Can a commissioner veto his own trade that he offered? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Can a commissioner veto his own trade that he offered?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Can a commissioner veto his own trade that he offered?

Postby Dumbjaw » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:32 am

I'm in a Yahoo! league. The commissioner offered me Michael Vick for Reggie Bush yesterday. I accepted the trade and awaited the league's review of the trade and the pending acceptance of it. There was no collusion and no cause for an unfair balance amongst the teams. Keep in mind that the trade deadline is tonight at midnight.

This morning, I wake up and he had vetoed the trade. He offered it, I accepted it, and then he vetoed it. His reason given: "I was just messing around."

While there's no way to prove it, this reeks of him having cold feet about the trade post-acceptance and using his power to cancel it rather than follow standard Yahoo! trading policies. Don't let that sway your opinion, because it's heresy, but what would you do? Is this even remotely acceptable, or am I overreacting?

What if the commissioner was your cousin and one of your most favorite people? Perhaps at the Thanksgiving dinner table, I will steal his ham.
Dumbjaw
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Can a commissioner veto his own trade that he offered?

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:35 am

Dumbjaw wrote:I'm in a Yahoo! league. The commissioner offered me Michael Vick for Reggie Bush yesterday. I accepted the trade and awaited the league's review of the trade and the pending acceptance of it. There was no collusion and no cause for an unfair balance amongst the teams. Keep in mind that the trade deadline is tonight at midnight.

This morning, I wake up and he had vetoed the trade. He offered it, I accepted it, and then he vetoed it. His reason given: "I was just messing around."

While there's no way to prove it, this reeks of him having cold feet about the trade post-acceptance and using his power to cancel it rather than follow standard Yahoo! trading policies. Don't let that sway your opinion, because it's heresy, but what would you do? Is this even remotely acceptable, or am I overreacting?

What if the commissioner was your cousin and one of your most favorite people? Perhaps at the Thanksgiving dinner table, I will steal his ham.

see if he'll accept the trade first, turkey for the ham, if not try to counter offer your sweet potatoes and turkey for his mashed and ham. you might throw in some gravey if you feel that would be more acceptable.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bowie » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:28 pm

He abused his power.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Twisted Sister » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:48 pm

That was messed up, yeah he abused his power and is unethical.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:53 pm

Definately abuse of power... unless of course he believed your intent was to press the reject button. Then it would be ok... ;-)
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dumbjaw » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:00 pm

It turns out he did it to "rub it in my face" that he has both McNabb and Vick, and that he never intended to follow through with the trade. He says it's his "dry humor."

As a sign of good will, he reoffered the trade. To make it more fair, I gave him Grossman/Bush for Vick. He immediately dropped Grossman and picked up Favre. Guess he didn't like the QB.

Either way, it all worked out. Part of me feels guilty, but the whole thing was sort of malicious, intentional or not.
Dumbjaw
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Bowie » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:10 pm

If he wanted to rub it in your face, he should have used the message board.

BTW, I would rather have Grossman than Vick. Vick's numbers are inflated by two big weeks (7 out of his 12 passing TDs came in weeks 7 and 8) and he has returned to his mediocre self since then. Also, Grossman's playoff schedule (week 15 + 16) is signifigantly easier (although week 15 in Chicago could have bad weather).
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dumbjaw » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:56 pm

I'd rather have Kitna/Vick as a combination than Kitna/Grossman is really what it comes down to. Vick has higher upside every week because he's basically a passing RB.
Dumbjaw
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Bowie » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:54 am

Dumbjaw wrote:I'd rather have Kitna/Vick as a combination than Kitna/Grossman is really what it comes down to. Vick has higher upside every week because he's basically a passing RB.

That's funny, because the "passing RB" description is usually used against Vick, not for him. Oh well, it is close enough to be a judgement call, I just happen to disagree on this one.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:29 am

That is really unethical- you should have an assistant commish that can review trades involving the commish.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk