Unethical or good strategy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Unethical or good strategy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Unethical or good strategy?

Postby Budman_ffc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:05 am

I am 9-1 and have already locked into the playoffs. One more win in the next three games and I will be the #1 seed so I could afford to throw a game.

I'm considering throwing this weeks game to help Team A out that is in the playoff hunt and is one game up on Team B that has been very hot the last 4 weeks and I would rather not have to face in the playoffs.

Unethical or good strategy?
Last edited by Budman_ffc on Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's my two cents and it's worth every penny of it!

Semper Fi!
Budman_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 2095
Joined: 13 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Watchin the game with fingers X'd!!!

Postby LooseCannon » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:14 am

Completely unethical. I'll let someone else explain it to you, but you can't purposely try to keep a team out of the playoffs..
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
LooseCannon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle Eye
Posts: 293
Joined: 17 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SDubya » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:17 am

Completely bogus...just like Sweden in last year's Olympic Hockey tournament.

I don't believe in ever throwing a game, but if you're going to do it, make sure it doesn't affect which teams make the playoffs.
SDubya
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 140
Joined: 12 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Think this is unethical or good strategy?

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:20 am

Budman_ffc wrote:I am 9-1 and have already locked into the playoffs. One more win in the next three games and I will be the #1 seed so I could afford to throw a game.

I'm considering throwing this weeks game to help Team A out that is in the playoff hunt and is one game up on Team B that has been very hot the last 4 weeks and I would rather not have to face in the playoffs.

Unethical or good strategy?


I guess I would say translate it into real football or any other sport forthat matter. If say the Colts were a lock to get into the playoffs, but they had the choice of helping a team they had a better matchup against get into the playoffs by throwing a game, would that be ethical. I know that in my opinion, it would be pretty unethical. I would say no, don't do it. I mean at least the real teams can just say that they wanted to rest their players so nobody got injured, but you can't even say that ;-)

I'm not saying I wouldn't do it if I were faced with the situation, but I don't think I would. ( You never know until you have to make the decision).

If you were to do it, then at least kind of mask it a bit. You know, don't sit all of your starters or anything. Just make subtle decisions. IE, sit Manning because the Cowboys above-average defense and Vince Young really has a hot hand. :-b

Or, sit LT because Denver has allowed the least points/game this season and he won't be able to have the same production, but Anthony Thomas is playing against a poor Houston team and did well versus Indy last week. :-b

Anyway, you get my point I think ;-D
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Postby Heimholder » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:20 am

:-t - I say it's unethical. Throwing games is unsportsmanlike and will ruin your league, even if your goal is only to benefit yourself. If I'm the guy that misses the playoffs because of you, I'm quitting next year for sure.

Even in pro sports there are certain occasions when throwing a game is to a team's benefit (jockeying for next season's draft position, goofy NBA playoff structure, etc.), and teams still don't do it, at least not overtly.

And besides all of that, it seems to be one of those karma things you just don't do. The fantasy football gods are a finicky bunch, trust me :-) .
Image
Heimholder
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 428
Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Kalamazoo

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:24 am

That is completely unethical- think of it as if you are team B- how would you feel if that happened to you?
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Postby Budman_ffc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:14 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:That is completely unethical- think of it as if you are team B- how would you feel if that happened to you?


I admit I wouldn't like it if I thought that this took place, but I would also have to admit that it was through my own actions that me and my team were in that that situation meaning if I had done a better job I would have a better record and therefore earn my way into the playoffs on my own merits regardless of what any other teams may do.

Also, Team A (5-5) beat Team B (4-6) in their only meeting of the season, but our tie-breakers go like this:

1. Best W-L record
2. Most total points scored during the season
3. Head to head matchups
4. Best divisional record

If they end up tied Team B will go by virtue of having scored more points this season.

Not saying I will do this, but I am also looking at this another way as well. I feel that every team has control of their own destiny at the start of the season and it is through their own actions what their records are by this time of the season. Imo Team B put themselves in this position by virtue of their record to this point which is 4-6. If he wins out he will make the playoffs as the #6 seed. He has won 4 of 5 and is scoring BIG! I'd just prefer to not have him in the playoffs.

My lineup should be...
Kitna
LT
KJ
S. Smith
T. Holt
Gates
Vinatieri
Ravens

My lineup could be....
Delhomme
KJ
Westy (much better matchup than LT)
S. Smith
Mark Clayton, G. Jennings, A. Bryant or Coles (Holt has done little in any of the last 3 games).
Gates
Vinatieri
Ravens

It is quite likely that this lineup could win as well. The second lineup is very defendable, yet would probably not score as many points and would give Team A a better chance of beating me. By no means would he get an easy victory.
Last edited by Budman_ffc on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
That's my two cents and it's worth every penny of it!

Semper Fi!
Budman_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 2095
Joined: 13 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Watchin the game with fingers X'd!!!

Postby mysticphysh » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:25 pm

I would be completely pissed if I was on the verge of the playoffs and I thought somebody threw a game to help another team get in the playoffs over me. And you say that every team has control over their record, but that is BS when YOU start screwing with other people's records.

I'm assuming you're league is playoffs week 16 and 17. So if Team A, who you want to help, goes the next few weeks and ends up 9-6 and makes the playoffs. Say Team B goes 9-6 and does not make the playoffs because team A had a few more points. You look back and your bench (your normal starters) outscored team A but Team A won because you threw the game? How would that make you feel? Team B would have had a better record, but will now miss the playoffs because you interferred.

It is absolutely, unimaginably, inexcusably unethical and grounds for expulsion from the league. And if I were Team B and filed a complaint with the commish and nothing was done about it, I would quit that league next year.
Image
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 3465
Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Budman_ffc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:39 pm

mysticphysh wrote:I'm assuming you're league is playoffs week 16 and 17.


Playoffs are weeks 14, 15, & 16. Six teams get in and top team in each division gets a 1st round bye.

mysticphysh wrote:So if Team A, who you want to help, goes the next few weeks and ends up 9-6 and makes the playoffs. Say Team B goes 9-6 and does not make the playoffs because team A had a few more points. You look back and your bench (your normal starters) outscored team A but Team A won because you threw the game? How would that make you feel? Team B would have had a better record, but will now miss the playoffs because you interferred.


Actually Team B would go in your scenario due to him having more points, but I get your drift. Due to the remaining matchups Team B will get in regardless of what I may do if he wins out as there four teams at 5-5 and two teams at 4-6 and four of this group will go on to the playoffs. You say his record to this point is BS but it really isn't....if had done a better job early in the season there would be no opportunity on my part....period.

Also, if you think things like this don't happen in the NFL you are nuts....they just disguise it well as described above.
That's my two cents and it's worth every penny of it!

Semper Fi!
Budman_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 2095
Joined: 13 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Watchin the game with fingers X'd!!!

Postby mysticphysh » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:49 pm

Budman_ffc wrote:You say his record to this point is BS but it really isn't....if had done a better job early in the season there would be no opportunity on my part....period.


To this point? So, because that person had an average first part of the season, it's ok for you to possibly screw him out of the playoffs? Who cares what kind of season either team has had to this point as long as the right team makes the playoffs FAIRLY? If Team A would have done better with his team to this point, he wouldn't need your little nudge to push him into the playoffs. Just let them be and maintain the intergrity of your league. ;-D
Image
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 3465
Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 8:11 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact