Congressman wants to bring back the draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Congressman wants to bring back the draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:36 am

Redskins Win wrote:
Dawinner127 wrote:
aldridg6in wrote:The military is not for everybody and I definitely don't think you should be required to serve. Part of being in a free country is choosing what you want to do. If you want to serve you can do it...if not, then you have that option as well. I have absolutely nothing against our armed forces and know quite a few people who have served. I just don't think reinstating the draft is going to help anything.

I agree. I know for one, that I am not for military


that's what boot camp is for. :-b

I agree with seawolf ;-D

I also agree that this isn't going to happen.


Lol at the boot camp ;-D

Just to clarify, when I said I am not for the military, I meant that I don't think I would be the person you would see there.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6204
(Past Year: 69)
Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Jersey

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:15 am

Dawinner127 wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:
Dawinner127 wrote:
aldridg6in wrote:The military is not for everybody and I definitely don't think you should be required to serve. Part of being in a free country is choosing what you want to do. If you want to serve you can do it...if not, then you have that option as well. I have absolutely nothing against our armed forces and know quite a few people who have served. I just don't think reinstating the draft is going to help anything.

I agree. I know for one, that I am not for military


that's what boot camp is for. :-b

I agree with seawolf ;-D

I also agree that this isn't going to happen.


Lol at the boot camp ;-D

Just to clarify, when I said I am not for the military, I meant that I don't think I would be the person you would see there.


I think it's a valuable resource that's immeasueralbe for life lessons.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8272
Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:27 am

Redskins Win wrote:
Dawinner127 wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:
Dawinner127 wrote:
aldridg6in wrote:The military is not for everybody and I definitely don't think you should be required to serve. Part of being in a free country is choosing what you want to do. If you want to serve you can do it...if not, then you have that option as well. I have absolutely nothing against our armed forces and know quite a few people who have served. I just don't think reinstating the draft is going to help anything.

I agree. I know for one, that I am not for military


that's what boot camp is for. :-b

I agree with seawolf ;-D

I also agree that this isn't going to happen.


Lol at the boot camp ;-D

Just to clarify, when I said I am not for the military, I meant that I don't think I would be the person you would see there.


I think it's a valuable resource that's immeasueralbe for life lessons.


The military is more than just shooting guns. People don't realize that. You get training in a job and you work it. When you are done with your enlistment you are one up on everyone else. They are leaving college with only an education, no on the job experiance.
Image
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4620
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Time to FEED THE BEAST!

Postby josebach » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:34 am

Requiring every person in the country to serve in the military is very unrealistic.... especially for two full years. Any idea what that would do to our defense budget? I don't think there's enough jobs to even go around. The reason why they have mandatory service in other countries is because they have a shortage of people. That's not a problem in the United States.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:45 am

SeaWolf wrote:I know I'm in the minority but I have always thought that serving in the military should be manditory. Most countries make it mantitory, we are one of the few who do not require military service.

There are too many people who take thier freedom for granted. They expect everything but give nothing. To serve in the military for even just 2 years would open the eyes of most people.

I expect a lashing from the Cafe memebers on this, but this is my opinion.


I completely agree...
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:49 am

Dawinner127 wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:Don't know what your father's business is but there are more things in the military than just firing a gun. If it was not for the Air Force I would not be where I am today. IMO 2 years is nothing to live in a free country.

The thing is, my father's business has been a family tradition for the oldest son to take over right after they graduate high school\college. This business has been like this for a good ammount of years (60 something).


So your father didn't go to Vietnam, and your Grandfather didn't serve in WWII or Korea?
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby Flux » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:54 am

There is no realistic way, to all of a sudden, make serving mandatory.
Image
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6113
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:55 am

josebach wrote:Requiring every person in the country to serve in the military is very unrealistic.... especially for two full years. Any idea what that would do to our defense budget? I don't think there's enough jobs to even go around. The reason why they have mandatory service in other countries is because they have a shortage of people. That's not a problem in the United States.


I'm sure there would be exceptions to the rule... For starters, I disagree with mandatory service for women... So, that eliminates about 52% of the eligible population... Then you would have to make exceptions for the disabled... That's another significant chunk of folks...

And, for the record, I think it would actually not have a huge impact on the defense budget... Right now, enlistment bonuses for new recruits are about $20,000 per recruit... Mandatory service would eliminate those... If service were mandatory from the time a person is 18 until they are 20, then we would also greatly reduce the money the military has to spend on caring for soldier's families, as most people do not have dependents when they're 18 years old...
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:57 am

Flux wrote:There is no realistic way, to all of a sudden, make serving mandatory.


It would have to be a phased in policy... It couldn't be something that you applied immediately to everyone who was about to turn 18... You would have to set a date, and say, "Any able bodied male born after this date will be required to serve in the military from their 18th birthday until their 20th birthday."
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby Flux » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:59 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
Flux wrote:There is no realistic way, to all of a sudden, make serving mandatory.


It would have to be a phased in policy... It couldn't be something that you applied immediately to everyone who was about to turn 18... You would have to set a date, and say, "Any able bodied male born after this date will be required to serve in the military from their 18th birthday until their 20th birthday."


I understand the phasing part, but I believe this Congressman wants anyone aged 18-42 to serve 2 years. Thats just a huge influx of people and the logistics and tracking of it all, would be extremely pricey
Image
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6113
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 4:51 hours
(and 44 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact