Gators vs 'Noles - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Gators vs 'Noles

Moderator: Football Moderators

Gators vs 'Noles

Postby stomperrob » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:02 pm

Seems like a no-brainer, but then there's been some strange ones this year. Any predicitons???
BTW - love this Florida shirt I found:

Front:

Back:
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:57 am

:-b

This game is tough, I'd rather see Florida win, but I want a rematch, so I have to kind of vote for FSU !+)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Luca Brasi » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:19 am

I think FSU knows they're outmatched, so they're just going to want to go in there and do maximum damage to the Gators so they are as beat up as possible for the SEC title game.

(Colorado has publicly declared this strategy against Nebraska this week)

"Why is a Fighting Illini considered politically incorrect, but not a Fighting Irish?"
Luca Brasi
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 10)

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:07 pm

There was a good article in yesturday's Gainesville Sun comparing the 2004 UF-FSU game to this year's. The Gators had a lame duck coach (Zook then, Jeff Bowden now) and essentially had nothing to lose. They had 4 losses at that point in the season (Noles have 5 at this point) and really weren't expected to hang with the Noles who had only 2 close loses at that point in the season (The Gators have one close loss). You can never just write a team off in these rivalry games. I heard yesturday about some trash talking going on between the guys that goes back to the US Army All-American game, the guys on these teams know each other and want to beat each other. No matter how down FSU is, they will always play UF tough. I expect this year's game to be much closer than last year with UF pulling it out. I hope so as I'll be there in Nole Country.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:48 pm

The real X-factor here is that Shoey and I will be at the game, and we have an awful road record.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby HskrPwr13 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:10 pm

Really have nothing against the Gators since Spurrier's been gone, but I wouldnt mind seeing Meyer getting his playoff pie hole stuffed. Although he has to coach in such a tough conference and all. ;-)

Thats a great T-shrit above. I'd like to see one with NU on the front and CU or KSU on the back.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Florida does have some cool T-shirts
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:10 pm

From CBS today:

No. 4 Gators ready to tackle another big rivalry game
Nov. 22, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Urban Meyer refers to Florida State as the "school out west" or simply uses the tomahawk chop when talking about the in-state rival.

It might seem trivial, but it means a lot to his players.

"When it comes to our rivals, he just gets us pumped up," offensive tackle Phil Trautwein said. "He has a lot of emotion for that. That fires us up and gets us ready to play hard."

Meyer's motivational tactics have proven to be successful in rivalry games. The fourth-ranked Gators (10-1) are 5-0 against their three rivals -- Tennessee, Georgia and Florida State -- the last two seasons under Meyer.

They can improve to 6-0 and make history Saturday against the Seminoles (6-5) in Tallahassee, because no Florida team ever has beaten all three opponents in consecutive seasons.

"It's big for us, man. It's big," linebacker Brandon Siler said. "Right now, we really feel like our time was the time that turned the program back around, and it feels good. It's a relief from kind of not living up to expectations to now living up to them.

"You can walk around campus with your chest held a little higher. You can look at people. They know that you're a Gator football player, and it means a lot. So it's real big."

Meyer has emphasized rivalry games since his arrival.

He created the "Gator Experience," where former players from Florida's championship teams return and address players on the field or in team meetings. He asks each former player to talk about one of Florida's three rivals, then shows a 15-minute highlight tape of previous games.

Linebacker James Bates, running back Errict Rhett, offensive lineman Donnie Young and NFL Hall of Fame defensive lineman Jack Youngblood are among the former players who have shared their experiences with the team.

"One of the unique characteristics of this job is you have some great rivalries," Meyer said. "A lot of schools have one, some have none. We have three terrific ones."

Former coach Steve Spurrier always said Georgia was Florida's biggest rival, mostly because the Bulldogs prevented the Gators from winning numerous Southeastern Conference championships over the years. Although Meyer agrees beating Tennessee and Georgia is key, he believes defeating the Seminoles means more in the state.

"I think it's big for recruiting," Meyer said. "Obviously, it keeps the Gator Nation somewhat happy. I think it is very important. I think in this state probably more than any other. Notre Dame-USC I don't think is a big recruiting war. Ohio State-Michigan is. I imagine Alabama-Auburn is a lot like that for the in-state kid. For the in-state player, this is a tremendously big game."

The Gators beat Florida State 20-13 in Tallahassee in 2004, winning there for the first time since 1986. They made it two in a row last year with a 34-7 victory in Gainesville. It gave Florida its first sweep against Tennessee, Georgia and Florida State since 1995.

Florida has kept the streak going this season, edging the Volunteers 21-20 in September and knocking off the Bulldogs 21-14 six weeks later. Can the Gators make it six in a row, with a win against that "school out west"?

Meyer isn't trying to be disrespectful by not referring to Florida State by name.

"I think that's another way to make young people appreciate a rivalry. It's just part of the deal," he said. "I think our players enjoy it. In the era I grew up in, you never said the other word. It's just something we do. No disrespect."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:27 pm

Jeez - how can a program like Florida not have a kicker???
stomperrob

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm

No holding on that play?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to College Football