Tony Romo the next Tom Brady. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tony Romo the next Tom Brady.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby benb18a » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:44 pm

SOUTHSIDE HITMEN wrote:Here's a fact you didn't know about Romo.

Tony Romo doesn't read the playbooks. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants

I knew that. I bet you guys didn't know this fact. When he does push-ups, he isn't pushing himself up, he is pushing the earth down. He visited the Virgin Islands this past summer. After he left they were simply known as The Islands.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:47 pm

i'm not one to compliment dallas, so you ain't heard this from me...

But, this is not baseball people. Stats tell a story in football, and we all know what the benchmarks of excellence are.

That said, Romo is damn legit, and its pretty weird Dallas waited this long. All else being equal, and it is, this team is way different with this guy at the helm.

I would like to see what he does when there is enough film on him that defenses can plan for him, right now its kind of winging it, you have to assume he can't make the plays, since you have nothing else to go on.

But, seeing his poise and the way he carries himself etc., I have no problem thinking he will eclipse eli soon. Its not like Eli is some majorly pedigreed qb. His first "good" season, he collapsed down the stretch, and the team got waxed in the playoffs. Looks to me like Dallas is probably going to win the division.

Granted TO and Glenn, and Witten as a unit are better than Plax, Shockey and whomever the giants are starting now (MOSS?), but I like barber a lot better than jones. I think this romo guy might just have what it takes to be honest.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sappisgod » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:55 pm

dgan wrote:Umm...who is? Not Brady. Tampa Bay has faced what, 8 different QBs this year, and none have put up 5 TDs. Just because they're bad doesn't diminish Romo's performance.

You know what I mean. His performance against us isn't something I'd put too much value in. Yes, we have faced 8 different QBs this year, but we're a different team than when the season started. We've lost our best pass rusher in Rice, we're playing our 3rd string under tackle which is a huge position of importance in the cover 2, we lost our best cover corner. The wheels are coming off this defense that was average at best at the start of the year.
sappisgod
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:45 pm

Brady might not be a 300 yard 5 TD guy, but earlier this year he was a 372-yard, 4 TD guy against the Vikings. Then a couple of weeks later, he was a 4 TD guy again vs. the Packers.[/i][/quote]
BillyHallDisciple
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby skinsfan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:12 pm

Unless he finds a way to win 3 super bowls in 4 seasons, he won't be the next Tom Brady. There probably won't be another Tom Brady for that matter. Also, Romo spent more time on the pine. Supplanting Bledsoe doesn't make you Tom Brady!
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mattb47 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:29 pm

Romo has proven to be an excellent player. There is no denying what he has done so far this year when he took over as the starter. But like with any QB, one has to question how much of his success is due to the great targets he has and how much of it his own talent.

Sure, you can make the argument that Bledsoe couldn't do well with his weapons so that can't be it....but Bledsoe was a statue out there whose reaction time and mobility were so poor that you can't really garner a reasonable comparison in any aspect between him and Romo. How many QBs in the league would be putting up good numbers with TO, Glenn, Witten, J. Jones, and M. Barber as a part of their offense? Those are some great guys to have surrounding you.

Not trying to take anything from Romo, but until he is able to put up numbers like Brady has with significantly less talent alongside him, you simply cannot put him in the same category. Like others have said as well, let's see how he does when defenses have seen a few more games from him and are able to really start to scheme against him. He really has yet to face a great pass defense and probably wont until the playoffs....so his true test may have to wait until then.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk