Make the parents pay - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Make the parents pay

Moderator: Football Moderators

Make the parents pay

Postby stomperrob » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:11 am

Intersting concept - in one of the suburbs of Detroit, they've decided to pass a law making parents responsible for their kids behavior and will charge the parents when the kids are caught breaking the law. In one sense it's good because too many parents just don't give a damn what their kids are up to, but on the other hand, sometimes no matter how hard you try, your kids just end up going against your wishes, even if only for a short rebellious period. The story in today's Detroit Free Press:

Published: November 21. 2006 3:00AM
Oakland County
Parents to pay for kids' misbehavior
Ticket rule in Royal Oak to start Nov. 30

November 21, 2006

BY FRANK WITSIL
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
After busting too many kids who are drinking, using drugs or are out late causing trouble, Royal Oak Police Lt. John Kowalski said it's time to make parents accountable, too.

"Parents don't get that they are responsible for their children's behavior also," he said. "A lot of parents don't adequately supervise their children."

That is why the Royal Oak City Commission unanimously passed an ordinance that gives Kowalski and other police officers the power to ticket parents whose children misbehave. The ordinance goes into effect Nov. 30.

"A lot of times the parents say, 'That's my kid. I can't control him.' " Kowalski said. "This gives us a tool that we can use."

Jeff Hewson, 43, of Royal Oak has four children ages 9 to 11. He said he supports the ordinance.

"It gives the courts leverage to hold parents accountable for the actions of their children," he said.

The ordinance makes it a civil infraction for parents who are found to have failed to prevent their children -- up to age 17 -- from doing something wrong. It is modeled after similar ordinances in other suburbs -- including Southfield, St. Clair Shores and Redford Township -- and is aimed at trying to help curb teen drug use.

The ordinance also allows police to ticket parents whose children are arrested in connection with possession of drugs and other serious crimes.

Parents can be penalized $100 for the first offense, $250 for a second offense and $500 for a third offense.

"It would cover anything from skipping school to being out past curfew," said Royal Oak City Attorney David Gillam.

Curfew for children 16 and younger is 10:30 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Earlier this year, Royal Oak residents organized Save Our Youth Task Force in an attempt to curb teen drug use in the city, and held high-profile meetings.

At one meeting in July, Royal Oak Fire Chief Wil White Jr. reported there had been 66 drug overdoses in the city since Jan. 1, including six fatalities.

At the same meeting, parents of a Royal Oak teen who died from a heroin overdose made a plea to other parents to keep close tabs on their kids.

Contact FRANK WITSIL at 248-351-3690 or mailto:witsil@freepress.com.

Your opinion???
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:14 am

When I run for president this will be a plank in my platform. It's high time parents took responsibility for their kids. If you can't be responsible, we'll make you pay the penalty.

Sounds like a good law to me. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:19 am

knapplc wrote:When I run for president this will be a plank in my platform. It's high time parents took responsibility for their kids. If you can't be responsible, we'll make you pay the penalty.

Sounds like a good law to me. ;-D

I agree. Oh and knapp congratz on the mug. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:21 am

Judge Joe Brown makes parents accountable for the kids actions when there is prof that the parents were neglegent on supervision or being a bad parent to begin with. those are small claims civil suits however.

ticketing a parent for a kids indescretion, smoking drinking, etc (acting like a kid) is kinda stoopid. unless there is repeat behavior, i guess.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:29 am

Kids will be kids. Let them grow up and learn from their mistakes.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:31 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:Kids will be kids. Let them grow up and learn from their mistakes.

I agree with this to an extent. Parents have a lot to do with thier childrens behavior. No supervision from an parent can make things even worse.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby josebach » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:40 am

As long as there are no criminal charges brought on the parents and just a monetary fine, I think it's a great idea.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:39 pm

josebach wrote:As long as there are no criminal charges brought on the parents and just mandatory sterilization to prevent further offspring, I think it's a great idea.

I agree with your corrected quote JB
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:33 pm

lmcjaho wrote:
josebach wrote:As long as there are no criminal charges brought on the parents and just mandatory sterilization to prevent further offspring, I think it's a great idea.

I agree with your corrected quote JB

There are definitely some people in this world who shouldn't be allowed to reproduce and raise children!
My 3 year old son started pre-school this year and goes 2 half-days per week. I've spent 2 half-days there assisting the teachers and it's an eye-opener - in a class of about 12 kids there are 2 with fetal alcohol syndrome, one very severe - these poor kids don't stand a chance and are serving a "life sentence" for their mother's stupidity and selfishness - those kids will probably have behavioral issues in their teen years. Of the other "normal" kids, it's obvious a lot of parents don't teach them how to behave and interact with others, share, be polite, etc.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:03 pm

They already ticket parents for certain things here (out past curfew, destruction of property, etc.), and I agree with it. ;-D

It's been long overdue for parents to start doing their jobs as parents. ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk