Reasons why you shouldn't buy a Playstation3 ... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Reasons why you shouldn't buy a Playstation3 ...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Tiki » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:24 pm

Let's not let the kid play violent video games, but paintball is a good solution!? How does that make sense....I think the article sucked ass....It's not the videogame's fault it's the parents. ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7020
Joined: 25 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: '08 DOM-35.

Postby Warpigs » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:09 pm

I'm sorry. The jist of this article wasn't supposed to attack video gamers. I am not stereotyping those who play video games, or am I blaming video games one bit. I agree wholeheartedly that it is the parents fault if things cross the line, but you also must understand the M.O. of many parents nowadays. When most of us were young, and for some of us that are still young, we have pretty balanced lives, we understand the need for outside play. I bought my son an X-box a couple months ago, so I'm not saying that video games are bad. Some can be, and the social norm is shifting towards the general thinking that games that promote or seem to promote violence and sexual ideations are OK... just like PG-13 movies now are about the same as R-rated movies were 10 years ago. The general parent buys the video game system as as second babysitter (I have seen this countless times with the youth I counsel), and many times, kids fall into the trap of isolating in their rooms playing video games, while missing out on learning social skills while guests are over, etc. I'm not saying that about people at the cafe, but in many new-generation families. Again, video systems aren't bad, but many parents/kids don't set up appropriate boundaries.

Secondly, comparing a game system to a $1000 computer is assinine. My computer (which wasn't $1000) has a ton more uses than simply entertainment. I use it for work, family, etc. If someone bought a $1000 computer system simply for gaming, then I would include it in my list.

The whole article was supposed to challenge parents as they enter the holiday shopping season. If you had $500 to spend on your 10-year old kid, would it be better to buy a Playstation 3 or put it towards supplies to build a tree house. Making a point that the Playstation 3 has a five-year shelf-life instead of a 3-year helps make my case. Your Playstation 3 Christmas gift HAS a shelf-life. Your 10-year old or 12-year old won't be sharing his Playstation 3 with his children, just like my 16-year old son wants nothing to do with my Nintendo 64. It is out of fashion. It is past its prime. However, building a tree house and playing in it with your child provides tons of Kodak moments and memories that last a lifetime -- PLUS there is a good chance that little Billy can play with his children in that tree house and build a whole new generation of memories. If I'm shelling out $500 for a Christmas gift, I'd rather have the latter. Wouldn't you?

P.S. Paintball may be a violent sport (note my age-appropriate notice beforehand in the article), but it teaches much more than a violent video game if the proper approach is taken. Youth have to learn to ration/budget ammo, take care of their paintball equipment (respect and responsibility), follow set rules at the paintball place (if they don't, they receive immediate natural consequences of being banned from the field), working as a team, communication, learn safe gun handling in a more controlled environment (than using actual guns) and learn the consequences of making bad decisions during play (welts). It also cost money to paintball, teaching youth to properly budget their money and save for a goal. The average violent video game has youth shooting unlimited ammunition, leaves little room for imagination (all the carnage is broadcast in full color) and breeds feelings of invincibility (not only does it take numerous shots to be killed on most normal settings, but what's the worst that happens when you do die? You may have to start over, or at the last checkpoint.)
Image
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
Posts: 3054
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tiki » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:03 am

Warpigs wrote:P.S. Paintball may be a violent sport (note my age-appropriate notice beforehand in the article), but it teaches much more than a violent video game if the proper approach is taken. Youth have to learn to ration/budget ammo, take care of their paintball equipment (respect and responsibility), follow set rules at the paintball place (if they don't, they receive immediate natural consequences of being banned from the field), working as a team, communication, learn safe gun handling in a more controlled environment (than using actual guns) and learn the consequences of making bad decisions during play (welts). It also cost money to paintball, teaching youth to properly budget their money and save for a goal. The average violent video game has youth shooting unlimited ammunition, leaves little room for imagination (all the carnage is broadcast in full color) and breeds feelings of invincibility (not only does it take numerous shots to be killed on most normal settings, but what's the worst that happens when you do die? You may have to start over, or at the last checkpoint.)

Majority of those points are botched......
1. You can run out of ammo and if you dont take care of your system it can have many problems!
2. In online play you can get banned from many groupsand whatnot
3.You are able to play mutliplayer on many games helping you work as ateam with one-three other players. Also, online you go in packs and mess stuff up.
4.I guessfor making a bad choice you get another chance, just w/o the welts, but you still lose




Now I love Paintball and when ever I play it's normally just with guns no protective gear, we get jacked up.... !+)

I'm just saying that video games are very helpful. ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7020
Joined: 25 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: '08 DOM-35.

Postby Matthias » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:10 am

Warpigs wrote:just like PG-13 movies now are about the same as R-rated movies were 10 years ago.


This is neither here nor there, but I'd say it's actually the other way around: R-rated movies now are as PG-13 movies were 10 (or maybe 15) years ago. I remember the first PG-13 film (or at least, one of the first). It was The Color Purple that I went to see with my mom and my brothers when I was about 13. Had full frontal nudity, which you would never see in a PG-13 movie nowadays.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:54 am

Matthias wrote:
Warpigs wrote:just like PG-13 movies now are about the same as R-rated movies were 10 years ago.


This is neither here nor there, but I'd say it's actually the other way around: R-rated movies now are as PG-13 movies were 10 (or maybe 15) years ago. I remember the first PG-13 film (or at least, one of the first). It was The Color Purple that I went to see with my mom and my brothers when I was about 13. Had full frontal nudity, which you would never see in a PG-13 movie nowadays.

Yeah I agree. Spaceballs is rated PG but if it were made today would be PG-13 without question.
Image
teddy ballgame
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 1235
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Postby dilydaly » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:24 am

great example spaceballz love it.... u pulled that one out of the air.


in regards to the topic at hand, I say look at the parents .....to me this is just as equal as ppl blaming dogs for attacking someone when the handler makes/trains/treats him aggressive.

if you allow or except or encourage a behavior then what do you expect. if you let your kids sit in front of the tv for hours a day dont look confused if he/she is over weight and not motivated to play outside

dont blame sony or microsoft look into behaviors your allowing..

if your thirty or twenty something and play games thats ur choice we are adults and know when were getting lazy or missing outdoor time and it is what it is.... every decision has a consequence good and bad

i like to walk the line, in xbox land not to much but my xbox isnt dusty either.
War is delightful to those who have not experienced it.
-- Desiderius Erasmus
dilydaly
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 514
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 11:23 hours
(and 36 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact