Kramer. The man, they myth the racisit? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Kramer. The man, they myth the racisit?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SniperShot » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:19 pm

They had Sinbad on CNN or Foxnews this morning and it was a joke. HE was basically just telling us what we already knew. Should have had Richards on.

This is pretty surprising actually.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:36 pm

stomperrob wrote:
“Once the word comes out of your mouth and you don’t happen to be African-American, then you have a whole lot of explaining,” comedian Paul Rodriguez, who was at the Laugh Factory during Richards’ performance, told CNN. “Freedom of speech has its limitations and I think Michael Richards found those limitations.”

While I think Richards' comments were totally out of line, I also disagree with this whole paragraph. If a word is wrong, it's wrong for everybody, not just for certain races.

And while Rodriguez is right freedom of speech has its limitations, they pertain to libel, slander, public endangerment, etc and not to saying things others might find offensive. Actually protecting the right to say things other people find offensive is basic to the whole concept of freedom of speech.

It would be better to say that speech has consequences, and Richards has found those consequences.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sportsaddict » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:28 pm

Michael Richards is a racist pig. That apology was pathetic. Claims he's not a racist? Not sure how somebody who isn't racist goes on a tirade of that magnitude. He didn't just let the N-word slip- he said it about 10 times. And he didn't stop. Its one thing if he makes one little comment. Its another thing when he does something like this.

I hope he never gets a job again :-t
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sandrock » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:40 pm

I always thought Seinfeld was horribly overrated. But whatever career kramer had left is certainly gone now.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:14 pm

Appearently Seinfeld was pretty pissed about it too.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:06 pm

sportsaddict wrote:Him and Jerry Seinfeld are going on Letterman tonight (and Dan Patrick is going to be on as well). This should be a very interesting show- I'll be watching for sure.

Were they on the show last night? I haven't heard anything. After that I would imagine it would be a good idea to not appear.

As far as the video...if he wasn't washed up already, he will be now... :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:44 pm

I can't imagine someone going on a tirade like that not being a racially insensitive individual. Usually I say people can make a comeback in Hollywood no matter what the situation, but this one will be extremely difficult to come back from. Just sad that in this day and age, someone would even think to say something like that. It's not as if he blurted a word out and then stopped. The man kept going for over two minutes. It's truly shameful.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:47 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I can't imagine someone going on a tirade like that not being a racially insensitive individual. Usually I say people can make a comeback in Hollywood no matter what the situation, but this one will be extremely difficult to come back from. Just sad that in this day and age, someone would even think to say something like that. It's not as if he blurted a word out and then stopped. The man kept going for over two minutes. It's truly shameful.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say we, as an audience, will never look at 'Kramer' the same again. :-t
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Karoz » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:14 pm

Honestly, I don't think he is particularly racist. Now, before you hit the reply button, let me explain.

As Richards was performing his act, a group of guys up on the balcony were talking very loudly while Richards was trying to perform, they were making it difficult for him to do his act, and they were being very rude. This made Richards very angry, but he tried to ignore it.

Then, when a member of that group interrupted Richards and said "My friend doesn't think you are very funny,", that's when he lost it. He was so angry at that individual, that he wanted to insult that individual in the worst way possible. Since that individual happened to be African-American, the worst possible insult would be to call him the N word, and to make fun of his race.

The comments were horribly distasteful, and they should not have been said. However, I do not think that he is a racist person, he was just looking to insult that particular person, in the most hurtful way that he could.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby vitalogist » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:23 pm

well, he just gave everyone what they will remember him for until the end of time, now...
vitalogist
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk