is this unethical? and if so, what do i do? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

is this unethical? and if so, what do i do?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bobbing_headz » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:44 am

Definately field a lineup for him and lock him for the rest of the year. So be it if he gets the first pick. At least he'll have done it fairly that way.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: is this unethical? and if so, what do i do?

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:04 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I am the commish of a dynasty league. There is an owner who cannot make the playoffs no matter what, so what he is doing is intentioanlly losing by benching his whole team, in order to get the 1st pick of the amateur draft (currently in 3rd to last). Should I try to take action against him?

This is definitely unethical and I think you definitely should take action. It really sucks when some people take something that's supposed to be fun for everyone and turn it into something that's miserable.

I really like Wicked's idea but like he said, you can't change the rules mid-season. Some people have said to kick the guy out. That's a little harsh but I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it. Locking his lineup might be a good idea also.

I have a question about this. Did this guy already throw 1 or more games? Or is this week the 1st time he plans to do this? The only reason I ask this is because if he already threw 1 or more games by fielding a joke lineup like the one steelerfan513 mentioned, he definitely needs to be punished. If he didn't throw a game yet but has that joke lineup in this week you can either tell him to field a real lineup or leave the league. Then you can set a lineup for him or even have the league set his lineup for him while you find a replacement.

If he already threw 1 or more games like this I'd give him the last pick in the 1st round as a penalty and if he refuses to set a real lineup from this point on I'd kick him out.

I'm in a similar situation in one of my leagues. I'm 2-9 and have no chance. I'm still trying to win every week because that's what every owner is supposed to do. If this gives me the 4th pick in the rookie draft instead of the 1st, who cares? Who's to say the guy I get at #4 won't be the best player drafted in the entire rookie draft? Look at this year. The #1 rookie (Colston) wasn't even drafted in any of my rookie drafts/leagues. Maroney went #2 & #3 in most leagues and looks better than Bush at the moment. Granted they have long careers ahead of them and Bush could end up being awesome if he ever gets to start full-time.

This is just a bush league move. It's unethical and it's unfair to everyone in the entire league. He could affect who makes the playoffs, seeding, and even who ends up winning it all because of his "strategy". Leaving starting spots blank and starting guys that are on IR should not be tolerated. I wouldn't have any problem kicking him out if he already threw even 1 game.

And let me guess...no money is involved with this league. If that's the case, it makes it even worse. Have some pride dude! Go out swinging! Take down some of the top teams and then pick the best player possible with your 3rd or 4th pick! You're cheating everyone in the league, you're making yourself look like an a$$, and if we ever find out your identity...noone at the cafe will ever want you in any of there leagues. Is that really worth 1-3 draft spots for next years rookie draft where no money is involved?

Sorry but you get :-t :-t

Please let us know what you decide to do with this cheater.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby moochman » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:03 am

He needs to be challenged on this. How long has he been in your league? I would encourage him to field a team or risk a vote at the end of the season to see if leaguemates want him to play next year. It can't matter if he is a bud or not, he's got to respect the league by trying to field the most competitive team each week and honor the game by not cheating to gain a high draft pick.

If you don't want to take those measures you could always tell him that if he tanks the season for the top draft pick he will be awarded whoever Matt Millen drafts!
That should discourage anyone.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:26 am

he actually sent an e-mail back trying to defend his decisions. :-b
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:37 pm

I decided to lock him, so he cannot make anymore adds/drops or roster changes, then I put in the players who seemed like the logical ones to start- I will address whether or not he should be in the league for future years after the season is over.

btw steelerfan, ur going down this week!

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:33 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I decided to lock him, so he cannot make anymore adds/drops or roster changes, then I put in the players who seemed like the logical ones to start- I will address whether or not he should be in the league for future years after the season is over.

btw steelerfan, ur going down this week!

i sincerely doubt that, but if i do, i blame mike bell. :-[
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:28 am

Sucks for the rest of the league. If you personally know this guy, go to his house and kick his ass for being such a tool.

Seriously, if a guy did this in my local league, he better be on a permanent vacation or else there is going to be a lot more than words flying around.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby swandive » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:09 am

I guess I'm the lone dissenter on this one. I was in a league for the last few years (dropped out this year) and last year there was a guy that did that to get Reggie Bush. We had a rule that if you didn't score 50 points it costed you $5. ($10 per loss is harsh). No one had any real objections to it, although we all had fun ragging on him constantly. Unless your in a really expensive money league, I don't really see the big deal.
I'm starting to think that "The Cart" must be one of my players because he's seen as much time on the field for me as any of my players!

MCNABB, PORTIS, MCGAHEE, FITZ, KJ, JENNINGS, HEAP, CHESTER!!!
swandive
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby fezzik » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:44 am

My league rewards the top ranked teams that didn't make the playoffs (similar to what Wicked wrote)...it seems to work well and would stop this situation from occuring in future seasons...plus it seems to make the bottom teams more interested in the last weeks before the playoffs.
fezzik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JohnElway » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:12 am

I my league, all teams that do not make the playoffs are placed into a lottery and we pick draft order that way. This prevents teams from tanking it to get the 1st overall pick. It works well.
JohnElway
Water Boy
Water Boy

Previous

Return to Football Talk