Medal of Honor awarded - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Medal of Honor awarded

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby stomperrob » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:48 pm

Azrael wrote:Those guys are real heroes. Would be nice to see someone get a CMOH while they are still alive though.

Not surprisingly, many receive the award because they made the ultimate sacrifice and because of their actions at the time of their death. However many do receive it while alive - there are 111 living Medal of Honor winners at this time - 36 from WWII, 15 from Korea and 60 from Vietnam.
In the history of the award, which started in 1861 during the Civil War, there have been 3,400 Medal of Honors awarded. Amazingly, there have been 19 men who have been awarded 2 Medal of Honors.

For more info see: http://www.cmohs.org/medal.htm
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:30 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Azrael wrote:Those guys are real heroes. Would be nice to see someone get a CMOH while they are still alive though.

Not surprisingly, many receive the award because they made the ultimate sacrifice and because of their actions at the time of their death. However many do receive it while alive - there are 111 living Medal of Honor winners at this time - 36 from WWII, 15 from Korea and 60 from Vietnam.
In the history of the award, which started in 1861 during the Civil War, there have been 3,400 Medal of Honors awarded. Amazingly, there have been 19 men who have been awarded 2 Medal of Honors.

Are any of those 19 still alive?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stomperrob » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:43 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

Are any of those 19 still alive?

No, they were all WWI and earlier conflicts.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:53 pm

Another point of interest - on the website above, it states the medal is called either the Medal of Honor or the Congressional Medal of Honor. However, a couple of years ago I was watching a show on the History Channel where they were profiling living Medal of Honor winners and interviewing them - they asked one Vietnam vet about his Congressional Medal of Honor and he became visably upset with the interviewer and angrily stated: "This is not a Congressional Medal of Honor, this is a Medal of Honor, it has nothing to do with Congress".
stomperrob

Postby Dolfin99 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:49 pm

Semper Fi Marine.

The great thing about Marines is that any of them would take a bullet, jump on a grenade etc....for their fellow Marines. There is no feeling like it.

I can honestly say that if I was in the same position tomorrow (I could be), I would do the same thing without even thinking about. it.
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:13 am

danielrp wrote:Semper Fi Marine.

The great thing about Marines is that any of them would take a bullet, jump on a grenade etc....for their fellow Marines. There is no feeling like it.

I can honestly say that if I was in the same position tomorrow (I could be), I would do the same thing without even thinking about. it.

Of course you know many of us our praying that you won't have to make that decision dan, but I'm proud to live in a country protected by the likes of yourself who would such a selfless act if that's what it came down to.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby stomperrob » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:37 am

danielrp wrote:Semper Fi Marine.

And probably the best argument out there for America not to go back to the draft - they sure as hell wouldn't get Marines like you and your comrades in arms!
;-D ;-D ;-D
stomperrob

Postby dilydaly » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:02 am

as a marine I know we were taught and learned of herosim such as this and felt I would do the same for my brothers.

I spent 30 mins explaining this to my g.f yesterday after she read the article and asked me about it. I told her yes I would have done it, she frowned but its the creed the bond and values of the corps.

why let 4 or 5 men die including urself when u can jump on it and save your brothers. its not for medals the soldier next to you is usally closer to you than anyone you have ever met at the time.

"if i die in the combat zone box me up and ship me home ,pin my medals upon my chest, tell my mom ive done my best.
mama mama dont u cry marince corps motto is to do or die"

seems weird as a civilian to understand this scenerio or why you would jump to your death but life and the world becomes real different when the bullets are real and your not in Kansas anymore.

Dylan
War is delightful to those who have not experienced it.
-- Desiderius Erasmus
dilydaly
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to General Talk