UCLA Student Repeatedly Tasered by Cops - Video - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

UCLA Student Repeatedly Tasered by Cops - Video

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Sandrock » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:11 pm

There's a point at which you stop telling the guy in cuffs to stand up and drag him out of there yourself. It's absolutely ridiculous to stand there and repeat over and over "stand up" just cause you feel like tazering him again. After a few times the cops should have just dragged him out.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:02 am

Sandrock wrote:There's a point at which you stop telling the guy in cuffs to stand up and drag him out of there yourself. It's absolutely ridiculous to stand there and repeat over and over "stand up" just cause you feel like tazering him again. After a few times the cops should have just dragged him out.

I agree. From what I remember from law classes long ago - which probably doesn't apply to the whacked legal system of California anyway - there is a distinct difference between 'excessive force' and 'police brutality'. I think this would clearly fall under the former. In such a situation, the cops usually get a slap on the wrist like a week suspension, can forget about any type of promotion, and basically have 'idiot cop' labeled to their file.

The guy doesn't have a civil case leg to stand on because he was clearly disobeying police instruction. It would be similar to blocking a street in protest of something, and the cops come by and spray you down with a fire hose if you refuse to move. You can't claim pain and suffering because you were breaking a law.

While the officers themselves can be reprimanded for using excessive force, the city (or whoever) is not liable for your damages because they have a right and a duty to enforce the law.

That's my take on it - when you get an idiot being arrested by idiots, something idiotic is bound to happen.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Goatwhacker » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:24 am

I finally watched the video...

1. The student had the power to stop the tasering at any time by just standing up and walking out of the building, so you have to question his motives. He reminded me of Dennis the Peasant in Monty Python and the Holy Grail shouting "Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! HELP, HELP, I'M BEING REPRESSED!".

2. The campus police botched the situation, too. It seems like there enough of them to just pick up the guy and drag him out of the building. Besides, it looked like they were risking a riot.

3. Some of the UCLA students were humorous, asking for badge numbers in the middle of an altercation. I think one girl shouted "This is totally inappropriate", was she going to threaten the police with a time-out next?

4. The campus police relased their side of the story: http://www.ucpd.ucla.edu/ucpd/zippdf/20 ... -15-06.pdf and their policy on taser use: http://www.ucpd.ucla.edu/ucpd/zippdf/20 ... licies.pdf . it looks like their use of the taser in "drive-stun" mode was within their policy (which isn't to say they didn't use poor judgment).

5. UCLA has a lot nicer library than I had when I was in college.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:29 am

There's one thing I forgot to add. The guy shooting the video sucked. I wanted some good clear shots of this weasel flopping around like a fish while taking those taser shots! ;-D
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby onnestabe » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:09 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:4. The campus police relased their side of the story: http://www.ucpd.ucla.edu/ucpd/zippdf/20 ... -15-06.pdf and their policy on taser use: http://www.ucpd.ucla.edu/ucpd/zippdf/20 ... licies.pdf . it looks like their use of the taser in "drive-stun" mode was within their policy (which isn't to say they didn't use poor judgment).

Thanks for the links. After reading the reports, it is clear to me that the officers used excessive force. On the first page of the taser use policy, it says the officers should consider these factors before using the taser:
(a) The potential for injury to the officer(s) or others if the technique is not used,
(b) The potential risk of serious injury to the individual being controlled,
(c) The degree to which the pain compliance technique may be controlled in application according to the level of resistance,
(d) The nature of the offense involved,
(e) The level of resistance of the individual(s) involved,
(f) The need for prompt resolution of the situation,
(g) If time permits (e.g. passive demonstrators), other reasonable alternatives.

I think they used it in consideration of (f). If they didn't get him out of there quickly, there was the possibility of a some sort of student demonstration breaking out.

But - the guy was demonstrating passively, so, under (g), there was time to just put the guy in handcuffs and drag the guy out. Then you just post an officer at the library to check campus IDs for the rest of the night. Add to that the fact that he disclosed a medical condition, bringing (b) into the equation, and I think it's clear that they used excessive force.

There really was no need to use the taser in this situation as there were reasonable alternatives to doing so, and there was potential for serious harm to the protester.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby gablefan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:21 pm

I think everyone needs to look at it from the cops point of view.

1) Was this man of sound mind and body? No, From what I heard before they ever tazed him, he was acting inappropriately and a bit "off". I think he may have been high, who knows....

2) If the man in question is deemed not of sound mind and body, what are the steps to take? If their steps include tazer, then by all means. I would not have trusted him to get close to put cuffs on him without him laying on the ground face down.

3) Has anyone though about putting their life on the line for their jobs? I mean seriously thought about that? If so they would take all of the precautions they could to prevent them and others from harms way.

That is just might take, I would need to see Everything to make a clear judgement on what should have happened. But, I go with safety. ;-D
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:56 pm

gablefan wrote:3) Has anyone though about putting their life on the line for their jobs? I mean seriously thought about that? If so they would take all of the precautions they could to prevent them and others from harms way.

Being a taxi driver is more dangerous than being a police officer, especially the private University variety. (Don't believe me? Check it out: http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/26/pf/jobs_jeopardy/). But you don't see taxi drivers shocking people through the seats if the people are abusive to them.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:10 pm

Tazers should be outlawed. Cops are way too liberal with them thinking they are "safe" and a "non-lethal" alternative. I was an acquantaince of a guy killed by an overzealous tazer-wielding cop. 28 year old guy got into a bar fight, and died from a heart attack after getting tazed.

And for those people saying that he should have just stood up, let's see you standup straight after repeatedly sticking a fork in an electrical socket. Tazers don't just cause pain, they are dangerous can seriously affect your body. To me, that's like saying he should have just stood up after he had gotten stabbed 3 times.

Tazer = lethal weapon
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:23 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Tazers should be outlawed. Cops are way too liberal with them thinking they are "safe" and a "non-lethal" alternative. I was an acquantaince of a guy killed by an overzealous tazer-wielding cop. 28 year old guy got into a bar fight, and died from a heart attack after getting tazed.

And for those people saying that he should have just stood up, let's see you standup straight after repeatedly sticking a fork in an electrical socket. Tazers don't just cause pain, they are dangerous can seriously affect your body. To me, that's like saying he should have just stood up after he had gotten stabbed 3 times.

Tazer = lethal weapon

He was carrying on about the Patriot Act and whatnot rather forcefully after being tasered, so I don't really buy the whole "he couldn't stand up" it. Also, if he actually couldn't stand up because of it, why didn't he just say that instead of screaming like a moron?
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Goatwhacker » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:15 pm

I think people are mischaracterizing the use of a taser in this instance. The taser was in drive-stun mode, which is safer and does not have long-term medical consequences. I don't believe a taser in drive-stun mode would prevent someone from walking or standing up.

http://dailybruin.com/news/articles.asp?ID=39001
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk