Just how huge can one player be for your team.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Just how huge can one player be for your team..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Timbathia » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:39 am

BTW - The guy with the highest scoring player in the NFL has NEVER had the best regular season record nor won the superbowl in our league.

One players does not make an unbeatable fantasy team in my experience (though it sure can help).
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:46 am

well eli manning seems to be trying his best to tank fantasy teams.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Birderdude » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:58 am

I have both LT2 and LJ (and Colston for that matter) on an auction team. I'm 6-6, in third place, two games behind the teams in front of me (I am 1st in points scored). It just goes to show that luck really is a huge part of FF.
Birderdude
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby skinsfan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:01 am

RJ24VC15 wrote:If you have LT and don't win your league, you should just quit Fantasy Football.

He's averaged 29 points per game or so, which is amazing, but that gives you about a 5-17 point advantage over most teams' #1 backs (ranging from Larry Johnson to Edgerrin James, I guess). This is a major boost, but if you're weak at other positions, you could easily lose, and I expect Tomlinson to sit most of weeks 16-17, leaving a gaping hole if you make the Super Bowl.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Favre.com » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:06 am

Birderdude wrote:I have both LT2 and LJ (and Colston for that matter) on an auction team. I'm 6-6, in third place, two games behind the teams in front of me (I am 1st in points scored). It just goes to show that luck really is a huge part of FF.

Agreed. Fantasy football has so much to do with luck it's actually funny. Take my team for example, this team should be undefeated hands down and should basically roll when you look at it on paper (correct me if I'm wrong):

Bulger
Harrison
Holt
Boldin
Roy Williams
Rudi
SA
Gates
Sjax (flex spot)
Gould
Chicago

To me this is arguably the best team I have ever built or seen (and believe me it took quite a few trades and WW luck like Colston and Reggie Brown and then selling high to do it).

Now I am in first place at 9-2, and do lead in fantasy points by a slim margin, but honestly I have lost matchsups to .500 teams because of these factors:

Orlando Pace is hurt = STL Offense loses a lot of value, and I have 3 players. Holt just stopped playing altogether lately.

Peyton doesn't throw to freakin' Harrison: I traded Wayne for Roy Williams because I had them both and now Wayne gets stud numbers and Harrison barely shows up in the box score.

Rudi doesn't get carries until 2 weeks ago.

Roy williams is always a toss up to blow up or simply have one catch.

Etc...

We can only control how good of a team we field on paper based on predictions, projections, and statistics. We have no control over what the players actually do. Mike Furrey gets better stats then Roy Williams in a third of the Lions games, I can't control that, but I can tell you that I feel Roy based on talent and analysis is quite better then Furrey on my team. We field the team, they play, thats all we can do.

(BTW, Harrison and Holt are literally driving me nuts lately :))
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Postby BigMusky » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:44 am

I have LdT and he really has not had an impact on my team other then scoring alot of points for me that help in the tie breaker for first place. I am 9-3 and in first place, but would 8-4 if you took 15pts away from LdT every week. I am worried that the one week I really need him to step up, he wont be there and I will get knocked out of playoffs. No #1 regular season team has ever won our playoff.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:47 am

skinsfan wrote:
RJ24VC15 wrote:If you have LT and don't win your league, you should just quit Fantasy Football.

He's averaged 29 points per game or so, which is amazing, but that gives you about a 5-17 point advantage over most teams' #1 backs (ranging from Larry Johnson to Edgerrin James, I guess). This is a major boost, but if you're weak at other positions, you could easily lose, and I expect Tomlinson to sit most of weeks 16-17, leaving a gaping hole if you make the Super Bowl.

why would he sit week 16? They will be battling Baltimore and Indy for homefield advantage and first round bye.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby arod77 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:53 pm

I am in 2nd place in all 3 of my leagues.

In 2 of them, I was in first for the whole year and just recently got overtaken by LT owners. In my main league, the LT owner has won 7 in a row and we are tied but he has about 200 more points than I do. Before LT went on his run, I had more points than he did. He went from 8th to 1st.

In my 2nd league, the LT owner is going to overtake me for first after this week. He has won 8 in a row.

In my 3rd league, the guy with LT has a terrible team. However, he is dropping from 2nd place to 4th place this week. 4th place with a terrible team but he has LT.

I feel that I'm playing for 2nd in all my leagues the way LT is going. If he has a normal week in wk 16, then I got a chance.
arod77
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FF Newbie » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:14 pm

Favre.com wrote:I offered Holt and Rudi for LT and he said he would never give LT for anyone, period.

I think this is stupid considering I am obviously overpaying for him, but whatever.

Obviously overpaying? That offer is horrible and I wouldn't even consider it, even if Mason or Kennison were my best WR. LT is outscoring Holt and Rudi COMBINED, almost every week. Rejecting that offer isn't stupid; thinking it would be accepted is.

Favre.com wrote:At one point I offered Roy Williams, Rudi, and Bulger for LT and Eli and he didn't do it. I figuire its not worth completely busting my team for LT. I feel my trade was quite fair, am I correct?

No, you're not. Bulger and Eli are pretty much a wash right now, so you're back to Rudi and Roy for LT. That's NOT EVEN CLOSE to enough. Offer me SJax, Holt AND Roy or SJax, Holt/Roy and Chicago and I might bother to counter.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:16 pm

FF Newbie wrote:
Favre.com wrote:I offered Holt and Rudi for LT and he said he would never give LT for anyone, period.

I think this is stupid considering I am obviously overpaying for him, but whatever.

Obviously overpaying? That offer is horrible and I wouldn't even consider it, even if Mason or Kennison were my best WR. LT is outscoring Holt and Rudi COMBINED, almost every week. Rejecting that offer isn't stupid; thinking it would be accepted is.

Favre.com wrote:At one point I offered Roy Williams, Rudi, and Bulger for LT and Eli and he didn't do it. I figuire its not worth completely busting my team for LT. I feel my trade was quite fair, am I correct?

No, you're not. Bulger and Eli are pretty much a wash right now, so you're back to Rudi and Roy for LT. That's NOT EVEN CLOSE to enough. Offer me SJax, Holt AND Roy or SJax, Holt/Roy and Chicago and I might bother to counter.

This is correct. Good post.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk