Article says Tom Brady is a weak play this week... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Article says Tom Brady is a weak play this week...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Article says Tom Brady is a weak play this week...

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:37 pm

From Yahoo's sit/start

WEAK PLAY - QUARTERBACK

Tom Brady, New England Patriots vs. Green Bay Packers

If anyone knows about the stingy Indianapolis pass defense, it is Brady, who faced the Colts in Week 9 and didn't fare as well as he and his team had hoped for. Over the past month, Brady averaged 256 yards and 1.8 touchdowns per game, but he has also thrown 1.5 interceptions per contest and has been sacked 2.8 times per outing.

Sure, Brady's yardage and touchdown totals during that time look pretty solid, but when you look at his output from the past two games (where the Patriots have gone 0-2), things don't look as bright. During that time, Brady has averaged a mere 187 yards and 0.5 touchdowns per game with two interceptions per contest. Against a Green Bay secondary that has allowed opposing quarterbacks to throw for 233 yards and 1.3 touchdowns per game with 1.3 interceptions per outing, view Brady as a weaker play this week, and nothing better than an injury replacement for your team.


Have I been living under a rock for the past 10 weeks? Green Bay's pass defense is awful, one of the worst in the league (right?). Isn't Brady actually a very strong play this week? I was going to start him with confidence this week and I still will. Just wanted to see others thoughts on this, as this Yahoo Start/Sit article is usually pretty informative.
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1266
Joined: 2 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:56 pm

GB's secondary has gotten a bit better the last few weeks with Woodson playing well. A healthy Woodson and Al Harris make for a good CB combo. Their safeties are the weak point IMO.

It's likely Yahoo was putting more wieght on recent weeks, so a GB secondary that's been playing well + a struggling Brady who's been playing bad = not a great start option.

I kinda agree, but depends who your backup is. If people have a better option than Brady this week, it would be best to consider it.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5971
Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:03 pm

That's terrible advice from Yahoo.
BillyHallDisciple
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 246
Joined: 1 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:06 pm

after brady has thrown 5 INTs and 1 TD in the last 2 games, which were both at home....i dont trust him a lot right now.
Image
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15165
Joined: 17 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Giggity Giggity

Postby Popcynical » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:13 pm

We've got a rookie cornerback in Dendy who Belichick/Brady will surely pick on. Sad thing is, he's probably not worse than Carroll.

We're also making up for our poor secondary with our 3-3-5 on passing downs... our linebackers have improved since the beginning of the season on coverage.

That said... I still don't expect great things from our defense this week. But we're definitely not the worst one out there. Our strong point is putting pressure on the quarterback, so expect to see Brady on his back on more than a few occasions :-)
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 3076
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:14 pm

Doesn't GB have the #32 pass D in the league? I'm starting Brady with confidence this week.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:29 pm

In yards allowed through the air, GB ranks 32nd. But that's hardly the best judge of a pass defense. They are near the bottom in passing TDs given up though. But if you look at other more comprehensive defensive rankings, they're middle of the pack.

FootballOutsiders has them ranked 17th in pass defense, with a total defense efficiency rank of 20th. Aikman's efficiency ratings has their defense at 18th, but his system doesn't exactly break things down into pass and rush defense.

Overall, GB's defense isn't as bad as NFL.com's stat page suggests, since they don't weight past and current performance.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5971
Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:33 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:after brady has thrown 5 INTs and 1 TD in the last 2 games, which were both at home....i dont trust him a lot right now.


I am more hesitant than most weeks with him. He's been cold lately, and also have caught wind that his right shoulder has been bothering him.

That said, he could blow up...But I understand the trepidation.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 22027
Joined: 3 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Has Left The Premises.

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:37 pm

beanoX3 wrote:In yards allowed through the air, GB ranks 32nd. But that's hardly the best judge of a pass defense. They are near the bottom in passing TDs given up though. But if you look at other more comprehensive defensive rankings, they're middle of the pack.

FootballOutsiders has them ranked 17th in pass defense, with a total defense efficiency rank of 20th. Aikman's efficiency ratings has their defense at 18th, but his system doesn't exactly break things down into pass and rush defense.

Overall, GB's defense isn't as bad as NFL.com's stat page suggests, since they don't weight past and current performance.


C'mon now. Brad Johnson just dropped 250 on these bums. Before that game, GB faced the JP Losman, Matt Leinart, and Joey Harrington led passing juggernauts. That's four extremely weak offenses in a row, and GB is STILL near the bottom in all the pass defense categories.

You wanna go ahead and compare Tom Brady/NE to any of the aforementioned QBs/teams ?

Honestly, if you sit Tom Brady this week, you are damn near a fool in my book unless you have another incredible matchup at QB2. I'm gonna say he goes for 300/2 minimum. Ok, maybe that is not giving them enough credit. 275/2 minimum.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:56 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:In yards allowed through the air, GB ranks 32nd. But that's hardly the best judge of a pass defense. They are near the bottom in passing TDs given up though. But if you look at other more comprehensive defensive rankings, they're middle of the pack.

FootballOutsiders has them ranked 17th in pass defense, with a total defense efficiency rank of 20th. Aikman's efficiency ratings has their defense at 18th, but his system doesn't exactly break things down into pass and rush defense.

Overall, GB's defense isn't as bad as NFL.com's stat page suggests, since they don't weight past and current performance.


C'mon now. Brad Johnson just dropped 250 on these bums. Before that game, GB faced the JP Losman, Matt Leinart, and Joey Harrington led passing juggernauts. That's four extremely weak offenses in a row, and GB is STILL near the bottom in all the pass defense categories.

You wanna go ahead and compare Tom Brady/NE to any of the aforementioned QBs/teams ?

Honestly, if you sit Tom Brady this week, you are damn near a fool in my book unless you have another incredible matchup at QB2. I'm gonna say he goes for 300/2 minimum. Ok, maybe that is not giving them enough credit. 275/2 minimum.

I never said Brady should be benched or that GB's defense is so great. Just pointing out that GB's pass defense isn't as bad as some people think. And yards don't really matter as much as TDs in some leagues.

But seeing how badly Brady has been playing lately, it isn't that much of a stretch to think about benching him if there is another option with a better matchup to go with. Yea, Brady is a great real life QB, but this year fantasy-wise, Brady hasn't been all that great of a QB who is a must start each week.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5971
Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 16:08 hours
(and 45 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact