Some Trouble at my Church - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Some Trouble at my Church

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Flux » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:03 am

That picture of the PGR is great ;-D

Too bad that the protestors showed up, but thats great news that nothing got out of hand and their protests got drowned out.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:05 am

Man those PGR guys are cool. Glad too here those crackpots were not able to do much of anything. I bet those motorcycles revving their engines wasnt very pleasant, but I'm sure it was much easier to tolerate than having to hear those douchebag assclowns spreading their hate at the top of their lungs. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:06 am

knapplc wrote:Sorry for not putting up an update earlier. I'm on "vacation," which means working on a zillion projects at home while I'm off.

Thank God for the Patriot Guard Riders. These guys take time off work, they drive sometimes hundreds of miles, and they do it all for no money and usually very little recognition. We said a prayer for them last night at our bible study.

Unfortunately, the "asshats" as someone so aptly described them, showed up. What they fail to realize is that Good always triumphs over Evil. To wit, we have this photo showing the PGR at their business:

Here's another photo of Lance Cpl. Scholl at his business:

I stayed away from the funeral. I did not know the marine, and I do not really know his family. Our little church was PACKED as it was, so I didn't think it made any sense for me to be there. It's a funeral, not a spectacle.

From what I understand from our pastor and my in-laws who live just about a block from church, there were only a handful of protesters there. The patriot guard riders lined up the one-block street entering our church with their bikes and with people standing holding flags (as you can see above), and when the family came through they revved those bikes so loud you couldn't have heard a jetliner buzzing by overhead.

All in all, this probably isn't the send-off the family would have wanted, but all things considered, I think the PGR were able to minimize or eliminate entirely the hatred from the protesters.

good stuff Knapp. thanks for the update. enjoy your holiday.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:01 pm

I bet these 'protests' have the opposite effect these loons try at. Instead of bringing awareness of their feelings about homosexuality in our country, they simply bring people together, against them. I can't imagine any passer-by giving a thumbs up or a salute of any kind to these idiots.

I hope the service went without interruption and/or distraction and that the family of this brave soldier can find peace.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:21 pm

why did your city allow the protestors to protest so close to the church? i thought cities were allowed to set the location of where they want protests held. sort of a first ammendment loophole.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:51 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:why did your city allow the protestors to protest so close to the church? i thought cities were allowed to set the location of where they want protests held. sort of a first ammendment loophole.

That's a good question that I do not know the answer to. :-?

I can tell you this about Lincoln, NE - it is run by a bunch of people who think it's a town of about 20,000 people, not 250,000. They fail to plan for roads, city growth, proper taxation, infrastructure development, etc. They seem to think it's still the 1940s, and they vehemently resist any change that would bring the town anywhere near the latter half of the 20th Century.

Maybe the protesters didn't have to be so close. I don't know. But I'll pretty much guarantee you that nobody in the City government knows, either. :-/
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:39 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:why did your city allow the protestors to protest so close to the church? i thought cities were allowed to set the location of where they want protests held. sort of a first ammendment loophole.

It's an exception. Government can't censor the content of speech, but it can regulate the time, manner, and place of it. Basically you can say anything you like, but you can't say it at 4am in a residential neighborhood with a bullhorn. And other similar situations.

Why Lincoln gave the permit (if the people went to the trouble of getting one), no idea.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk