Congressman wants to bring back the draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Congressman wants to bring back the draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby houstonherdfan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:15 pm

I like the Idea, as long as all US citizens service. no college deferments, no special exemptions for politians kids or the like. the ONLY people exempt are the metally handicapped. Even the physically handicapped serve in some form.

also exclude the national guard from this 2 year requirement. National guard, coast guard, and reserves be only for those who have completed their 2 year requirement.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:18 pm

houstonherdfan wrote:I like the Idea, as long as all US citizens service. no college deferments, no special exemptions for politians kids or the like. the ONLY people exempt are the metally handicapped. Even the physically handicapped serve in some form.

also exclude the national guard from this 2 year requirement. National guard, coast guard, and reserves be only for those who have completed their 2 year requirement.

I like what you said except, you can go to college but you then serve your time after you graduate from college. You either go after high school and become enlisted or you get a degree and be commissioned.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby aldridg6in » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:52 pm

The military is not for everybody and I definitely don't think you should be required to serve. Part of being in a free country is choosing what you want to do. If you want to serve you can do it...if not, then you have that option as well. I have absolutely nothing against our armed forces and know quite a few people who have served. I just don't think reinstating the draft is going to help anything.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:52 am

SeaWolf wrote:I know I'm in the minority but I have always thought that serving in the military should be manditory. Most countries make it mantitory, we are one of the few who do not require military service.

Thing is, most of those countries with mandatory military service are in a situation that is very hostile to their country. And those countries are not only threatened by terrorists, but by a hostile country's military force/s who can invade or bomb their country within a matter of minutes. Mainly, I'm talking about countries like S. Korea and Israel who have good reason to have mandatory military service.

I've no real problem with a draft though. Guy in the article is right, if the US reinstituted a draft, the President would be very hesitant to invade another country without adequate reason. But I'm not so sure about mandatory service when the US really doesn't need it. IMO, that would just bloat the military and drop overall readiness and talent level significantly.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:52 am

The draft will be reinstated just after I sprout wings and soar like an eagle.

Don't worry, guys. Not gonna happen.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:11 am

knapplc wrote:The draft will be reinstated just after I sprout wings and soar like an eagle.

Don't worry, guys. Not gonna happen.

Oh I agree.

No you are not going to sprout wings. ;-7

The mantitory military service will never happen. Although I personaly would like to see it happen.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:10 am

aldridg6in wrote:The military is not for everybody and I definitely don't think you should be required to serve. Part of being in a free country is choosing what you want to do. If you want to serve you can do it...if not, then you have that option as well. I have absolutely nothing against our armed forces and know quite a few people who have served. I just don't think reinstating the draft is going to help anything.

I agree. I know for one, that I am not for military
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:38 am

This is all posturing and publicity-seeking by Rangel. He did the same thing last year and ended up voting against his own resolution, which in the end got only three votes. Don't take this seriously.

What is ironic is that in the 2004 election there was a lot of talk about how Bush would bring back the draft, but as it turned out it keeps being brought up by a Democrat.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby josebach » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:09 am

Goatwhacker wrote:This is all posturing

That's what I was getting ready to type, but you took the words right out of my mouth. :-b
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:13 am

Dawinner127 wrote:
aldridg6in wrote:The military is not for everybody and I definitely don't think you should be required to serve. Part of being in a free country is choosing what you want to do. If you want to serve you can do it...if not, then you have that option as well. I have absolutely nothing against our armed forces and know quite a few people who have served. I just don't think reinstating the draft is going to help anything.

I agree. I know for one, that I am not for military

that's what boot camp is for. :-b

I agree with seawolf ;-D

I also agree that this isn't going to happen.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk