Thanksgiving Day Games - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thanksgiving Day Games

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thanksgiving Day Games

Postby woodson_28 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:32 am

After watching "Cold Pizza" today and hearing Skip Bayless complain about how it's "unfair" for Detriot and Dallas to always get the Thanksgiving day game, this made me wonder.

Why is it that Dallas and Detriot always get the T-day game? I'm not complaining, cuz I am a cowboys fan, and watching the game has become a tradition in my family, but I was just curious about how it came to be those 2 teams.

I've heard a few different reasons why, just curious if what I have heard is the truth or not.

Thanx.
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:45 am

When they started having Thanksgiving games, the Cowboys and Lions volunteered to be the ones that played them. Since then it's just been tradition....i'm not sure if there is a legal side to it, but i'm pretty sure they chose to be teams that always played on thanksgiving.

It just makes it harder to set lineups because of the early games....but eating a ton of food + watching football is always a great combination ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:48 am

JasonSeahorn wrote:When they started having Thanksgiving games, the Cowboys and Lions volunteered to be the ones that played them. Since then it's just been tradition....i'm not sure if there is a legal side to it, but i'm pretty sure they chose to be teams that always played on thanksgiving.

It just makes it harder to set lineups because of the early games....but eating a ton of food + watching football is always a great combination ;-D

Starting this wekend for the rest of the season there will be a Thursday game, and yes that sucks for trying to set your lineups.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CeeLoGreen » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:07 am

That is the reason the Thanksgiving Night Game was given. It will rotate teams from year to year. The Chiefs play first becasue Lamar Hunt cried foul to the league and this was his consolation prize.
CeeLoGreen
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby pangbones » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:09 am

SeaWolf wrote:Starting this wekend for the rest of the season there will be a Thursday game, and yes that sucks for trying to set your lineups.

Except for week 17. There is only a Saturday game.

It's been a tradition for a long time for those 2 teams to play on Turkey day. I do understand why other teams would want to play them though. But it does suck for fantasy.
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:55 am

Detriot is the worst game to watch... every year... same old boring stuff. Just aweful. :-t

Seriously, I think the NFL should flex Thanksgiving... give us some good matchups for once (for a national audience).

At least I have some Cowboy players on my FF squad, but otherwise... the Cowboys haven't been too much better in recent years.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:00 am

I agree with flex scheduling for it, or at least scheduling someone besides Detroit - they've been boring us for so many years with the Lions - when was the last time the Lions even had a winning record? Seems like forever ago.

I mean, think about how awesome it would be to see, for example, the Bears and Patriots game on Thanksgiving instead of the Lions again.
BillyHallDisciple
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:29 am

pangbones wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:Starting this wekend for the rest of the season there will be a Thursday game, and yes that sucks for trying to set your lineups.

Except for week 17. There is only a Saturday game.

It's been a tradition for a long time for those 2 teams to play on Turkey day. I do understand why other teams would want to play them though. But it does suck for fantasy.

Isn't all the NFL network games going to be on Thursdays? If not then I was misinformed.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:05 am

SeaWolf wrote:Isn't all the NFL network games going to be on Thursdays? If not then I was misinformed.

Yea. But since NFL Network games are new this year, they just tacked onto this year's Thanksgiving games, so there's an extra one this Thursday. At least for people who have NFL Network, that is.

NFL Network also has the best matchup on Thursday too. Sneaky bastards, trying to get us to call our cable company and complain about it.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:16 am

I hope the NFL Network goes under like ESPN Mobile.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk