The next Madden coverboy will be.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The next Madden coverboy will be....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:17 am

stomperrob wrote:Just to be safe, put Art Shell or Dennis Green on the cover - someone whose career couldn't possibly get any worse just in case the curse is real!
;-) :-D

EA has a different football game for coaching or something and Cowher was this year's coverboy, so it's unlikely we'll see coaches on the cover of Madden.

And whoever said Tiki will likely be wrong too since Madden wants us to cough up $50 immediately before the new season for basically the same game with one new, almost useless feature every year and they wouldn't want their coverboy to be a retired player.

I agree though, that the next Madden will have something new for WRs and put either TO or Ocho Cinco on the cover. Dark horse candidate would be Colston, lol.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazing Oopah » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:29 am

LT is so good he will overcome the Madden Curse ;-D
Amazing Oopah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:31 am

Amazing Oopah wrote:LT is so good he will overcome the Madden Curse ;-D

Or maybe he'll just score 2 TDs a week instead of 3-4. :-P
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BigMusky » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:38 am

I was just talking to my brother about this. I have had LdT three straight seasons in my money league, but I would probably trade him immediately if he landed on the cover.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:45 am

The old Maddens used to have Historic Teams... I wish the new maddens would let you play:

1) any roster of any season for your favorate team
2) All time best players for a given team (e.g. Eagles of All time)

And have actual names... I think they didn't have the rights in the past to used retired player names.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:17 am

Cover should be Ocho Cinco.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:35 am

Smee wrote:or getting baked and watching the wizard of oz with dark side of the moon playing simultaneously.

you do know you start it when it becomes colorized and of course it doesn't work if you watch on TBS or some corporate channel.

as for LT on the cover, probably not gonna happen. tony romo anyone?
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:38 am

from wikepedia

Prior to 2000, all of the Madden NFL game box covers prominently featured John Madden only. When EA started to have NFL players on the cover of the Madden NFL games, some later (half-jokingly) speculated that there was a "Madden curse", a coincidental series of misfortunes that befell the product's cover-athletes.

In the 2002 edition of the game, Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper appeared on the cover, and suffered an injury plagued year. People started noticing a pattern with St. Louis Rams running back Marshall Faulk, who appeared on the 2003 edition cover of Madden, witnessed a sharp statistical decline the following year. The next year, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was injured during the 2003 preseason after posing for the cover of Madden 2004. Vick suffered a broken fibula the day after Madden 2004 was released to retailers. The injury resulted in a 5-11 year for Vick's team. Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis broke his wrist and failed to record a single interception the season after he appeared on the cover of Madden 2005. Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb suffered two injuries during the 2005 NFL season, and the Eagles finished in last place after he posed on the cover of Madden 2006. Then Shaun Alexander suffered a broken foot and was out for more than three weeks after being on the cover of Madden 2007.

EA officials point out that retired halfback Eddie George appeared on the cover of the 2001 version, and had a successful season without injury. Although he had the best year of his career, rushing for 1,509 yards, catching 50 passes for 453 yards and scoring 16 total touchdowns, he bobbled a pass in the playoffs that was then intercepted, ironically, by Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, a future cover athlete, who returned the ball for a touchdown. George was never quite the same runningback after that point. George, (up until then) known for his durability, would also get injured the following season. After regularly averaging nearly 4 yards per carry in his first five seasons and rushing for over 1,300 yards in each one, he averaged only 3 yards per carry and rushed for career lows of 939 yards and 5 touchdowns in the 2001 season. For the rest of his career, he never averaged more than 3.5 yards per carry, but did rush for over 1,000 yards twice and scored 14 touchdowns in 2002. Seattle Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander is now also on the cover and had an injury. Alexander's 2006 season was about average until week three, when he fractured a bone in his left foot. On October 16, 2006, head coach Mike Holmgren said that Alexander would be out for at least two more weeks.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skinsfan » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:38 am

No, I don't think they'll put a RB on for consecutive years. I'd expect Peyton or maybe a Chad Johnson type.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:49 pm

My vote goes to Haynesworth. Maybe they can have a pic stomping on the guy's head. :-b
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk