Should I? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Should I?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:26 pm

Well here comes my video game addiction. I think I've had every system (main stream) since the Atari and Commodore back in the day. Here's the breakdown on the current 3 with emphasis on the 360.

PS3 - Will be a quality machine in the future. However, the price tag, limited supply, and normal first run bugs are all to be expected. Blu Ray is nice, but not worth the price jump right now IMO.

360 - Nothing really lost when compared to the PS3 except Blu Ray. And if you really want that add on, you can opt for the HD-DVD add on.

Wii - Seriously this thing is addictive and innovating. I picked one up and I find it hard to walk away from. But I can't say if it's the newness of the concept or if this thing will have the staying power. Plus I would not think of this as a typical video game system.

Me, I would say get the 360 right now. Get the higher end version though with the HD. For the price increase to the PS3, it's not really worth it right now unless you're an avid gamer. The 360 will be awe inspiring for all casual gamers. And the games run on average $60 right now. There are many stunning games and a variety of genres so I'm sure you will find some you like.

I just revently play through Gears of War and the grpahics were the best I have ever seen on any system to date. Simply stunning. But as I said, the Wii has stolen my attention for the time being. I would suggest any avid gamer give this thing a fair look. I know the name Nintendo brings images of Mario and kiddie games, but this thing really is a blast.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:32 pm

Wow. $600+ for a video game console? And I see they're going for several times that amount on Ebay. Just sickening that someone would spend that much money for a video game system. I remember back in 1986, when my parents bought the NES for me, the system was $125 and that was considered a lot of money for a video game system. Dear God, there are people starving in this world and people are still willing to spend $2,500 for a video game system. :-P
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:40 pm

I think Sony is really partly using the PS3 to get BluRay into peoples homes so it has an advantage over HD DVD.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:37 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Wow. $600+ for a video game console? And I see they're going for several times that amount on Ebay. Just sickening that someone would spend that much money for a video game system. I remember back in 1986, when my parents bought the NES for me, the system was $125 and that was considered a lot of money for a video game system. Dear God, there are people starving in this world and people are still willing to spend $2,500 for a video game system. :-P

Having the Blu-Ray player in it definitely makes it worth $600 at this point in time. But yeah, Sony is trying to pimp their brand, and I'll bet it beats out HD-DVD because Sony has the name brand recognition.

They intentionally underpriced this gaming console so people could afford it. They figure they can make the money up in spades by charging $60 for each game...just like they have always done. :-P
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby vitalogist » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:57 pm

is is true that panasonic is working on the player that is going to play both blu-ray and hd-dvd? its only a matter of time - it's all digital media...
vitalogist
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokeyjoe » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:57 pm

vitalogist wrote:is is true that panasonic is working on the player that is going to play both blu-ray and hd-dvd? its only a matter of time - it's all digital media...

That would make this whole dilemna between blu-ray and hd dvd a lot easier, but I seriously don't see that happening. If it did it would probably be really expensive.
pokeyjoe
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eman » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:59 pm

XBOX360 is great if you enjoy online play, and it has better games in certain categories.

FPS shooter's, startegic shooters etc, Xbox has the upper hand I'd say. GoW alone helps, but then there's also Prey (An amazing game with great strategic elements), and some other solid games as well.

Xbox also has some amazing racing games. I have Test Drive: Unlimited, and it is absolutely amazing. Amazing ly realistic, and despite having the game for a few months I still haven't explored nearly half the island. The gameplay is also very fun, with the missions and races being enjoyable and the perfect mix of challengeand fun. There's also PGR, which is great, and some others as well.

There's other stuff too, I'm feeling lazy right now though.

I'd recommend the xbox360, I used to be a sony guy but the xbox360 has converted me, my only complaint is the blatant lack of features in such games as Madden and NCAAF. (No superstar mode or any of that fun stuff)
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Karoz » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:54 pm

I would say the 360, but I would be very worried about it's quality. Let me tell you what happened, in my own personal experience.

I bought a 360, around 2 months after it came out. Things were going great, until one day the Xbox froze, and three lights on the ROL flashed red. As it turns out, this indicates that the system has failed, and that the system is virtually worthless unless it is repaired.

So, I called up Microsoft's customer support, and after explaining to them what happened, and going through all of the procedures that they recommended, they told me to box it up and send it in, and they would send me a new one. I thought, "Good, at least they are going to take care of it for me."

I send it in, and in three weeks, I get a new 360. I am happy because I think that the problem is behind me, and that this new system would work fine. Less than two weeks later, the same problem occurs. The three rings starting flashing red again I tried everything, and the 360 wouldn't work. I call Microsoft back up, and this time I am a little ticked off. After speaking with them for close to half an hour, they agree to send me a replacement.

I box the 360 up, and send it in. Again, three weeks later, my new system arrives. This time, I am a little wary of the system, due to my past experiences. To my delight, it works great. Three months roll by, and I didn't have a single problem, until one night it froze again, and the dreaded rings started flashing red again. This time I am fuming, this was the third system that had messed up on me.

So, again, I called Microsoft, and explained to them that it had happened again. I told them that this was the second replacement that had been faulty. They tell me that they will repair it, but that it would cost me $110 to get it repaired. I paid the $110, got it repaired, and immediately sold the system, and all of my games on eBay. I didn't trust the system to stay working, and I really didn't feel like having to pay another $110 down the road.

As it turns out, this sort of experience has happened to many, many people. It is very disturbing, and makes me wonder if Microsoft planned this. You could buy the system if you want to take this risk, but I wouldn't recommend it.

On a side note, I haven't heard or experienced anything like this with the PS3. As far as I can tell, Sony took the high road and made a quality machine.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:28 pm

CC wrote:I think Sony is really partly using the PS3 to get BluRay into peoples homes so it has an advantage over HD DVD.

bingo. that's the only reason the ps3 is so expensive. blu ray dvd players are more expensive than the ps3. and that's all they do, play movies. so honestly if are a blu ray homer, the ps3 is a steal. :-?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:23 am

I got the Wii, and man that system kicks some serious ass. If Next-gen is about gameplay over graphics, Nintendo wins hands down. I have yet to play PS3, but I really don't see how it can compete. It's all about the Wii-Mote.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk