Cutler to Start Week 13??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cutler to Start Week 13???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cutler to Start Week 13???

Postby moonshadowjb » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:14 pm

News: NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that while Jake Plummer will start at Kansas City in Week 12, rookie QB Jay Cutler is "very likely" to start when the Broncos host the Seahawks in Week 13. No confirmation of this has been made from coach Mike Shanahan or the Broncos staff.

Analysis: Plummer has had a disappointing season, the likes of which haven't endeared him to Fantasy owners. Cutler showed off a nice arm during the preseason and has drawn comparisons to Brett Favre. Obviously, if Plummer hammers the Chiefs, he could keep the job, but Fantasy owners should take a flier on Cutler if they can since he'd be a potential Fantasy postseason savior if he gets under center and connects right away with Javon Walker and Rod Smith. If you own Plummer, keep him benched and be prepared to cut him if he loses the starting gig.

What do yall think of Cutler being the Starter for the FF Playoffs? Could really shake things up for Walker owners, Since Plummer seems to look for Walker alot
moonshadowjb
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:38 pm

I don't know why they would do that. The Broncos are still 7-3 with an inside track on the wild card and only a game out of the division. To throw someone into the starting lineup who has zero experience while you are in the middle of a playoff hunt makes no sense.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Flux » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:41 pm

I changed the title to the correct week...

I agree w/ Az, I dont know if you can risk putting in a rookie, but at the same time, its not like Jake is helping them win, he pretty much just hands off. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:01 pm

Great... another rookie QB compared to Favre.

Anyways, I wouldn't take this news of Cutler possibly starting until the Broncos make some public statement supporting this, namely Shanahan saying himself that Cutler will start. Who knows, Shanny may have let something like this leak as a last ditch attempt to motivate Plummer. And if Plummer has a good game against KC Thursday, I wouldn't be too surprised if Shanny says Schefter's report was complete bullcrap.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mattUTD20 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:46 pm

There's no way they will stick a rookie QB in there in the middle of the playoff race. Plummer is not doing badly enough for them to take drastic action like that. But then again we are talking Mike Shanahan so who knows what he's thinking.
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:50 pm

mattUTD20 wrote:There's no way they will stick a rookie QB in there in the middle of the playoff race. Plummer is not doing badly enough for them to take drastic action like that. But then again we are talking Mike Shanahan so who knows what he's thinking.

He most certainly is doing badly enough to take drastic measures. Now that the D isn't as strong as it was Plummer's mistakes are magnified. He hyas been horrible. And it's not like he has a good playoff record to lean on. I'd make the move. With Plummer they aren't winning anything. Maybe Cutler will spark the offence and limit the mistakes.

Cutler may be bad but no one knows. Everyone already knows Plummer is bad. So why not make the move? Cutler can't be much worse. It's not like he's Eli Manning. ;-7
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Drew_70 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:20 pm

Cutler should only be in for mop-up... for which he needs to see how fast the NFL is. Otherwise starting him now can be a disaster especially since HE'S A ROOKIE and hasn't even had a snap in regular season!
IMO, he will be a good QB but not now. (ie Leinart, Young still struggling for now)
Drew_70
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby EagleFan68 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:21 pm

mattUTD20 wrote: But then again we are talking Mike Shanahan so who knows what he's thinking.

He'll probably give them alternating series :-° ;-D ;-)
[b]QB's [/b] E. MANNING / KITNA / CUTLER
[b]RBs[/b] R BROWN / WESTBROOK (R BUSH / MCGAHEE / L BETTS / D WILLIAMS )
[b]WRs[/b] ROY WILLIAMS / T OWENS / A JOHNSON / BERRIAN
[b]TE[/b] WITTEN / WATSON
[b]K[/b] GRAHAM
[b]DT[/b] PANTHERS
EagleFan68
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:51 pm

Drew_70 wrote:Cutler should only be in for mop-up... for which he needs to see how fast the NFL is. Otherwise starting him now can be a disaster especially since HE'S A ROOKIE and hasn't even had a snap in regular season!
IMO, he will be a good QB but not now. (ie Leinart, Young still struggling for now)

I agree. Cutler probably wont be great early on. But wouldn't you rather try to get him ready for the playoffs, hope he can do well in the playoffs and well enough to get to the playoffs, rather than play the guy you already know will suck now and in the playoffs? Thats my thing, I know Plummer sucks...I know Cutler will probably suck for a while, but he may be good enough to get them in the playoffs and actually do something in the playoffs.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DrSpackle » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:27 pm

Here in Denver, the "Cutler to start Sunday" rumors are a weekly occurrence. Cutler would have started this season if it weren't for Brian Griese. Why? Glad you asked . . .

Back in 1999, Shanny decided to start the year with Griese at QB instead of locker-room favorite Bubby Brister. At the time, Griese had zero NFL experience and the prior season Brister had filled in admirably for a four game stretch while Elway nursed an injury. It looked to be Brister's job for the '99 season. But Shanny did the old Shannahan Switcheroo and Griese started the '99 season. The team revolted, started 0-4 and quit on Shanny. Mike vowed to never make the same mistake again. So faced with basically the same decision this season, Shanny goes with the proven veteran over the rookie.

Now Jake has had a crap year, that's for sure. But it's not entirely his fault. The Broncos running game is more to blame. There isn't a team in the NFL that fears the Broncos running game. So no teams are worried about the play-action or bootleg -- Jake's bread and butter. Couple that with the fact that Shanny doesn't trust Jake to make a play, the play-calling reflects that, and it is killing Plummer this year.
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk