Urlacher Quote "that's the NFL for you" (re: Ricky Manning) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Urlacher Quote "that's the NFL for you" (re: Ricky Manning)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:20 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:u say why now? because they are an ethical franchise- it would be dispicable to waive the suspension until they had an easy game.

Nice thought - only it was the NFL that suspended him, not the franchise... At least according to the link provided above...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:23 am

lmcjaho wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:u say why now? because they are an ethical franchise- it would be dispicable to waive the suspension until they had an easy game.

Nice thought - only it was the NFL that suspended him, not the franchise... At least according to the link provided above...

well then that brings up the anwer...the NFL doesn't really care who they are playing against- the league suspends players when they want.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dgan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:11 am

Wasn't this the "beat up the guy with the laptop at Denny's because he looks like a nerd" incident?

That should be a one game suspension for assault and 3 more for being a moron...

What do we have to do to get an idiot player suspension rule? Oh wait...then the NFL would have to play 7 on 7...nevermind...
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby tol1l1yboy » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:22 am

I think the point of it is that the incident happened BEFORE the season and Manning met with NFL officials in week 2 or 3. They waited until the NE game to suspend him.

I can see the argument for it being an AFC game so it doesnt matter and that is why they chose this week but as someone who never finds a conspiracy he doesnt like I find it odd that they didnt supsend him against the Jets.

I certainly believe that there was something behind suspending this game. Maybe they felt like they could only suspend him one game but they wanted it to hurt as much as possible? I dont know but it is pretty fishy.
tol1l1yboy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:29 am

charles barkley threw a man into a window.

beat that.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:31 am

JasonSeahorn wrote:charles barkley threw a man into a window.

beat that.

In highschool we had a couple of seniors expelled for throwing a junior OUT a window (2nd story)... I think you're beat.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Wenchtamer » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:35 am

beat that.

Ok.

Charles Barkley spit on a little girl in the stands in the middle of a game.

Barkley is the man.
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby D3C4K » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:38 am

Wenchtamer wrote:

beat that.

Ok.

Charles Barkley spit on a little girl in the stands in the middle of a game.

Barkley is the man.

Barkley's awesome. ;-D

To be fair, Barkley wasn't aiming at the little girl, he was aiming at some ****er yelling racial epithets at him, but his aim was off. Also, the guy he threw through a window happened to dump a plate of drinks on him and his party (I believe Clyde Drexler and two women) first. I'm pretty sure even some of the guys on this forum would've done worse to the punk if he pulled that crap with them. Back to Manning, even as a Bears fan I didn't want him to come here. Insulting and cursing out a guy for using a laptop, and then jumping him with friends and literally beating him into unconsciousness for asking management for help is a whole hell of a lot worse than anything Chris Henry did. It's not even close. People literally get killed everyday for doing a hell of a lot less to people than what Manning and his dip**** friends did, and I can't believe people are pissing and moaning about a one-game suspension for something that would get most people 15-20 years in prison. :-t
QB - C. Newton
WR - L. Fitzgerald
WR - S. Smith (Car)
RB - M. Turner
RB - C. Johnson
TE - A. Gates
W/R/T - B. Wells
K - S. Janikowski
DEF - NYJ

BN - M. Ryan
BN - J. Battle
BN - P. Thomas
BN - J. Ringer
BN - V. Cruz
BN - B. Pettigrew
BN - SF D
D3C4K
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:16 pm

tol1l1yboy wrote:I think the point of it is that the incident happened BEFORE the season and Manning met with NFL officials in week 2 or 3. They waited until the NE game to suspend him.

I can see the argument for it being an AFC game so it doesnt matter and that is why they chose this week but as someone who never finds a conspiracy he doesnt like I find it odd that they didnt supsend him against the Jets.

I certainly believe that there was something behind suspending this game. Maybe they felt like they could only suspend him one game but they wanted it to hurt as much as possible? I dont know but it is pretty fishy.

The reason it took this long to make a decision was because Manning wanted to wait until his trial stuff was over with and he also filed an appeal. He's claiming that pleading no contest wasn't because he's guilty, but because he didn't want to deal with a full trial and possibly miss a whole bunch of games. He wanted the NFL to get all the details and make a informed decision.

In reality, the NFL's decision came pretty quick. His appeal and everything was finished either late last week or early this week, and it took the NFL a couple days to hand down a 1 game suspension. So I don't really think the NFL waited until an important game to suspend Manning. The whole AFC game thing looks mainly to be some rationalizing by the Bears. I don't think the NFL cared one way or the other which game Manning got suspended for.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:23 pm

lmcjaho wrote:

beat that.

In highschool we had a couple of seniors expelled for throwing a junior OUT a window (2nd story)... I think you're beat.

Didn't Leonard Little kill someone with his car while drunk? I think that is the worst.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk