Is a Backup QB Necessary at This Point in the Season? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is a Backup QB Necessary at This Point in the Season?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is a Backup QB Necessary at This Point in the Season?

Postby Retet » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:03 am

I just lost McNabb and will move Romo to starter. But my bench is pretty pretty solid, so I don't want to drop a quality player to those chumps in my league just to pick up a weak back up QB from the waiver wire.

So, do you think it's necessary to have a back up QB at this point in the season?
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby EagleFan68 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:04 am

Depends

In our league you can't make any moves at all once the playoffs start, so you better have at least one back up at each position in case a player gets injured.
[b]QB's [/b] E. MANNING / KITNA / CUTLER
[b]RBs[/b] R BROWN / WESTBROOK (R BUSH / MCGAHEE / L BETTS / D WILLIAMS )
[b]WRs[/b] ROY WILLIAMS / T OWENS / A JOHNSON / BERRIAN
[b]TE[/b] WITTEN / WATSON
[b]K[/b] GRAHAM
[b]DT[/b] PANTHERS
EagleFan68
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Retet » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:05 am

EagleFan68 wrote:Depends

In our league you can't make any moves at all once the playoffs start, so you better have at least one back up at each position in case a player gets injured.

Wow. That's a good point. I'll have to check our league rules.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Humpback » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:11 am

If you post your roster and who's available on the WW, it would be easier. Personally, I'd prefer to have a decent back-up, just in case something happens to Romo. But, if there's no good options, or if there's 5-6 good options, then you can probably wait to see if you need one before dropping a decent player.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Retet » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:29 am

I didn't want this post to be of the "who should I pick up." I just want to know if there are any considerations about carrying only one QB that I should take into account.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:33 am

I think it's a good idea to protect yourself in case your starter gets injured. If you wait until your QB gets hurt then lower ranked teams on the WW can block you from getting the player you need.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:42 am

Yah. The answer really is, "depends." Depends on how many quality (or near-quality) QBs are free agents. Because just because there's only a few weeks left doesn't mean that your QB (in this case, Romo) couldn't get injured and himself go down for the season. So if you feel comfortable with the idea that if he does go down, your options will be fine, then sure, jump without a parachute. But if you feel like it could be a concern, then definitely I would get a backup.

Sorry this isn't more helpful, but it really is situation-specific.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thriftyrocker » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:49 am

A lot of leagues I only carry one QB. No use holding an Alex Smith or JP Losman when there's a Gradkowski or Gerrard on the waivers who can be as good or better depending on matchup.

Other leagues (2QB leagues where I don't have a "stud") I carry 4 or 5 QBs just to make sure I have decent matchups each week.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Retet » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:58 am

thriftyrocker wrote:A lot of leagues I only carry one QB. No use holding an Alex Smith or JP Losman when there's a Gradkowski or Gerrard on the waivers who can be as good or better depending on matchup.

Yeah, this is essentially the position I would be in. And I just don't see the great advantage to having an Alex Smith on my bench instead of on the wire. But, as with most things, I can be short sighted.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BigMusky » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:11 pm

Look at your matchups...I have never had a top flight QB and usually dont start the same guy both weeks of the playoffs. Take into consideration which weeks your playoffs are and the likely hood of your guy sitting one of those weeks (Rex, Peyton). I have Bulger who I dont forsee benching, but keep Favre there because he has a cake schedule down the stretch and could be a good start any of those weeks.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk