have u learned anything nu about fantasy football? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

have u learned anything nu about fantasy football?

Moderator: Football Moderators

have u learned anything nu about fantasy football?

Postby BradtheImpaler » Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:55 pm

1> i think what i have gotten so far from this season is that a solid runner with good defense and a poor passing game is still a very good player to select.

i shyed away from jamal lewis and steven davis mainly cause i thought thier offenses would be horrible due to poor qb play, and didnt expect them to have near as much of a fantasy inpact.

of course in our draft i was last in rnd 1 and first and rnd 2, so theres no way i coulda gotten them anyways, but i did have the owner of davis around week 2 put him out there as trade bait.

2> the second thing i got was to just pick 1 starter, and basically stick with him no matter what. i got hasselbeck and have rode him out in all but one week, when due to injuries i had to start robinson/jackson/and seahawks kicker josh brown....i was too scared to start 4 seahawks, and i went with maddox instead. that was the week where matt threw like 2 td's and ran for another against the rams a few weeks back....maddox sucked that week. last year i had 3/4 qb's and almost every week i would select the totally wrong guy.

thats about it so far, oh and have lots of luck as well.
Angel Corpse, Vader, Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Krisiun, Malevolent Creation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Satyricon..........

"Anything less would be uncivilized"
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:03 pm

We tend not to forget what we learn the hard way. Sounds like you've learned a valuable lesson.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby zombiez » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:15 pm

always good to keep thinking that way, only makes you a better FF player, the game evolves constantly, always good to think and try to stay on top
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Re: have u learned anything nu about fantasy football?

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:30 pm

BradtheImpaler wrote: oh and have lots of luck as well.

^^that's what it really comes down to...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:52 pm

A little draft strategy I have tried to apply.

Rounds 1-5 pick up 3 maybe 4 running backs and the top WR's/Quaterbacks, depending on where you have them ranked.

Rounds 6-10 look for your guys rolls in the offense. Marty Booker, Charles Johnson, to name a few are #1 recievers on their teams depth charts meaning they are usually the best 3rd recievers for byes and injuries. 2nd tier running backs in the RBBC are sometimes good takes as well.

rounds 10-15 Back up your risky picks. Bulger if you drafted Warner. Toefield if you drafted Fred Taylor etc........ Look for guys that fell in the draft. Jimmy Smith went 15th in an 8 team league of mine and 11th in a 12 team league.

Late rounds, your deep sleepers followed last bye a kicker.

2001 my first year of fantasy football I didnt quite apply any strategy and went with big names I knew. I dont want to talk about where I ended up in the standings. 2002 I went with a plan similar to this but qued guys a little too high based on their upside. Barlow had/still does tons of upside but his numbers werent worth being my 3rd running back taken in the 3rd round after seeing what a good bit of recievers and QB's taken that round did.

This year I pretty much stuck with the above listed strategy and am 5-1 in an 8 team league, 3-3 in a 12 team league (I will come on strong after this week).
"At 60 yards it wont be a record FG distance, It will however set a record for longest post field goal celebration if Gramatica makes it."

Al Michaels, in reference to a Gramatica 60YRD field goal attempt week 5(2003 season) of Monday Night Football.
Bukoski77
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby K-One » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:42 am

I've learned Lines and over/unders on games are a great way to determine if ur players r going to perform well or not before gametime ! Case in point...Buffalo only -1.5 at JETS...something was telling my to expect very little from the bills Offense.
QB (1) - Plummer, Leftwich
RB (2) - Alexander, Dunn, Larry Johnson, Ronnie Brown, Stephen Davis
WR (3) - Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Drew Bennett, Rod Smith, Jason Witten
K - Peterson
D - Carolina
(10 team league, pick #4)
K-One
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby NDIrish02 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:02 am

Know thy league is something I took for granted this year... entered a league where receptions count for ONE POINT EACH. This doesn't seem like much, but a decent wideout will get u 5-6 catches on avg..... that is like averaging a whole extra TD. One guy drafted Moss, Harrison, and Boston w/ his first 3 picks, got laughed out of the draft room, and is 4-2. The 4 weeks he won he killed, but in bye weeks/weeks his big 3 have gotten small he has got SLAMMED (hambrick and mack are his backs, haha). Don't know how this will last all year, but should be interesting...
NDIrish02
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:20 am

I've learned to trust in Vermeil. Yeah he's over-emotional, but when he gets a piece to his puzzle you can expect to get production.

I expect Dante Hall will start to be used more like Az Hakim was with the Rams. He's not a great receiver, but Vermeil will find a way to get him the ball and some space.

Next year if they draft a WR in the first round, I'll trust in him with a late round pick on a rookie WR.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:08 am

K-One wrote:I've learned Lines and over/unders on games are a great way to determine if ur players r going to perform well or not before gametime ! Case in point...Buffalo only -1.5 at JETS...something was telling my to expect very little from the bills Offense.

I can see that sorta, but that's just for gambling purposes. The purpose of the line is to ensure an equal number of betters place opposing bets so the house wins money. Buffalo being -1.5 favorites doesn't mean that the betting houses think Buffalo will only win by 2, it just means the average joe is 50/50 with that point spread. I certainly don't want to place my fantasy teams in the hands of the average joe who bets online or at vegas.

The REAL reason Buffalo is in a funk right now, is Kevin Gilbride, their O-coordinator, is a * up plain and simple. If he ever gets named head coach of a team, don't draft players from that team. I'm glad I stayed away from Buffalo skill players this year (so far, I hope that doesn't come back to bite me... and yeah I drafted Henry a couple times...)

edited by MB - content
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AF » Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:25 am

I learned that team name changes can motivate your players. I changed my team name from Absolutely Fabulous after week 3 when I had a real bad week and Faulk went down to Absolutely $hitty and Moss took exception to that and had 2 monster weeks in a row and put me back into 2nd in total points. This week I changed the team name back and I am only up 67-58 going into monday night with Bulger for me and Gordon for him left. I think the team name is going back.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk