Some Trouble at my Church - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Some Trouble at my Church

Moderator: Football Moderators

Some Trouble at my Church

Postby knapplc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:09 pm

The parents of a soldier killed in Iraq this week attend my church. His memorial service is scheduled for this Monday at my church. Unfortunately, since we're so close to Kansas here in Lincoln, it appears that the "people" who protest at the funerals of soldiers will be coming to our church to spread their hate at a time when the family should be left free to grieve and remember their son and brother.

There's going to be this whole mess there - police, possibly SWAT, the protesters, the Patriot Guard Riders and who knows how many people just watching. The police have designated a spot for the "protesters" across the four-lane street from my church, but these nitwits will be holding huge placards and shouting at the families. It's just a horrible mess.

This is something that I am going to have to avoid. I have an extremely low tolerance for these people (read: ZERO) and if I go, I'll probably end up getting arrested. We've had a few ideas to stop their hatred, like a counter-protest, creating twelve-foot-tall banners to block the family's view of these freaks, to a water cannon (my favorite idea).

Another crummy thing about all of this is that my in-laws live about 50 feet from where these nitwits are going to set up. I feel bad for them as well.

Sorry for the diatribe. I'm just really upset about this and I wanted to vent.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Some Trouble at my Church

Postby Dawinner127 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:12 pm

knapplc wrote:This is something that I am going to have to avoid. I have an extremely low tolerance for these people (read: ZERO) and if I go, I'll probably end up getting arrested. We've had a few ideas to stop their hatred, like a counter-protest, creating twelve-foot-tall banners to block the family's view of these freaks, to a water cannon (my favorite idea).

8-o That's not a good thing :-t
My prayers for the family whose son died
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:20 pm

Wow, that's just awful. I couldn't even imagine trying to hold a memorial service for a loved one who had just given his life for his country, and having a bunch of idiots with an agenda come protest a war. There are just some people in this world with no respect whatsoever. I don't care how strongly you feel about the War in Iraq, to protest the war at the funeral of a solider is downright terrible.
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby confused_jake » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:28 pm

These protesters are idiots. What's going to happen at your church has NOTHING to do with the war in Iraq. I think what they will do is the ultimate act of disrespect. knapp I wouldn't think any less of you if you went out there and kicked some ass ;-D .
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:31 pm

sportsaddict wrote:Wow, that's just awful. I couldn't even imagine trying to hold a memorial service for a loved one who had just given his life for his country, and having a bunch of idiots with an agenda come protest a war. There are just some people in this world with no respect whatsoever. I don't care how strongly you feel about the War in Iraq, to protest the war at the funeral of a solider is downright terrible.

Well, that's the problem - they're not protesting the war. They're protesting America's "tolerance" of homosexuality. They are anti-gay, and they choose to voice that at the funerals of soldiers. Their signs say basically that it's a good thing that these soldiers have died because they support a government that supports gays.

Their signs are just pure hatred towards the families of the fallen soldiers. It's absolutely incredible to me. I'm all for the First Amendment, but it's things like this that really make me think it's a shame it has to apply to these people.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dawinner127 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:33 pm

knapplc wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:Wow, that's just awful. I couldn't even imagine trying to hold a memorial service for a loved one who had just given his life for his country, and having a bunch of idiots with an agenda come protest a war. There are just some people in this world with no respect whatsoever. I don't care how strongly you feel about the War in Iraq, to protest the war at the funeral of a solider is downright terrible.

Well, that's the problem - they're not protesting the war. They're protesting America's "tolerance" of homosexuality. They are anti-gay, and they choose to voice that at the funerals of soldiers. Their signs say basically that it's a good thing that these soldiers have died because they support a government that supports gays.

Their signs are just pure hatred towards the families of the fallen soldiers. It's absolutely incredible to me. I'm all for the First Amendment, but it's things like this that really make me think it's a shame it has to apply to these people.

Oh wow, I thought it was because they didn't want the war, but that is just rediculous. They have hatred towards the familes whose sons and daughters die because they support a government that supports gays 8-o That is awful :-t
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:34 pm

knapplc wrote:

They're not protesting the war??? What?!! That's even more pathetic. That's just plain sad. They all deserve to be arrested.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Goatwhacker » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm

Knapp, that is awful. I do like the water cannon idea but I guess it's one of times you just have to suck it up and be better than them. I can guess how you feel though, the poor family of the soldier has already been through enough.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:45 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:
knapplc wrote:

They're not protesting the war??? What?!! That's even more pathetic. That's just plain sad. They all deserve to be arrested.

They're just exercising their First Amendment Rights. They're doing it in a lawful way - they've alerted the local government of their intentions, they've received permits to hold their protest, and their signs and words are just Freedom of Speech issues.

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. It's from the movie The American President, and even though it's a chick-flick it has one of the best-written statements about the First Amendment I've ever heard:

America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can stand up and sing about the "land of the free."

I don't like it, but they have the right to do this.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby josebach » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:33 pm

That sucks. I've seen those wackos on TV. It's this special church that has around 100 members or so and most of them are all in one family. Attention is what they're after. They get off on conflict and being yelled at, so the best thing to do is just avoid them.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk