Can you play defense in Fantasy Football? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Can you play defense in Fantasy Football?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Pete123444 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:51 pm

I admit I haven't read everything here in it's entirety. But, I think you should check out gamedayritual.com. THey have defensive players, offensive lines, every position of course, kick returners, punters, you build your own stadium, weather modifiers, blitzing packages, offensive playbooks, defensive playbooks, RB's that get tired over the course of a season, and probably more that I can think of right now. You get bonuses based on the percentage that your defensive playbook matches your opponents offensive playbook! You can build a dome and play a majority of run and shoot offense. Or play in a cold rainy outdoor place and RUN,RUN, RUN. Or any combination in between.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby EagleFan68 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:27 pm

Nice additions to the idea Plinds and everyone else, as I said it is something I was just throwing out there as a work in progress.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I think the key factor in this is to make where both teams negative points do not automatically cancel each other out

Like an automatic - 24 for each team a week.

The key is for the negative points be used startegically each week.

I think with a few suggestions this idea can be perfected to the point that we can experiment next year
[b]QB's [/b] E. MANNING / KITNA / CUTLER
[b]RBs[/b] R BROWN / WESTBROOK (R BUSH / MCGAHEE / L BETTS / D WILLIAMS )
[b]WRs[/b] ROY WILLIAMS / T OWENS / A JOHNSON / BERRIAN
[b]TE[/b] WITTEN / WATSON
[b]K[/b] GRAHAM
[b]DT[/b] PANTHERS
EagleFan68
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Infidel » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:31 pm

I have a headache after reading this thread.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:35 pm

I like the idea, but now I have to go find the advil and take some because I have a huge headache after reading all this. My head is like spinning... lol
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby EagleFan68 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:25 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:I like the idea, but now I have to go find the advil and take some because I have a huge headache after reading all this. My head is like spinning... lol

Short version

You get to take away a certain amount of points from your opponent weekly

You can assign these negative points to up to 3 players or just use all of them on one
[b]QB's [/b] E. MANNING / KITNA / CUTLER
[b]RBs[/b] R BROWN / WESTBROOK (R BUSH / MCGAHEE / L BETTS / D WILLIAMS )
[b]WRs[/b] ROY WILLIAMS / T OWENS / A JOHNSON / BERRIAN
[b]TE[/b] WITTEN / WATSON
[b]K[/b] GRAHAM
[b]DT[/b] PANTHERS
EagleFan68
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: CAN YOU PLAY DEFENSE IN FANTASY FOOTBALL ?

Postby biju » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:44 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:...tons of awesome ideas...

I love that idea but how about instead of having a stockpile of defensive points to use, you have to *buy* them for a certain price of your own offensive production. That way not only can you screw yourself by choosing an offensive player incorrectly but if they bench them you have that work against you. It allows people to use as much defensive strategy as they would like to but you need to be careful not to overdo it in fear they bench that player.

For example, removing a TD from LT (normally 6 pts) would cost 2 pts of your own with a total net gain of 4 points. Of course, if LT doesn't score you lost 2 points. Same could go for yardage where each 20 yards of their offensive production costs you 1 point.

Anyway, just an idea...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:22 am

Here's an idea... Not so much along the lines of deduction points, but back to the idea of modifiers...

After the draft, you allow all owners to run 10 "days" of training camp... This isn't an actual 10 days, but it allows owners to spend 10 points of training adding modifiers to their own players... You have to decide how to spend your days to maximize your team's effectiveness, based on the players you drafted... A rough outline could be as follows:

1 day training for each of these positions earns you the following modifiers:

QB:

You can spend 1 days training on all QB's and increase all of their stats by 20%.

You can spend 1 days training on a single QB and increase his stats by 50%.

RB:

You can spend 1 day training on all RB's and increase all of their stats by 10%.

You can spend 1 day training on a single RB and increase his stats by 20%.

WR:

You can spend 1 day training on all WR's and increase all of their stats by 10%.

You can spend 1 day training on a single WR and increase his stats by 30%.

TE:

You can spend 1 day training on all TE's and increase all of their stats by 30%.

You can spend 1 day training on a single TE and increase his stats by 50%.

K:

You can spend 1 day training on all K's and increase all of their stats by 50%.

You can spend 1 day training on a single K and increase his stats by 75%.

DEF:

You can spend 1 day training your D and increase its stats by 60%.

OL:

You can spend 1 day training your OL and increase the stats of all QB's, RB's, WR's, and TE's by 2%.

Now, the thing is, if you train individual offensive positions, the training only applies to the players currently on your roster or the specific player you train... If one of those players becomes injured or you drop them, their modifier is non-transferable... You simply lose the training modifier... However, if you spend your days on training the OL, the modifiers extend to any new players that you pick up...

So, for example, let's say my team looks like this after the draft:

QB: Palmer, Delhomme
RB: Alexander, Parker, Gore, Benson, Norwood
WR: D-Jax, Stallworth, McCardell, Burleson, S. Holmes
TE: LJ Smith
K: Reed
DEF: Carolina

I could choose to spend my training points as follows:

Palmer (1 day)

Alexander (1 day)
Parker (1 day)
Gore (1 day)
RB's (1 day)

D-Jax (1 day)
Stallworth (1 day)
WR's (1 day)

OL (2 days)

The total modifiers applied to my line-up would be:

Palmer (+54%)
Delhomme (+4%)

Alexander (+34%)
Parker (+34%)
Gore (+34%)
Benson (+14%)
Norwood (+14%)

D-Jax (+44%)
Stallworth (+44%)
McCardell (+14%)
Burleson (+14%)
S. Holmes (+14%)

LJ Smith (+4%)

Reed

Carolina

However, because I only chose to spend 2 days training the O-line, any new QB's, RB's, WR's, and TE's I add to my roster only get a +4% modifier...

Make sense?

Just a thought....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:01 am

training camp idea is kind of fun...but it would add even more luck to the game and would also devalue key waiver wire pickups like Colston. Would emphasize the preseason prep, which is cool...but I make my money during season so I veto that idea :)

How about this for a defensive modifier....you earn points based on big plays! 50 yard plays on offensive can be thought of a as a big turnover or sack for your D and then you get points. So you need to have a balance of Big Play guys on your team even though they might not score as they Keyshawns of the world.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bklik » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:46 am

Plindsey, I am loving the idea of the bench from the previous week effecting the ability to play defense the following week. One could "take it easy" during a soft matchup in preparation for a tough upcoming matchup.

Training camp would also be awesome, but imagine the LT/Peyton owner training their respective superstar for 10 days. With the stability of Peyton, the remainder of the team wouldnt even matter.
TEAM A
LEINART, farve
HOUSH, ROY WILLIAMS, DRIVER, hackett, bennett, marshal
RUDI, BUSH, JORDAN, green
HEAP

TEAM B
PEYTON
WAYNE, BOLDIN, MARSHALL, gonzalez, marshall
PARKER, GREEN, chester, betts
WINSLOW
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:04 pm

bklik wrote:Plindsey, I am loving the idea of the bench from the previous week effecting the ability to play defense the following week. One could "take it easy" during a soft matchup in preparation for a tough upcoming matchup.

Training camp would also be awesome, but imagine the LT/Peyton owner training their respective superstar for 10 days. With the stability of Peyton, the remainder of the team wouldnt even matter.

Yeah, you would have to refine the numbers some... My example above was just something I threw out on the fly... You'd have to think it through, and perhaps limit the number of days you could spend training any one position....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk