Should I? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Should I?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Jimboozie » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:00 am

Wii is pretty sweet but they don't have much of a lineup as far as games. Zelda and what?

I don't think any of the systems are must-haves, especially for the price they're charging.

I say go for none, you'll get bored with them after a while anyways. :-t
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:03 pm

Just a few thoughts on some follow up posts to keep this thing factual. First, there were plenty of launch 360's that had issues. Any newer gaming system will have bugs that need to be worked out. If you're an avid gamer, you come to expect this. But the 360's selling now have had those bugs fixed from what I have been reading. And please don't think the PS3 is near bug free. The PS3 is actually having a higher fail rate than the 360 did. There are even horror stories of PS3's catching on fire. Of course these are the horror stories. Bottom line is that any new console will have about a 5% fail rate. PS3 is newer so you're taking a greater chance by buying it.

As for Blu Ray and HD DVD, they will not merge into one format if for no other reason than pricing. They use different disc formats, different lasers to read, and currently they even ocmpress data differently. The shear price alone would make this a non option. As for who is going to win out, only time will tell. Yes Blu Ray has the Sony backing, but HD DVD has MS, Samsung, and DVD Forum (a conglomerate of DVD producing companies not an online forum). And the key point which I personally think could lead to HD DVD winning out is you can still play your normal DVD's in a HD DVD player but Blu Ray players can only read Blu Ray discs. That will most likely be Sony's crucial mistake.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:55 pm

I got the premium 360 last year. It's pretty cool. I have online and it's really cool for shooters like Halo 2. I will probably get Gears of War. I personally would save 200 bucks and get it. It has everything you could want. I don't play it all that much, but I'm sure I will start to. I think the premium is worth the buy in the end with the hard drive and other features, but that depends. on you.
I actually have considered getting the Wii this year, but I would have to test it, looks like fun but I just dont know. 650 in consoles might be a little over the top for how much I play them :-?
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby suppasonic » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:49 pm

Just pay $150 for a sick graphics card for your computer and you have your PS3. Just buy the games for the computers instead.
suppasonic
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:15 pm

I haven't tried the PS3 or 360 yet, but the Wii is absolutely amazing. However, it seems to me that it's really more of a "family" system... but the Wiimote is awesome. Now, the only question in my mind is.. would I still like the Wii if I played it for a few months consistently... and the answer is.. I'm not sure....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Karoz » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:17 pm

smackthefirst wrote:Just a few thoughts on some follow up posts to keep this thing factual. First, there were plenty of launch 360's that had issues. Any newer gaming system will have bugs that need to be worked out. If you're an avid gamer, you come to expect this. But the 360's selling now have had those bugs fixed from what I have been reading. And please don't think the PS3 is near bug free. The PS3 is actually having a higher fail rate than the 360 did. There are even horror stories of PS3's catching on fire. Of course these are the horror stories. Bottom line is that any new console will have about a 5% fail rate. PS3 is newer so you're taking a greater chance by buying it.

Yes, new systems are expected to be a bit faulty. My complaint is more-so with the customer support at Microsoft. They sent me two replacements which both failed, and then they asked for $110 to try it again, because the warranty had expired.

Just so you know beforehand, I had the systems fully ventilated, and they were not exposed to any extreme temperatures. I followed all of Microsoft's recommended procedures.

It was just frustrating to lose so much time and money, just because they couldn't seem to get a single system to work for me. I guess that's the risk you take when buying a new machine, but I still don't understand how customer support can eventually make you pay for their mistakes.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aldridg6in » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:22 pm

I had a friend whose 360 failed the first day he played it. Yes, he preorderd it and got one of the initial deliveries. I'd stay far away from the PS3 until mid-next year so they have time to work out some of the bugs.

A lot of people will argue cost as a factor in deciding what to get, but $600 isn't unrealistic for a PS3 considering it is a Blu-Ray player. You pay $400 for an Xbox 360, then another $150-$200 for the HD-DVD player that goes with it. You save $50 in the deal at the most.

If I were to buy one, I'd get the PS3 only because I like a lot of the PS2 titles better than Xbox ones.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:19 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:I haven't tried the PS3 or 360 yet, but the Wii is absolutely amazing. However, it seems to me that it's really more of a "family" system... but the Wiimote is awesome. Now, the only question in my mind is.. would I still like the Wii if I played it for a few months consistently... and the answer is.. I'm not sure....

EXACTLY what my girlfriend was saying. It looks neat and all, and is fun. But it could get kind of old after awhile, something I'd rather just go over a friends house and play every once in awhile.
I have 360 too, so it's even dumber to buy it, but it's so tempting :-o
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby vitalogist » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:29 am

yea my 360 i love, im not a hardcore gamer... maybe 15 hrs a week or so... but i cant stop thinking about the wii... probably that $250 price tag. theres no way id play them both enough to warrant it...
vitalogist
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:48 pm

smackthefirst wrote:Just a few thoughts on some follow up posts to keep this thing factual. First, there were plenty of launch 360's that had issues. Any newer gaming system will have bugs that need to be worked out. If you're an avid gamer, you come to expect this. But the 360's selling now have had those bugs fixed from what I have been reading. And please don't think the PS3 is near bug free. The PS3 is actually having a higher fail rate than the 360 did. There are even horror stories of PS3's catching on fire. Of course these are the horror stories. Bottom line is that any new console will have about a 5% fail rate. PS3 is newer so you're taking a greater chance by buying it.

As for Blu Ray and HD DVD, they will not merge into one format if for no other reason than pricing. They use different disc formats, different lasers to read, and currently they even ocmpress data differently. The shear price alone would make this a non option. As for who is going to win out, only time will tell. Yes Blu Ray has the Sony backing, but HD DVD has MS, Samsung, and DVD Forum (a conglomerate of DVD producing companies not an online forum). And the key point which I personally think could lead to HD DVD winning out is you can still play your normal DVD's in a HD DVD player but Blu Ray players can only read Blu Ray discs. That will most likely be Sony's crucial mistake.

Do you have any linkage for this? I've been wondering if they have fixed the newer ones or not.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk