Moderator: Football Moderators

BCS Update

Postby killiansjmd » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:46 pm

Michigan remains No. 2 in latest BCS
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This
FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 minutes ago

What sort of effect would Saturday's "Game of the Century" have on the latest BCS standings?

How about none?
For weeks, many have debated over whether or not there could be a rematch of this Big Ten rivalry in the BCS National Championship Game on Jan. 8, 2007. Ohio State may have defeated Michigan 42-39 in Columbus on Saturday in the biggest game of the season, but the one-loss Wolverines remain at No. 2 in the BCS.

The top five in this week's BCS standings looks just like last week's.

Ohio State remains No. 1, with Michigan at No. 2. USC, Florida and Notre Dame round out the top five, with Arkansas jumping a spot to No. 6 after Rutgers' stunning loss in Cincinnati.

West Virginia, Wisconsin, Louisville and LSU round out the top 10.

Michigan currently stands with a BCS average of .926, while No. 3 USC has an average of .918.

Michigan's regular season came to an end with the loss in Columbus, while USC still has two more games remaining.

A lot will be riding on Saturday's showdown at the L.A. Coliseum, where USC will host Notre Dame. USC can improve it's computer ranking and make an impression on the human polls with a big win over Notre Dame. A Notre Dame win only makes a Ohio State-Michigan rematch more likely.

USC's season ends with a game against in-city rival UCLA at the Rose Bowl on Dec. 2.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:50 pm

There should be no rematch. OSU and Michigan are the best two teams in the country, but Michigan had their shot and while I would be happy to be in the NC as a Michigan fan, I would prefer to see USC or Florida.

If Notre Dame is the other option however, Michigan should go.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:09 pm

CC wrote:There should be no rematch. OSU and Michigan are the best two teams in the country, but Michigan had their shot and while I would be happy to be in the NC as a Michigan fan, I would prefer to see USC or Florida.

If Notre Dame is the other option however, Michigan should go.

Agree 65%. :-b I havent seen the human polls yet. I'm assumming the Michigan is 3rd. If USC beats ND then its a done deal. The other 35% of me is starting to become ok with a rematch. I've always been a believer that the whole body of work should be taken into consideration. The computers do that and remove 99% of the bias. (1% of designer bias) :-b
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:39 pm

As a big ten fan, I would love to see a rematch. Whether it is fair or not, there's valid arguments on both sides, but I for one will definitely be rooting for Michigan to stay at #2. It will be fun to watch the next couple weeks to see how they pan out, but I was happy with the rankings.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aldridg6in » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:56 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a Michigan/Ohio State rematch for the National Championship. But, if USC beats Notre Dame I can't argue against a OSU/USC title game. Either way I think the championship game is going to be a lot of fun.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:15 pm

I just looked, Michigan is 2 in the AP poll as well, lucky they don't count that.

I'd like to point out my Lions are #25 now :-D :-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:21 pm

FYI....Whine coming:

Now that I've seen the "human polls" I'm fairly disturbed by the media poll. For the first time since WWII, a regular season loser of #1 v #2 didnt drop to at least #3. I dont know what to think about that. That they think Michigan and OSU are SOoooo much better than anyone else, that a loss shouldnt affect them ranking wise like it does everyone else, or if they think so poorly of the rest of the country's teams. All those NU v. OU battles (twice #1 v. #2, and even a #1 v #3), the media never felt the need to keep the loser one spot below the other. '93 FSU/ND is another example, FSU lost, they fell to #3 behind NU. This completely smells! Furthermore, never again do I want to hear that NU didnt deserve to be in the '01 NC game because they didnt win their conference!! Apparantly, that no longer matters to those that railed against it so vehomently four years ago!

***EDIT cleaned up my post so that its readable. :-b
Last edited by HskrPwr13 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:20 pm

Looks like all USC has to do to get into the title game is to win their game against ND.

I really dont see any other team besides USC or UM that could give OSU a run for their money, besides, maybe the winner of the SEC. Guess ill be rooting for USC next saturday, because i sure dont wont to see a rematch! :-t
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Indys_time » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:48 pm

^^^^ go ND, wohoo, win and then go to the national championship game. Hey it could happen :-D ;-D
Thanks to Joelamosobadiah for another great sig
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Sandrock » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:45 am

Indys_time wrote:^^^^ go ND, wohoo, win and then go to the national championship game. Hey it could happen :-D ;-D

No, it couldn't.

And NU didn't deserve to be in the title game in '01.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to College Football