Return to Football Talk

Unethical or good strategy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mysticphysh » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:17 pm

Pete123444 wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:
Pete123444 wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:
Pete123444 wrote:It's funny, mysticphysh(sp) and Matthias both say it's ok to trade Harrison for better matchups in playoffs but are strongly against this.

Yeah, that's COMPLETELY different than losing a game purposely to help another team make the playoffs. :-?

You're saying it's ok to weaken your team for weeks 11-14 for the sake of the playoff run in the other thread. Here your saying you have to submit your very best lineup for every game of the regular season for the sake of "fairness" to the league.

If he can make a trade for one of the WRs I mentioned, he's NOT weakening his team at all.

I can't remember the list but Ward was on it and he's not scoring as many points as Harrison.

Harry - 719 /5

Here's who I suggested because they have good week 17 matchups.

Ward -672 /6
Walker -731/6
Burress - 558/5
Stallworth - 443/3
Brown - 520 /5

Those are pretty darn close numbers to Harry's, and there's not a big gap in FF scoring. Burress is the odd man out because Stallworth's numbers are low due to injury. Plus Harry has such a stud status attached to him, he might be able to get another player out of the deal.

Trading is a part of the game. You stregthen YOUR team the best you can. Purposely throwing a game just because you're afraid to take on another team head-to-head is just lame. :-t

If I were in a league where somebody did that and the league didn't take action, I'd quit that league the next year. That's not fun.

And nobody is going to change my mind, and I'm not going to change anybody's mind, so I'm done arguing this topic. ;-D
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby fantasizing » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:19 pm

Budman_ffc wrote:
fantasizing wrote:Yeah, then If I'm a fan who paid $100 to sit in the stands to watch one team essentially forfit their game then I demand my money back. Essentially, I paid good money to watch one team not be competitive and not give 100% effort. I know it happens, but it is the most unethical piece of crap any team can possibly do and does an injustice to the NFL fans.

Hmmm.....as a Colts fan in this scenario I would be glad if my team greatly increased its chances of winning the superbowl, especially if they had already locked up homefield advantage. Boy, if my memory is correct that sounds pretty similar to what has happened recently under the guise of "resting the starters and keeping them healthy". How many times has this happened in the real life when a certain team has locked up home field early. What's the chances it happens again this year if the Colts lose a game in the next few weeks?

As a Jets fan I'd just be glad they won and their playoff hopes were still alive regardless of how it happened. A win is a win in the NFL.

Yes, as a Colts fan, I would be very satisfied paying $100 to watch my Colts team throw a 41-0 loss to the NY Jets because hey, they at least they improved their chances of winning the superbowl. You pay to watch teams compete and may the best man win. This whole business of resting players and forfeiting is ridiculous.
Last edited by fantasizing on Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Pete123444 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:22 pm

mysticphysh wrote:And nobody is going to change my mind, and I'm not going to change anybody's mind, so I'm done arguing this topic. ;-D

;-D ;-D

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Re: Unethical or good strategy?

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:25 pm

Budman_ffc wrote:I am 9-1 and have already locked into the playoffs. One more win in the next three games and I will be the #1 seed so I could afford to throw a game.

I'm considering throwing this weeks game to help Team A out that is in the playoff hunt and is one game up on Team B that has been very hot the last 4 weeks and I would rather not have to face in the playoffs.

Unethical or good strategy?

Totally unethical and I'm not even going to read through the entire thread because anyone who disagrees is insane. :-t

Try to do your best every single week and if you were meant to win you'll win. Who's to say that you are guaranteed to win if you don't have to face the hot team? Truly competitive people want to face the best in order to win.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:33 pm

Well I lied. :-/

I just read the 1st page and noticed that some people think that this is OK and ethical. I'm now going to read the entire thread and write down the names of all these people so I know not to ever invite them to join any of my leagues.

:-t

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Budman_ffc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:35 pm

All in all this was a very informative and well debated topic (for the most part). I enjoyed the debate and playing devil's advocate very much. The final tally ended up at 9-9-3. LOL! Close indeed!

Thanks to all for a satisfying discussion and to be honest with you I am still wrestling with it. Not the right and wrong of it as it isn't illegal and therefore not "wrong", but the spirit of competitiveness in me is finding it very hard to intentionally lose a game. Have a good night all.
That's my two cents and it's worth every penny of it!

Semper Fi!
Budman_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:47 pm

Budman_ffc wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:That's just the thing. When somebody messes with their lineup to purposely lose, that's taking the other team's records out of their hands. That gives an easy win to Team A, giving him a slight edge in making the playoffs over Team B.

So I should just give up an advantage in the game that I worked hard to earn? Why is intentionally trying to hurt my own chances to win it all less of an injustice or any different than trying hurt another team's chances of getting to the playoffs?

It's simple dude. You have no confidence in your own team so you are going to cheat in order to win. Cheating is unethical and I honestly hope that you decide to do this and win despite trying to lose. Sorry if I come off as harsh but I hate it when people cheat. It's the same thing as the athlete who uses steroids. They know they aren't good enough without steroids so they cheat by using steroids.

I'd much rather try to pull an upset against the better team WITHOUT cheating. Just like the Jets when they were a 17 point underdog to the Colts in SB 3. I'd rather win fair and square. But obviously you want to win at any cost even if you have to resort to cheating.

flotsamnjetsam

Postby Leber » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:49 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Budman_ffc wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:That's just the thing. When somebody messes with their lineup to purposely lose, that's taking the other team's records out of their hands. That gives an easy win to Team A, giving him a slight edge in making the playoffs over Team B.

So I should just give up an advantage in the game that I worked hard to earn? Why is intentionally trying to hurt my own chances to win it all less of an injustice or any different than trying hurt another team's chances of getting to the playoffs?

It's simple dude. You have no confidence in your own team so you are going to cheat in order to win. Cheating is unethical and I honestly hope that you decide to do this and win despite trying to lose. Sorry if I come off as harsh but I hate it when people cheat. It's the same thing as the athlete who uses steroids. They know they aren't good enough without steroids so they cheat by using steroids.

I'd much rather try to pull an upset against the better team WITHOUT cheating. Just like the Jets when they were a 17 point underdog to the Colts in SB 3. I'd rather win fair and square. But obviously you want to win at any cost even if you have to resort to cheating.

cheat-to violate rules or regulations

If he is not violating any league rules then he's not really cheating, is he?
Leber
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:56 pm

Leber wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Budman_ffc wrote:

cheat-to violate rules or regulations

If he is not violating any league rules then he's not really cheating, is he?

Throwing a game is cheating. It doesn't have to say it in the rules. I sure that it doesn't say in the rules that you can't hack into your oppenents computer and change his lineup but we all know that would be cheating, wrong, and unethical.

flotsamnjetsam

Postby Budman_ffc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:13 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Budman_ffc wrote:

I really was done with this, but since you insist...

#1. If the rules stated this was illegal then it would be cheating. Since they don't...it isn't...period.

#2. Last year the Colts were 13-0 then lost two of their last three games under the premise of "resting their starters and avoiding injuries". Was this "illegal" since they obviously didn't field their best team or do their best to win those games? If it was the NFL would have taken action. It was a case of a dominant team taking advantage of their record to help themselves in the playoffs. It just so happened that both of those losses were to teams that were contenders...the Chargers and the Seahawks.

Do you think the Steelers were happy to watch Indy lose that game? Heck no, but they did what they had to do and won out and made their way into the playoffs anyways and we all know what happened after that.

Do you think the Bears were glad to see Indy hand Seattle the homefield advantage through the NFC championships in golden-wrapped case? Heck no, but it was legal and the season went on.

My situation is no different...I'm just trying to do the best I can for my team....period. As long as the written rules are not violated it isn't illegal or unjust. Just teams trying their best to help themselves out.

Btw, using steroids is a violation of the rules and therefore is cheating....not the same thing at all.
Last edited by Budman_ffc on Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's my two cents and it's worth every penny of it!

Semper Fi!
Budman_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk