Tony Romo the next Tom Brady. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tony Romo the next Tom Brady.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby slowride » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:04 pm

What I find hilarious is how when Bledsoe was the qb everyone was saying how poor the o-line is. Now that Romo is in and the cowboys are doing well people are saying the o-line is good.

....o-line hasn't changed, weapons haven't changed.
slowride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:06 pm

slowride wrote:What I find hilarious is how when Bledsoe was the qb everyone was saying how poor the o-line is. Now that Romo is in and the cowboys are doing well people are saying the o-line is good.

....o-line hasn't changed, weapons haven't changed.

Havent you heard? Tony Romo is the second coming.... ;-)
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bigE141 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:16 pm

Favre.com wrote:I am so sick of freakin' Romo. Comes out of nowhere for 1 and a half good games against joke DEF and suddely guys are saying he's top 5 and better then the likes of Brees, Bulger, and Brady.

Ok, with injuries taken into account, the TB DEF that Romo faced was a Div III team. Add in TO and his O-Line and I'm sure I could have gotten at least 2 TDs in myself!

I think Tony is a good QB, I would never trade a guy that I own (Bulger) for him because I need consistency. I need to see him do it week in adn week out (not like last week). I need to let other teams get film on him (as well as schemes against the O-line) and then see what he does.

I have seen enough QBs that started off like this and went nowhere. I am not saying that it will happen with Romo, I am saying that the way Romo is getting praised right now is beyond ridiculous.

He's had more than 1 and a half good games:

@ Carolina- 24/36, 270 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
@ Washington- 24/36, 284 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT
@ Arizona- 20/29, 308 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT
Indianapolis- 19/23, 226 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
Tampa Bay- 22/29, 306 yards, 5 TD, 0 INT

I count five good games, and T.O. has had several key drops that have taken away some TD's and yardage. First people were saying that Romo's inexperience would hurt him when he first took over. Then they said he'll come back to earth after a few games. Then they said wait until teams have a few game tapes on him. Now what?

And like slowride said, the o-line was considered a liability and one of the worst in the NFL before Romo came in with his mobility and ability to make plays.

I realize that it is wayyy to early to compare him to Tom Brady since Brady has been winning and performing year in and year out, but I have to give credit where credits due for Romo's performance thus far, and hopefully he can maintain this level of play throughout the season, and into the playoffs!
Thanks for the sig, madaslives911!
bigE141
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mrblitz » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:49 pm

Whoa. Slow down with the Brady comparison. To keep it simple the guy hasn't even won a playoff game yet? :-D

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:52 pm

I should do a Colston = Jerry Rice thread one of these days :-? :-b
Amazing Oopah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:57 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:I should do a Colston = Jerry Rice thread one of these days :-? :-b

While we're dumping on someone for comparing Romo to Brady let's not start trashing Jerry Rice by even saying that he and Brady are in the same league.

Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver of all time. Brady is a guy who happened into a solid team and coaching staff and is certainly in the top 2 of today's QBs. Brady will not go down as the greatest QB of all time, period.

Maybe a better WR comparison is Art Monk. :-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:24 pm

WOW! Once these NFL teams see enough film of this guy we'll see how good he is in a couple of games.
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: playing super tecmo bowl...Bo and Marcus Allen are you kidding?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:30 pm

SOUTHSIDE HITMEN wrote:WOW! Once these NFL teams see enough film of this guy we'll see how good he is in a couple of games.

Last week, TB already had seen a couple games of film. I'm not saying he is as good as Tom Brady, but he is pretty good.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Favre.com » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:13 pm

Brady will not go down as the greatest QB of all time, period.

Ok, I'm the biggest Brady hater on earth, but to say that is either ignorant or just plains stupid. If he wins one more SB, he WILL go down with the greats (probobly will with his stats anyway even if he doesn't though). I have watched Brady a couple of weeks in a row lately and I must say that even though I hate him he is the most calm and collected QB under pressure I have ever seen. The guy has three rings buddy, show some respect.

Last week, TB already had seen a couple games of film. I'm not saying he is as good as Tom Brady, but he is pretty good.

The defense TB showed on the field couldn't stop me at QB. Seriously, no Rice, safeties banged up, corner hurt, no pass rush. Did you really expect anything good out of them?

He's had more than 1 and a half good games:

@ Carolina- 24/36, 270 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
@ Washington- 24/36, 284 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT
@ Arizona- 20/29, 308 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT Indianapolis- 19/23, 226 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
Tampa Bay- 22/29, 306 yards, 5 TD, 0 INT

I count five good games, and T.O. has had several key drops that have taken away some TD's and yardage. First people were saying that Romo's inexperience would hurt him when he first took over. Then they said he'll come back to earth after a few games. Then they said wait until teams have a few game tapes on him. Now what?

And like slowride said, the o-line was considered a liability and one of the worst in the NFL before Romo came in with his mobility and ability to make plays.

I realize that it is wayyy to early to compare him to Tom Brady since Brady has been winning and performing year in and year out, but I have to give credit where credits due for Romo's performance thus far, and hopefully he can maintain this level of play throughout the season, and into the playoffs!

Five good games? What are you talking about?! The games that you listed have been edited by me to show you what really happened. Bold means bad/average game and underlined means poor defense...as I said, nothing impressive.
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:02 pm

I don't know about Romo yet (I like what I've seen so far), but Brady has a very realistic shot at being one of the all-time great QB's once his career is over. Folks have to remember, he's in the prime of his career and he's already won more Super Bowl's than a lot of the QB's that are considered all-time greats. And it's not just about the Super Bowls, he's a fantastic all-around QB who gives his team a distinct advantage in every game.

People love to say, "(insert player name here) is overrated," but if a guy consistently delivers results like Brady does, is he really overrated? I don't think so. Dissing Brady is what's overrated. Why do people think they have to pick flaws in people who are great at what they do?

Montana for example is considered one of the all-time greats, but has Brady ever had the luxury of working with someone like Jerry Rice, or even in a backfield with a guy like Roger Craig to help carry the load? Think about how great Brady could be if he had even more weapons. I'm not saying he's a deity or anything, but I don't think any of the all-time greats were ever 100% perfect either. If you looked through Montana's or Unitas's careers, you'd probably see the occasional clunker in there.

I'm done ranting, thanks.
BillyHallDisciple
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk