Marion Barber 3>Julius Jones? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Marion Barber 3>Julius Jones?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TheDiplomats » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:16 am

bklik wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

woodson_28 wrote:
Barber III doesn't have what it takes to be an every down back. He'd be pretty good for the first few games, but he'd wear down. He's just not quick enough. Dallas has one of the worts O-Line and you either have to get past the line quick (like JJ) or plow through the line (like Barber III).

Julius is either busted in the backfield for -1 or -2 yrds, or makes one guy miss and makes a 8 or 10 yrd gain. Barber just runs straight through people. For that reason, Barber would get tired after 7 or 8 games.

The method they have right now works best.

And in my league, J.Jones has more FF points.

TheDiplomats said:
You can't say Barber would get tired after 7-8 games...the guy carried the rock a ton in college. I'd much rather Marion get the full load then JJ..Barber proved what he could do last year when given the opportunity. He's also got a nose for the end-zone could be a fantasy stud..but JJ is in the way.

Actually, Barber was in a RBBC in college with Maroney..and while he still racked up a ton of carries...Minnesota was a run-heavy team...

I would doubt that Barber could handle the load for a full-season...not only would he have to have the same number of carries per game he had in college (for 16 games), but he would also have to spend a lot of energy on passing downs either running routes or blocking (he definitely isn't used to having to carry a full load in terms of blocking, route-running, and and running the ball).

God forbid he was on a run heavy team AND ran the ball 200+ times a season in 03 and 04. And its too bad that players cant learn to run routes or block, because if they could then... wow, he could actually be a full time running back. End sarcasm.

Thank you. I was going to rant on this as well.

"Well, he hasn't been a full time NFL RB before..so he obviously can't be a full time blocker and pass catcher."

What a joke. ;-D
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Humpback » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:55 am

TheDiplomats wrote:
bklik wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

woodson_28 wrote:
Barber III doesn't have what it takes to be an every down back. He'd be pretty good for the first few games, but he'd wear down. He's just not quick enough. Dallas has one of the worts O-Line and you either have to get past the line quick (like JJ) or plow through the line (like Barber III).

Julius is either busted in the backfield for -1 or -2 yrds, or makes one guy miss and makes a 8 or 10 yrd gain. Barber just runs straight through people. For that reason, Barber would get tired after 7 or 8 games.

The method they have right now works best.

And in my league, J.Jones has more FF points.

TheDiplomats said:
You can't say Barber would get tired after 7-8 games...the guy carried the rock a ton in college. I'd much rather Marion get the full load then JJ..Barber proved what he could do last year when given the opportunity. He's also got a nose for the end-zone could be a fantasy stud..but JJ is in the way.

Actually, Barber was in a RBBC in college with Maroney..and while he still racked up a ton of carries...Minnesota was a run-heavy team...

I would doubt that Barber could handle the load for a full-season...not only would he have to have the same number of carries per game he had in college (for 16 games), but he would also have to spend a lot of energy on passing downs either running routes or blocking (he definitely isn't used to having to carry a full load in terms of blocking, route-running, and and running the ball).

God forbid he was on a run heavy team AND ran the ball 200+ times a season in 03 and 04. And its too bad that players cant learn to run routes or block, because if they could then... wow, he could actually be a full time running back. End sarcasm.

Thank you. I was going to rant on this as well.

"Well, he hasn't been a full time NFL RB before..so he obviously can't be a full time blocker and pass catcher."

What a joke. ;-D

I'm assuming this isn't directed at me since I never said he couldn't handle the load, but I'll respond anyway. This argument comes up with players every year. Just because he was in a run-heavy offense in college certainly doesn't mean he can handle the full load in the NFL (just like it doesn't mean he can't handle the full load). But, 200 carries in college is a heck of a lot easier than 300-350 in the NFL, and that's not including the pre-season and post-season. Last time I checked, there was a slight difference between the Big 10 and the NFC East as well in terms of the size, speed, strenght, etc. You can never say a guy can't handle the full load just because he didn't in college, but it'll be a question mark for me until he does at the NFL level.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby thriftyrocker » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:23 pm

Maybe the title of this thread should be Julius Jones <3 Marion Barber because if it wasn't for Barber, he'd already be hurt.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby DC5SB » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:50 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:
DC5SB wrote:JJ is a way better back than Barber, If you look at JJ's past running the ball this guy has stud written all over him. The problem is from his rookie year to now his running style has changed, in a way where he runs more jus threw his blocking but always seems to avoid his past when he improvised a lot, and when he improvised he was VERY successful. I can't remember what article I ride during the off season of I think last year but it said that parcels was going to work with JJ on his running style and change it. JJ is by far the better back and COULD take it to the house every play,but as far as now barber would better...

JJs Past? Has he played more than half a season sense entering the league? Both backs are relatively inexperienced and when given the chance they have shown that they are above average ball carriers.

BUT at this point Barber is the more valueable commidity in all but a few leagues. Barber gets the receptions, the TDs and garbage time. He also is put in whenever they are near their own goaline. Parcells just trusts Barber more at this point. I dont expect this RBBC to change unless an injury occurs. If it aint broke why would Parcells fix it?

I think you got me mixed up, i must of worded myself wrong. I 100% agree with you, it is exactly what I was trying to say. Except for the fact that I forgot that we were talking fantasy. I think Barber3 is the better fantasy back du e to getting TDS at goal line, but I believe JJ is a better NFL back to have on your team. I think JJ has a higher ceiling them Barber3 in how they can grow as a player. We saw flashes of his greatness. What I'm saying is JJ is a different back then he was. They spent time trying to change his running style, but I believe his running style before was better than it is now. and yes it is true, if it ain't broke don't fix it cuz Dallas' runnning game is great right now.
DC5SB
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 51)

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:11 pm

Whenever I watch Barber I come away impressed. I would really like to see what happens if he got the full-time role because he just gets it done when he is in the game. It seems like Barber is almost never stopped on any short yardage situation, including the goalline. But is that because he is fresh? Because he's coming in late in games and is a change up runner compared Julius' running style?

First down, I want Julius in there for the explosiveness, but then again, who's to say that Barber can't excel in that role as well. Barber to me is more of a workhorse, and Julius is more of a homerun hitter. Personally, I think you're looking at a top5 RB if Julius were to go down and Barber steps into a 20+ carry role. Julius can be a top5 guy like we saw at the end of 2004, but I have real doubts as to whether or not he can sustain that pace.
---

Bottomline is that there is RBBC to perfection in Dallas right now. Both of these guys make a decent RB#2 start every single week. Reminds me very much of what Denver did in 2005 with Anderson/Tatum. Except the roles are reversed (Barber/Anderson, Julius/Tatum)
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby ArchangelsOwner » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:24 pm

Was hoping to get an answer to a question about starting Barber this week. I used to have JJones as a keeper, but didn't keep him this past year.....and I have MB3 this season, playing him many weeks. But, since Dallas is doing the RBBC, do I start him over a full-time starter like Travis Henry this week? I picked up Henry last week and put him in instead of MB3. Their fantasy numbers were similar, with Henry doing a little better because of the yards he rushed for (whereas Marion only had 35 yds, but 2 tds instead of Travis's 1). I had this question posted in Who to Start/Bench - and in the three responses I got, Henry was the pick (2-1) because of the fact he's the workhouse for the Titans. Do I go with MB3, or stick with THenry who's playing really good right now and is going against the Giants? Thanks for any help.
ArchangelsOwner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Pete123444 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:42 pm

ArchangelsOwner wrote:Was hoping to get an answer to a question about starting Barber this week. I used to have JJones as a keeper, but didn't keep him this past year.....and I have MB3 this season, playing him many weeks. But, since Dallas is doing the RBBC, do I start him over a full-time starter like Travis Henry this week? I picked up Henry last week and put him in instead of MB3. Their fantasy numbers were similar, with Henry doing a little better because of the yards he rushed for (whereas Marion only had 35 yds, but 2 tds instead of Travis's 1). I had this question posted in Who to Start/Bench - and in the three responses I got, Henry was the pick (2-1) because of the fact he's the workhouse for the Titans. Do I go with MB3, or stick with THenry who's playing really good right now and is going against the Giants? Thanks for any help.

I'd use Barber in 12 and 15. Henry in 13 and 14, and in week 16 you can use whomever his hotter by then because both have fairly decent matchups in 16.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby ArchangelsOwner » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:16 am

Thanks for the response, Pete123444 - it's hard to pass up on MB3 when he's playing on Turkey Day (and so high in the touchdown department)!! Go Dallas (I also have TO in). Happy Thanksgiving all!
ArchangelsOwner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:47 am

i would go with barber- he has been real good this year, and u gotta go where the stats have been all year.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

wow

Postby DbacksAllTheWay » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:07 pm

Marion Barber 3 continues to produce. Today, he had 83 yards on the ground and 2 TD's in the air. It's great to see him doing this. Does anyone think he is a sell high in the last week before my trade deadline?
DbacksAllTheWay
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk