Who will be the RB trinity next season??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who will be the RB trinity next season???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:17 pm

Stelly wrote:I'm surprised Portis hasn't been mentioned more in this thread.

Mostly because there are a bunch of uncertainties. It will become clearer closer to next draft.

But I think here are a few reasons why I don't rate him top 5:
1. Most likely a new coach next year...that equals uncertainty
2. Green QB in Campbell...uncertainty as well.
3. How will he recover from both injuries? Probably well, but you never know.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deacon » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:57 pm

skinsfan wrote:As if a "RB Trinity" is something we see every season?

It seems to have been a steady in recent years past. Off the top of my head (and I am really guessing)

Last year - LT2, SA, Priest
Year before - LT2, Priest, Marshall Faulk
Year before that - Priest, Faulk, Edge
probably ditto the year before that!

Seems there has been 3 unquestioned top backs in the draft each of the last 4 or 5 years.

Heck I can think back when Emmit, Barry, and Thurmon Thomas were the unquestioned trinity.

Seems it happens more often than you think!
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:50 am

Odds of Frank Gore cracking the top 5... looking good.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:51 pm

deacon wrote:
skinsfan wrote:As if a "RB Trinity" is something we see every season?

It seems to have been a steady in recent years past. Off the top of my head (and I am really guessing)

Last year - LT2, SA, Priest
Year before - LT2, Priest, Marshall Faulk
Year before that - Priest, Faulk, Edge
probably ditto the year before that!

Seems there has been 3 unquestioned top backs in the draft each of the last 4 or 5 years.

Heck I can think back when Emmit, Barry, and Thurmon Thomas were the unquestioned trinity.

Seems it happens more often than you think!
But this year unlike years past it really seemed as there was no CLEAR cut no brainer first pick of every draft everywhere.

Last year LT2 was really by far the favorite with Brees and Gates and that offense really clicking. This year there were questions on how well Rivers would play.

The year before Priest Holmes was easily the no brainer. and Faulk probably the year before that.

This year the first pick was much much tougher than past. Next year? Who knows. I'd say LT2 should easily be the top RB taken though barring injury.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:47 pm

EagleFan68 wrote:
Leber wrote:I'm not too sure that there is going to be a RB trinity next year. LJ has been pretty good this year, LT2 has been spectacular and SA has been hurt. If LT2 finishes up this season well, then he will be the consensus #1 pick next year.

he should have been the consensus #1 this year.

If I had the #1 there is ZERO chance I would take anyone but LT. Last year, this year, next year, probably for a couple years to come

Wow, I'm getting so sick of hearing that. Is LT2 a great running back? Of course. But at the beginning of the year, he just wasn't the clear cut #1. Maybe you thought he was, and I congratulate you on your correct prediction, but there were many reasons to go with any of the top 3 RBs this season... or more accurately, there were many reasons not to go with any one of the top 3 RBs as your #1 pick this year:

LT2: Rivers was basically a rookie QB this year. There was no telling how this was going to play on LT2's value. Plus, LT2 was struggling with an injury at the end of last year. Yeah, people were saying that he would be fine, but how could you be sure that he would be able to get back to himself?

LJ: Had one good season, but who knew if he could repeat. KC had a great offensive line, but is that going to change under a new coach. At the beginning of the year, KC's weakened O-line was already a questionmark.

SA: They lost Hutchinson. But besides that, unless you are superstitious, you had no realistic reason to believe SA wasn't going to be the #1 this year... but football fans are much more superstitious than they let on, so it was definately a factor at the beginning of the year.

My point is that is great that your prediction was correct. Please feel free to get over yourself anytime now.

As far as this question goes, I think it depends on how SA bounces back. If he becomes the lights out RB he was expected to be at the beginning of the year, or even if he shows some signs of heading back in that direction, he becomes one of the elite 3 again next year. Portis and Westbrook are too injuryprone. Jackson could be heading to that level soon, but I think we need another year for that to happen.
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goody » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:07 pm

What if LT is put on the cover of madden next year?

haha....had to throw this out there because people are so caught up on this "madden curse". Personally, I think it is dumb, because many players are hurt each year. McNabb could be put on the madden cover any season and it would be considered the madden curse. Many players get injured over the course of a season so the probability that it is the guy on the madden cover is high. Especially since the player usually had a career year the season before and got worn out.

I thought this would make for interesting discussion.

With that being said, I had LT #1 this season and will have him #1 every season until he shows signs of slowing down or gets injured. He is just TOO GOOD!
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Goody » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:40 pm

Oops, just saw there was a thread on the whole LT on the madden cover thing. Guess I should have looked there first. :*)
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WickedSmaat » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:20 pm

I personally don't think there will be a trinity next year, cause I can guarantee that if I were to have the 3rd pick right now, I would select Peyton. I know this is about the RBs, but why not solidify yourself then go RB/RB with your next picks...
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby firemanx » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:53 pm

Wicked i did that this yr with the #5 pick and got screwed because EDGE and Lamont Jordan have been useless this yr, and surrendered my team useless @ the RB spots. Luckily i grabed Jamal and Chester later on in the draft.
QB- Carson Palmer,
RB - Ronnie Brown, Frank Gore, jERIOUS nORWOOD, Kevin Jones
WR - Anquan, Andre Johnson, Lavernus Coles, Brandon Marshal, Arnaz Battle
TE - Chris Cooley
K - Stephen Gotowski
Def - Jax and Tampa
firemanx
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:01 pm

Well its not gonna be LT2. After the season hes having hes a lock to be on the cover of Madden..... :-b

Frank Gore is going to be a force to be reckoned with.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk