather, the document was forged, not a facsimile. It was also provided by a source with an ax to grind against Bush. Despite that, Rather and Mapes bought it hook, line and sinker. CBS own investigative report describes it better than I can.

Fox News is obviously biased. The New York Times and most of the print/television media is biased as well. Talk radio is biased but is pretty honest about it. All media is biased, it's up to us to figure out which way and interpret their stories in that light.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk