Thanksgiving Day Games - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thanksgiving Day Games

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SniperShot » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:55 pm

That Denver Broncos 24, DALLAS COWBOYS 21 (OT) game last year on Turkey day was one of the better games of the year by far.

This year... pretty crappy. I always say that but when Turkey day rolls around I'm always happy for football on Thursday.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:54 pm

Matthias wrote:
BillyHallDisciple wrote:I agree with flex scheduling for it, or at least scheduling someone besides Detroit - they've been boring us for so many years with the Lions - when was the last time the Lions even had a winning record? Seems like forever ago.

I mean, think about how awesome it would be to see, for example, the Bears and Patriots game on Thanksgiving instead of the Lions again.

I dunno. I like tradition. And even though Detroit has been bad, I like the year-to-year consistency.

;-D

Detroit may be unbearable to watch at times, but would it be Thanksgiving without them?

BrutallyHuge wrote:I hope the NFL Network goes under like ESPN Mobile.

Are all the games only on NFL Network? We don't have NFL Network and, to my knowledge, neither do my relatives. :,-(
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby sportsaddict » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:31 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Matthias wrote:
BillyHallDisciple wrote:I agree with flex scheduling for it, or at least scheduling someone besides Detroit - they've been boring us for so many years with the Lions - when was the last time the Lions even had a winning record? Seems like forever ago.

I mean, think about how awesome it would be to see, for example, the Bears and Patriots game on Thanksgiving instead of the Lions again.

I dunno. I like tradition. And even though Detroit has been bad, I like the year-to-year consistency.

;-D

Detroit may be unbearable to watch at times, but would it be Thanksgiving without them?

BrutallyHuge wrote:I hope the NFL Network goes under like ESPN Mobile.

Are all the games only on NFL Network? We don't have NFL Network and, to my knowledge, neither do my relatives. :,-(

The two day games are on regular cable (FOX and CBS), but the Denver KC game at night is on NFL Network, which just happens to be the best matchup by far. I also don't know anyone with NFL Network so I won't be watching that one.
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jimboozie » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:46 am

I love the NFL Thanksgiving tradition of Detroit and Dallas.

I get to watch my hometeam play early, and laugh at all my relatives when they lose.

Then, I get to watch MY team afterwards.

Sweet potatoes!

;-D ;-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:51 am

I cannot imagine a Thanksgiving without the Lions playing. There is something to be said about tradition. As for the Lions putting out turkey's of a game, it wasn't always that way. There have been times when this sorry franchise has been competitive and enjoyable to watch.

Since Millen the destroyer has taken control of the team we've been forced to witness some of the worse football in the history of the league. No team has gone through a worse stretch than the Detroit Millens. 23-67 and playing worse football now as when Millen first put his stamp on them. If it weren't for the NFL's amazing TV contract and fan appeal the Lions would lose this game for putting such puke on the field.

Give Millen a few more years and the Lions could lose this game.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby John Bonzo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:18 pm

You can't mess with a tradition thats been going on since the 30's (Det)!

And for the Cowboys, there is always some drama or something exciting and interesting going on in the franchise that is interesting for the whole country (even if it is just rooting against them). They are an obvious choice for an annual thanksgiving game...the NFL just needs to pick a more interesting opponent than TB for them to play.

Are they for sure making the night game a flex game ever year? Didn't KC always play on thanksgiving when they were in the AFL (which is why I assumed they were picked in the night game)?
John Bonzo
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby spodog » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:47 pm

John Bonzo wrote:Didn't KC always play on thanksgiving when they were in the AFL (which is why I assumed they were picked in the night game)?

No.

KC Owner Lamar Hunt has been badgering the NFL to allow his Chiefs to play a game on Thanksgiving Day for at least 15 years or more.

The NFL, with the advent of the NFL Network, saw an opportunity to grant this request before Hunt dies, and score $'s off of it with the debut of the NFL Network.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RJ24VC15 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:16 pm

The thanksgiving games always suck.

They should have like a Cowboys/Giants game.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:07 am

RJ24VC15 wrote:The thanksgiving games always suck.

They should have like a Cowboys/Giants game.

Tampa Bay was supposed to be good this year. They won their division last year, so schedule makers figured this would be a marquee matchup.

As for the Fins, many people were picking them to win the AFC title. Again, looked good when the schedules came out.

:-/
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby footballchick23 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:36 am

I think there's going to be a huge viewing audience loss on that 3rd game. In San Diego, Cox Cable is the only cable network to carry it and Time Warner took it off it's channel lineup a few months ago. Thank goodness my parents live in the area serviced solely by Cox Communications since we only get Time Warner. I just don't think it's fair that a majority of families that don't have Direct TV or select cable companies don't get to see this game. Lame.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk